Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Doumit Getting Extensive Work at 1B

Threads : 138

Default Ryan Doumit Getting Extensive Work at 1B

I was watching the Pirate telecast last night and the announcers pointed that Doumit had been putting in extensive work at first base in the afternoons. I thought this was surprising.. not sure what to make of it..

- Maybe they really like Doumit's bat and are preparing for the eventual arrival of Tony Sanchez?

- Maybe they have completely given up on Jeff Clement? Its seemed like just when Clement was turning the corner and starting to hit they yanked him.

- Jaramillio is a decent backup. I don't think a lineup of Doumit it first and Jaramillio behind the plate is much of an improvement.

- Doumit has been very poor at throwing out runners. Pitchers (especially Morton) haven't helped much but he seems to double-clutch before each throw. Maybe they just decided his future is at first.

- NH is very focused on value. Doumit's bat is above average for a catcher. I think its pretty average or even below average at first base.

Any ideas? What is NH (and Russell) thinking here?

Default Re: Ryan Doumit Getting Extensive Work at 1B

The announcers (Blass and Brown?) led me to believe this was a little more extensive than two sessions... Dejan had this to say:

"Catcher Ryan Doumit has had two sessions of taking grounders at first base in the past week, with a goal of using him there on days he does not catch. That idea first was broached in spring training, but this is the first time it has been put to practice.

Doumit briefly played first under previous manager Jim Tracy.

"It's coming along," Doumit said."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10156...#ixzz0q06tg9bH

Threads : 215

I like Jones in left and Doumit in right. All the rest of the catchers are good now and in the future.

As I was corrected, in another thread, the Buccos need to keep Crosby for a while and I still like DELWYN Young, but have been wrong before.

That leaves Clement with 1st and some capable backups. Maybe DELWYN should take some balls at first. Is he tall enough?

I hate to go bust on a guy, but say bye to Aki! Church's days may be numbered also.

Karstens deserves some respect! I am now a fan of Jeff Karstens. ( sounds facebook, don't it?)

I get to watch the game at home tonight and am excited, since I have not watched much baseball this year. I have listened to many on the MLB app on my Incredible.
    Last edited by CROSSBONES; Jun-05-2010 at 12:39 PM.

We could have a whole baseball field full of converted catchers, or at least converted players. What ever happen to that first baseman/pitcher?

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

on our team Doumit is an average bat most anywhere he plays, but for the rest of the league, he's only a plus offensively behind the plate. We need his bat in there when we can get it, but I really do think we're best served to try to find other options for non-C players (which we're doing).

Garrett Jones in that massive expanse of LF....are you serious? Lastings is not GG fielder, but Jones would be embarassing out there. He's deceptively fast for a man his size, but please don't confuse speed with quickness. A small RF is where he belongs if you're going to keep him in the OF. Personally, I think he should go back to 1b.

Quote Originally Posted by just_ridin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    on our team Doumit is an average bat most anywhere he plays, but for the rest of the league, he's only a plus offensively behind the plate. We need his bat in there when we can get it, but I really do think we're best served to try to find other options for non-C players (which we're doing).

Garrett Jones in that massive expanse of LF....are you serious? Lastings is not GG fielder, but Jones would be embarassing out there. He's deceptively fast for a man his size, but please don't confuse speed with quickness. A small RF is where he belongs if you're going to keep him in the OF. Personally, I think he should go back to 1b.

He has played left in Pittsburgh and very well.

Threads : 18

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    He has played left in Pittsburgh and very well.
    How many games? how many balls did he have to chase into the notch?

I'm not saying he's not a good RF....he's not great, but does a good job out there.

Doumit in RF doesn't have a plus bat, and his defense isn't good either. If you want a new LF you bring up Tabata and put his speed over there, but our D isn't good as-is.

He may not make many errors, but don't lull yourself into believing he's good defensively. He might turn into a Nate, meaning he catches the balls he gets to, but doesn't get to alot of the ones he should.

More from Dejan today. Hmmm.

UPDATE 3:25 p.m.: Ryan Doumit is out on the field taking more grounders at first, this marking a third day for that now. Carlos Garcia is doing the hitting, and Doumit ... looks pretty good, actually. Not game situations, obviously, but some good athleticism.

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    I was watching the Pirate telecast last night and the announcers pointed that Doumit had been putting in extensive work at first base in the afternoons. I thought this was surprising.. not sure what to make of it..

- Maybe they really like Doumit's bat and are preparing for the eventual arrival of Tony Sanchez?

- Maybe they have completely given up on Jeff Clement? Its seemed like just when Clement was turning the corner and starting to hit they yanked him.

- Jaramillio is a decent backup. I don't think a lineup of Doumit it first and Jaramillio behind the plate is much of an improvement.

- Doumit has been very poor at throwing out runners. Pitchers (especially Morton) haven't helped much but he seems to double-clutch before each throw. Maybe they just decided his future is at first.

- NH is very focused on value. Doumit's bat is above average for a catcher. I think its pretty average or even below average at first base.

Any ideas? What is NH (and Russell) thinking here?

I like JJ behind the plate. Doumit at 1st or right to me makes them better. I don't get it with Clement either, he was doing better than ever and Pearce will be back soon also. If I were Milledge I would be worried. Maybe they are preparing to trade Doumit and figure he is more valuable with more positions played. On a side note, good to see our "corner sub" doing 10 times better than Aki.

JR had an epiphany today... In a move that is long overdue and has been screaming to be made (IMO), Ryan Doumit will be betting third.

Pirates:

1. Andrew McCutchen, CF
    2. Neil Walker, 2B
    3. Ryan Doumit, C
    4. Garrett Jones, 1B
    5. Delwyn Young, RF
    6. Andy LaRoche, 3B
    7. Lastings Milledge, LF
    8. Ronny Cedeno, SS
    9. Maholm, P

Threads : 197

The team seems to have chosen the strangest time to completely give up on Jeff Clement. They let him struggle for a pretty long time, sat him for a little to try to figure things out, he had a pretty decent stretch when he was plugged back in, now he's sitting every day. Ryan Church, Delwyn Young, Bobby Crosby, soon Ryan Doumit, etc. Everyone is ahead of him on the depth chart, but for some reason they won't send him to AAA so he can actually play. I can't make any sense of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    The team seems to have chosen the strangest time to completely give up on Jeff Clement. They let him struggle for a pretty long time, sat him for a little to try to figure things out, he had a pretty decent stretch when he was plugged back in, now he's sitting every day. Ryan Church, Delwyn Young, Bobby Crosby, soon Ryan Doumit, etc. Everyone is ahead of him on the depth chart, but for some reason they won't send him to AAA so he can actually play. I can't make any sense of it.
    I agree with your thoughts.

Threads : 158

Ditto jnn123.

More from Dejan:

Doumit could be ready to see time at first base in the next 7-10 days. John Russell described the first three sessions as "very good" and said Doumit actually could play the position immediately if needed.

No one ran on Doumit when he played right field. He has a hell of a right field arm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information