Thread: Steelers Help In Fight Against Childhood Obesity

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers Help In Fight Against Childhood Obesity

Great to do this for the kids... I really do admire it... Now... What can be done for poor saps like me?...
    --------------------------------
    Jun 4, 2010
    Steelers Help In Fight Against Childhood Obesity

(here's a vid clip of Mendy talking about it)
    http://kdka.com/video/?id=72987@kdka.dayport.com

[IMGL]http://i48.tinypic.com/13z96o2.jpg[/IMGL]PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says more than 72 million American adults are obese, and that doesn't include another 30 million children in the U.S. with the same problem.

Obesity rates for kids have tripled since 1980.

So, today, two Steelers were doing their part to help local kids fight the battle of the bulge.

After completing the NFL's Play 60 Initiative, students at South Hills Middle School were cheering about healthy living.

"To have them as responsive as they were; to have them throwing up their hands and their Terrible Towels and stuff like that, that was awesome because you know they were having a good time," said wide receiver Brandon London.

He and running back Rashard Mendenhall made the visit to South Hills Middle School as a reward for the kids' hard work.

The players used props to show the difference between five pounds of fat and five pounds of muscle.

It's the NFL's way to encourage 60 minutes of physical activity a day and less time playing video games.

By finishing the program, there is a nice reward for the school, too.

"This could pay for buses for field trips, for uniforms for sports. We could do a lot with a thousand dollars," said Dr. Deborah Cox, the principal at South Hills Middle School. "We are very happy to have participated and to have the Steelers as partners with us."

Mendenhall recently testified on Capitol Hill of his support of Play 60 and says picking up a blitzing linebacker is less frightening.

"You get nervous for football, but I've been doing that my whole life - that's comfortable for me," said Mendenhall. "But to be in front of people and testify in an atmosphere like that, it was a great experience and I love being involved in a conversation like that, but it was a way different feeling."

So, now he hopes the efforts to encourage activity will catch on too.

"America as a whole, when you look around, you see so many people overweight," he said. "It didn't really hit me until I went to another country and realized that it wasn't like that everywhere else."

http://kdka.com/sports/students.Stee...2.1733284.html

In a related article from a few months ago...

Mar 4, 2010
    Mendenhall Joins Fight Against Childhood Obesity

WASHINGTON (KDKA) ― A Senate committee hearing on health focused on the childhood obesity today and a Pittsburgh Steelers running back was part of the debate.

"The benefits of good health translate to the classroom where studies show that fit students are less likely to have disciplinary problems," said the Steelers' Rashard Mendenhall. "Healthy students also perform better on standardized tests."

Mendenhall testified today about why he supports the NFL's Play 60 Initiative that encourages kids to play at least 60 minutes a day.

"Schools need to serve healthy food and set higher nutrition standards," said Surgeon General Dr. Regina Benjamin. "Schools should also require physical education classes as well as recess."

Less than a month ago, First Lady Michelle Obama made fighting obesity her top priority.

"It's a nationwide campaign to rally this country around a single ambitious goal, and that is to solve the problem of childhood obesity in a generation. So that the kids born today will reach adulthood at a healthy weight," said Obama.

But will the involvement of the First Lady or even an NFL star guarantee success?

"Role models are great. I think it's wonderful that they come out and start bringing attention to this. The First Lady's efforts on this are commendable, but people need to start answering to this and take responsibility," said Erin McClelland, of Arche Wellness. "They need to listen to the message and interpret into action in their own home and start really exercising these principles that they are hearing."

And perhaps more will listen to Mendenhall's suggestion that it's time to work harder at playing more.

"That kids understand it's not just playing sports, it's about doing what you are interested in - whatever that is," he said. "Whether it's jump-roping - or with me something I'm personally interested in a lot is dancing - and I've taken numerous dance classes to move myself and I've actually taught a couple classes to high schools in my area."

http://kdka.com/steelers/Rashard.Men...2.1537628.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 440

Default Re: Steelers Help In Fight Against Childhood Obesity

this is a great cause, i coach youth soccer and it amazes me how many young boys and girls are grossly overweight at way too young of an age...

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers Help In Fight Against Childhood Obesity

With Ben's weight loss, it looks like its up to Casey Hampton to keep the Ding Dongs and Butterfinger's out of the hands of today's youth!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information