Thread: A Look At Some Picks (Week 3)

Threads : 77
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default A Look At Some Picks (Week 3)

Here comes week 3 of the top 10 picks as judged by yours truly, I changed it to Top 10 cause I know you all can't wait for my projected picks for the Pens and I've decided to speed things up. That means that I'll only cover my top 10 before moving to the players we as Penguins fans should be excited about. That article will be published in about three weeks time cause I'm still gathering intel.
    This week I'll be looking at some good offensive picks that can make a splash in the NHL.

No5 Brett Connolly/Prince George Cougars (Actual Ranking No3)

A really complete player that can add bulk to his already impressive frame. Although not overly physical, he finishes his checks and can play with an edge which means that with some experience he can really become a prime time NHL power forward. His most impressive feature is his scoring ability. In 2008-09 he scored 30 goals in 65 games and this year, which was shortened by injury, he tallied 10 goals in just 16 games played. The reason he scores so much is mainly because of two things - his net presence, ability to get to rebounds and a blazing, accurate shot. Many of the NHL scouts have described Connolly as a natural leader with good on-ice awareness that can step right in and help a team. My guess is he still needs a year of seasoning but with the right attitude he can become an impact player in the NHL but the question mark may be his groin area that might persuade some teams to pass him up. The team that does pick him may strike a jackpot.

NHL COMPARISON: A slightly smaller Rick Nash with better around the net skills and slightly worse overall package.

No6 Alexander Burmistrov/Barrie Colts (Actual Ranking No11)

A great great hockey mind at the tender age of 18, the guy has a hockey IQ that's unparalleled in this year's draft. He's very shifty and fast, with a tendency to make people stand up when he's got the puck. Burmistrov can make teammates better with his fine passing skills. Every time his stick touches the puck something good happens. Unlike most Russian players, he has a supreme work rate and is a workaholic on the ice. Never gives up on a play, wins puck battles and works hard in the corners. To me, NHL scouting put this kid too low on their list and I suspect he will do much more than his draft position suggests. His shot, although not yet fully refined, is good and he's improved it greatly this year. That shows a mindset of a dedicated athlete. The team that drafts this kid will be greatly surprised when they see that their new Alex Kovalev or Max Afinogenov can play defense and works hard every shift. Who wouldn't want a player like that?

NHL COMPARISON: A two way Alex Kovalev, Maxim Afinogenov with passing skills.
    Last edited by Kipper; Jun-02-2010 at 07:29 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information