Thread: Pac-10 becoming a "mega-conference"?

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pac-10 becoming a "mega-conference"?

Apparently there is serious truth to the possibility of Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State going to the Pac-10 to form basically a "mega conference"... However, if Missouri and Nebraska re-commit to the Big-12, it may not happen.

They just broke all the news on ESPN, and said there are offers of 2,4, and 6 team expansion possibilities.

Personally, I like the situation... 7 of the top 20 markets in the west would be represented... And the Pac-10 wants to start their own television network... What better way than adding these schools with the included huge fanbase of the Longhorns.

Guess we'll see soon enough....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Expansion talk swirls for conferences
    ESPN.com news services
    June 4, 2010

Speculation continues to swirl around the future make-up of the Pac-10 and Big 12 as both conferences hold meetings to discuss what's next in college sports' impending game of musical chairs.

Add to that a report Friday from the Columbus Dispatch that Ohio State president Gordon Gee has had an e-mail conversation about expansion with his counterpart at Texas, William Powers, and the Big Ten's future is also in the news.

"I did speak with Bill Powers at Texas, who would welcome a call to say they have a 'Tech' problem," Gee wrote in an e-mail sent to Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany and obtained by The Columbus Dispatch through a public-records request for documents and correspondence related to Big Ten expansion proposals. The Tech problem presumably involves Texas Tech, a school some feel would have to come with Texas and Texas A&M in any bid for those schools to join the Big Ten.

The day before writing about his conversation with Powers, Gee wrote Delany to say he was "of the mind that we control our destiny at the moment, but the window will soon close on us. Agility and swiftness of foot is our friend."

Delany said: "We are fast-tracking it but need to know the $ and observe contracts," according to the Dispatch.

The Big 12, meeting this week in Kansas City amid rumors of a breakup, seems to have come out intact -- for now.

Commissioner Don Beebe said Friday that he is "comfortable" the league will remain intact.

Nevertheless,Beebe failed in four days of league meetings to get a commitment that all 12 schools would spurn whatever invitations might come in from other leagues looking to expand.

Instead, he spoke of a "process" that was put in place, but refused to describe it or reveal the drop-dead date when schools must declare whether they're going to stay or leave the 14-year-old conference.

The presidents are scheduled to meet again in October.

"I am comfortable," Beebe said as meetings wrapped up. "There's still a process we're going through but based on the conversations we had I think we're in a very good position."

He said that process will "assure the solidification" of the Big 12.

"The process that has been set is firm. But I'm not going to engage in what that is," he said.

From the Pac-10 side, University of Washington athletic director Scott Woodward said Thursday that reports of a larger Pac-10 are "all speculation," but he did concede to the Seattle Times that "there is an enormous amount of speculation about conference expansion right now and I think with the Pac-10 that anything is possible, all the way from remaining with the status quo, where we are today, to a full merger with the Big 12 and anything in between. All possibilities are viable and open for discussion."

The Pac-10 meets this weekend in San Francisco. Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott said the Pac-10 continues to conduct an "exhaustive and proactive" evaluation of the league and its future.

Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione said possible ties with the Pac-10 were discussed on Thursday in the Big 12 meetings.

"I think there's some potential value there," he said. "We had one meeting with some of the members of the Pac-10. It wasn't a scheduled meeting. We brainstormed some of the possibilities that may exist. Since then, both our commissioner and Larry Scott have had conversations. It leads one to believe there are some real viable opportunities for both leagues."

Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn said he and others had been led to believe the Pac-10 was on the verge of issuing invitations to six members of the Big 12.

"The longer that we were together in Kansas City it appeared that that rumor or speculation did have some validity to it," Bohn told the Boulder Daily Camera.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5251329
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 691

Default Re: Pac-10 becoming a "mega-conference"?

Personally, I like the situation... 7 of the top 20 markets in the west would be represented... And the Pac-10 wants to start their own television network... What better way than adding these schools with the included huge fanbase of the Longhorns

I'm with ya Dave,I'm all for the mega conferences,and their own networks. I would like to see this eliminate the major teams having to schedule cupcake opponents for an extra couple of home games just for the money.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I'm with ya Dave,I'm all for the mega conferences,and their own networks. I would like to see this eliminate the major teams having to schedule cupcake opponents for an extra couple of home games just for the money.
    Yea, I can see a Pac-16 "mega conference", as well as a Big-12 (or even Big-14) "mega conference"... Unfortunately, that would be the demise of what we've known of the current Big-12, and Big East... And if I were president for a day, I'd tell Notre Dame to "**** or get off the pot" and join the Big East in all sports or get out of all sports... No half-way stuff.

But you're right about scheduling cupcake teams to a great extent.... Take for example, the possible Pack-16... That would mean 8 teams bracketed into divisions and each team playing at least 7 conference games... The question would be whether you throw-in other conference games or allow cupcake teams to be scheduled.

I think it all will be very interesting and promising... I'm actually excited about the possibilities.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 691

Pac-10 to decide by end of yearEmail Print Comments294 By Mark Saxson
    ESPNLosAngeles.com
    Archive
    SAN FRANCISCO -- Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott emerged from the final day of conference meetings Sunday and announced that university presidents and chancellors have given him all the authority he needs to expand the Pac-10.

"What direction that process takes still could go in different directions, everything from remaining as we are as a Pac-10 that's got some very bright days ahead of it to a bigger conference footprint," Scott said. "I have the authority to take it in different directions, depending on various scenarios and discussions we're going to have."

Pac-10 blog
    ESPN.com's Ted Miller writes about all things Pac-10 in his conference blog.

• Blog network:
    College Football Nation

Scott wouldn't give any timeframe for expansion talks -- other than to reiterate that the deadline is the end of this year -- or discuss specific schools. However, it sounds as if he will aggressively court some of the biggest names in college sports, including Texas. The Big 12 is in danger of collapsing and could provide the Pac-10 with six new teams or more.

The Big 12 reportedly gave Missouri and Nebraska an ultimatum of Friday to decide if they will remain in the Big 12. If those schools leave, the Pac-10 could be strategically situated to gobble up Big 12 teams looking for bigger opportunities, including Texas. The most widely discussed scenario has Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado joining the Pac-10. There was some indication Sunday that Baylor could replace Colorado under pressure from the Texas Legislature.

"You've read about an awful lot of ideas. I'm not sure I've read every single one, but we probably have contemplated or are contemplating almost everything you've read about," Scott said. "The Pac-10's in a very fortunate position."

In addition to giving Scott the power to negotiate expansion, the conference also has made him the only voice on the matter. A handful of school presidents and chancellors declined comment when asked about the expansion talks as they left the final day of meetings at the Westin St. Francis hotel.

Washington president Mark Emmert, who will take over as the next chief executive of the NCAA in November, described the discussions as "Good. Good, but complicated."

Because the Pac-10 has to work out individual agreements with each of the schools involved and has to overcome major logistical issues, including complex travel scenarios, it's hard to imagine anything getting done in a matter of days. Scott said it's possible the expansion announcement could come as early as July 27, the first day of the Pac-10 football media days in New York. The new schools wouldn't join the Pac-10 until the 2012-2013 school year, Scott said.

The Pac-10 begins negotiating its new TV agreement at the end of this year and Scott said he needs to know the makeup of his conference before he sits down with TV executives. There are reports that expansion could be worth as much as $20 million per school. Scott hired the Creative Artists Agency to help negotiate the conference's next media deal.

One unnamed Big 12 school administrator told The American-Statesman of Austin, "I've talked to the Pac-10. There is an invitation. When it comes, it'll come fast."

Said Scott: "We absolutely could move more quickly if we needed to, but we're under no pressure to decide anything earlier than the end of the year."

Because the Big 12 is feeling the squeeze, Scott said he reached out to that conference's commissioner Dan Beebe and to several other conference commissioners. The collapse of the Big 12 would create an upheaval in the landscape of college sports that stretched from coast to coast.

"I know there's some anxiety being created there," Scott said.

Expansion isn't the only agenda on Scott's plate. He said he will unveil a series of marketing initiatives at the July 27 media day that will include airing Pac-10 games in Asian countries.

"The West Coast is the gateway to the Pacific Rim," Scott said. "We've got a lot of student-athletes with Asian roots. Some of our schools have a very high level of brand recognition in Asia and a lot of international interest. I think we're
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information