Thread: A sports mad world has gone insane

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default A sports mad world has gone insane

OK... This is such a "generic" article in terms of which sport it belongs under, so I just decided to post it here since it's the off-season... If anyone has a suggestion on it belonging in a different Tavern, I'll gladly move it...

5/30/2010
    A sports mad world has gone insane
    Observer-Reporter
    By John Steigerwald

When did we lose our sanity?

We have hockey in June, baseball in November and football in February. As Joe Butler of Metro Index Scouting Service recently pointed out on his blog, by 2014, when (speaking of insanity) the Super Bowl will be played in New Jersey, it might be almost March when the game is played.

The NFL is seriously considering a 17- or 18-game regular season and adding more teams to the playoffs. That could push the game beyond the first week of February.

Then there is the Big Ten insanity. First, no one bats an eye over the fact that there are 11 teams in a conference that calls itself the Big Ten. Now, there's talk the Big Ten could expand to as many as 16 teams. Rutgers is considered the front runner from the Big East. If Rutgers leaves the Big East and joins the Big Ten, that would mean Penn State would be playing Rutgers on a regular basis but not Pitt.

How insane is that?

I'm looking forward to the Stanley Cup Finals between two teams from good hockey towns, Chicago and Philadelphia, but don't we have to be insane if we've reached the point where playing the biggest hockey games of the year in June doesn't even seem all that insane anymore?

The seventh game of the World Series was scheduled for November last year. That's hockey in June. Baseball in November. The world is upside down.

Then there is the story of Matthew Clemens. He's the 21-year-old slob who intentionally vomited on an 11-year-old girl at a Phillies game at Citizen's Bank Park in Philadelphia on Wednesday. That's right. Matthew, after heckling a guy and his two daughters sitting in front of him, stuck his finger down his throat and threw up on the girl.

At what point do sports teams have to start thinking about not selling beer at their games?

Remember, it was in the same ballpark that a 17-year-old kid was brought down in the outfield by a cop with a Taser. The worst part about the Clemens story is that he's probably not going to get prison time. It's a good thing for him that I wasn't the judge. I would have tried for life in prison and worked back from there.

I know he's only 21, but when you turn a kid's ballpark experience into what Clemens did to that little girl, in my book, you've pretty much forfeited your right to be out here on the outside with the rest of us.

Remember the father son team that came out of the stands at a White Sox game and beat up a first base coach? They didn't get jail time, either. Are the jails really that crowded that we can't find a spot for such people?

Speaking of life in prison, if I were in charge, that would be the punishment for any person who stands behind someone doing a live TV report and uses his cell phone to call his buddie, then starts waving and jumping up and down like a chimpanzee.

I watched several grown men making idiots of themselves behind Stan Savran and Paul Alexander of FSN during a live pregame show to Game 7 with the Canadiens at Mellon Arena. Have any of the people who do this ever seen a tape of themselves ?

Joe Paterno did an interview on the 93.7 The Fan morning show a few days ago. And he gave the same lame excuse for why Penn State and Pitt can't play each other.

Money.

JoPa says that football funds the other 28 athletic teams at Penn State and he has to get seven home games. The Penn State women's softball team just finished a nice three week trip to New Mexico and San Diego. Does that make you feel any better about being subjected to Penn State-Youngstown State in the season opener at Happy Valley next September?

Does the field hockey team really need to play a Big Ten schedule and all the travel that goes with it? Does it make you feel good, when you pay for a YSU-PSU ticket, that the Field Hockey team's hotel in Iowa is covered?

If you're a Penguins fan, you probably have a deep and abiding hatred for the Philadelphia Flyers. If so, that's exactly why you should be rooting for them to win the Stanley Cup. It's that hatred that makes the games interesting. The Flyers coming into Consol Energy Center as defending champions would only add a little fuel to the fire. If the NHL is smart - and I know just how big that if is - it will schedule the Flyers for the Penguins first home game next season.

The Broad Street Bullies of the mid-70s and their total domination of the Penguins is the root cause of that hatred. Even if it means putting your feelings aside, you really should force yourself to watch HBO's documentary on that team. Nobody does sports documentaries better than HBO and this one is every bit as good as all the others. Come to think of it, nobody does TV better than HBO.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...30-Steigerwald
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

Default Re: A sports mad world has gone insane

If you think that any of this in insane then you should try following soccer in the UK. Places where fans throw darts at the opposing goalies and chant things that can't be repeated here.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandgold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you think that any of this in insane then you should try following soccer in the UK. Places where fans throw darts at the opposing goalies and chant things that can't be repeated here.
    Yea... I remember seeing flak jackets being marketed to fans that will be attending the World Cup.

... Nothing like having a bullett-proof jacket with your team's logo on it for a target...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 182

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Yea... I remember seeing flak jackets being marketed to fans that will be attending the World Cup.

... Nothing like having a bullett-proof jacket with your team's logo on it for a target...
    THanks for posting this article. To me it seems pretty obvious that a lot of folks who attend sporting events are "mad" at something in their lives or at someone else and they enjoy taking out frustration on things that they should not.

Consider this. going from memory here. When NFL films wanted to show scenes from a regular season games throughout the season for chicago bears yearly NFL films film, the owner of the bears wanted to impress upon others watching the film that the fans of chicago were very intellectual and sophisticated. So he asked NFL films to use footage of another stadium's fans in the film NFL films put out for the bears that year. I believe they used the washington redskins fans cause they were dressed much nicer and more mature than the fans of the home town bears.

I may have the names of the teams mixed up and its my words what the owner wanted to protray but the point is this. THere are lot of emotionally charged people going to games and this was over 30 years ago. At the pro bowl this year before the game or maybe the day before the game (I forget which) grown men were literally pushing others out of the wayjust to get autographs (a waste of time to me) of "famous" nfl athletes. I found this quite disturbing, but I'm sure it happens all the time. I tend to agree with John Steigerwalds assessment -- he is one whose not afraid to tell it like it is. too bad more of the media is not like him or doesn't have the guts that that guy does to speak his own mind and is not afraid to call a spade a spade.
    Last edited by steel0710; May-30-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This article seems to reinforce why I call the author "John Steigerwank".

Oh noes! An 18 game season? Try Rugby Union in the UK. Play from August to May and the top-flight players then end up on the annual international tours, making a full 11-11 1/2 months of playing with maybe a week off before getting back to the treadmill.

Here's how I'd reform the NFL over the next 4 years: Eliminate the wild-card games: Top 2 teams from each division are in the play-offs. No free passes, you play for seeding position. Voila. Simplified play-off set-up. No big tricks and suddenly the divisional game gain extra importance, which seems to be what the schedulers want.

I know I strayed from my main point but here's a recap. If you can complain that there's too much of your favoured sport about, you might want to take up macrame instead.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This article seems to reinforce why I call the author "John Steigerwank".

Oh noes! An 18 game season? Try Rugby Union in the UK. Play from August to May and the top-flight players then end up on the annual international tours, making a full 11-11 1/2 months of playing with maybe a week off before getting back to the treadmill.

Here's how I'd reform the NFL over the next 4 years: Eliminate the wild-card games: Top 2 teams from each division are in the play-offs. No free passes, you play for seeding position. Voila. Simplified play-off set-up. No big tricks and suddenly the divisional game gain extra importance, which seems to be what the schedulers want.

I know I strayed from my main point but here's a recap. If you can complain that there's too much of your favoured sport about, you might want to take up macrame instead.
    Exactly. I think the plan is to actually start the season early by 2 weeks so it would end at the same time unless you add more playoff games. I don't know what you do about that. Every year there is a couple good teams that get left out but I think that is what makes the last few weeks of the season so compelling because essentially half the league is in the playoff mode before it even starts. My feeling is that they need less preseason games more than they need more regular season games but it is going to have to balance out that way.

If you can complain that there's too much of your favoured sport about, you might want to take up macrame instead.
    ..... True Dat!

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Exactly. I think the plan is to actually start the season early by 2 weeks so it would end at the same time unless you add more playoff games. I don't know what you do about that. Every year there is a couple good teams that get left out but I think that is what makes the last few weeks of the season so compelling because essentially half the league is in the playoff mode before it even starts. My feeling is that they need less preseason games more than they need more regular season games but it is going to have to balance out that way.
    I'd trade a couple of pre-seasons for actual competitive games. Coaches have had all summer to figure out who's in and who's out. Preseason 4 is a last hurrah for the outsies. I'm sorry for those guys, but it should be fairly obvious.

There's a lot of off-season in football and, frankly, staff should be working (with the exception of their vacation time) toward improvement and after the draft, it's "try it, test it, streamline it".

If it's applied unilaterally within the league, no probs - the only thing it would do is underline certain managerial weaknesses within organisations, which can be corrected.

Sounds to me like Steigerwank just wants to get to the point where he can hit the beach a bit sooner. Well, sunshine, tough titty. Not gonna happen - you'll just have to slog it out like the rest of us!
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 182

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandgold View Post
    Yes I have heard stories and I agree its pretty tame here.

Here is another interesting exercise. Go back and watch tape from 30-40 years ago in the NFL and you'll see a lot less ego's and unselfishness. Players make a play and they walk back to the huddle -- very little ego's and just acting like you have done it before. no hotdogging -- although they did hit harder and QB's aren't protected like they are today. but compared to hockey the NFL is very well officiated. Hockey is ludicrous all the fighting just crazy.

I'd trade a couple of pre-seasons for actual competitive games. Coaches have had all summer to figure out who's in and who's out. Preseason 4 is a last hurrah for the outsies. I'm sorry for those guys, but it should be fairly obvious.

There's a lot of off-season in football and, frankly, staff should be working (with the exception of their vacation time) toward improvement and after the draft, it's "try it, test it, streamline it".

If it's applied unilaterally within the league, no probs - the only thing it would do is underline certain managerial weaknesses within organisations, which can be corrected.

Sounds to me like Steigerwank just wants to get to the point where he can hit the beach a bit sooner. Well, sunshine, tough titty. Not gonna happen - you'll just have to slog it out like the rest of us!
    Longer season means you would have to increase the roster size so you get to keep guys that might other wise get cut in pre-season. Problem solved. 4 pre-season games is ridiculous imo especially in the days of OTA's and everything. They are already sorting out the positions and camp is still a ways away.

Longer season means you would have to increase the roster size so you get to keep guys that might other wise get cut in pre-season. Problem solved. 4 pre-season games is ridiculous imo especially in the days of OTA's and everything. They are already sorting out the positions and camp is still a ways away.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information