Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin contract not a done deal

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tomlin contract not a done deal

Very fair article, echoes a lot of the sentiments, to the 't', of myself and others on here.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_684884.html

Harris: Tomlin contract not a done deal

Since the close of the 2009 season, I've deliberated over when and why Steelers coach Mike Tomlin will sign a eagerly anticipated contract extension. Or, if he deserves one.

As we enter the second week in June, with offseason workouts concluding Thursday and Tomlin entering the final year of his contract, my thoughts are clear.

I don't believe the Steelers' brass is completely sold on Tomlin.

Several factors nudged me toward that opinion.

When Tomlin won Super Bowl XLIII in his second season, becoming the youngest coach in NFL history to do so, his star was never higher. Yet, the Steelers didn't pull the trigger on a new deal.

Maybe Tomlin's asking price is too high. Or, maybe the Steelers want more time to determine if Tomlin is another George Seifert or Barry Switzer coaches who won a Super Bowl with someone else's players.

Does Tomlin deserve a contract extension? Of course he does.

But contract extensions should be a joyous occasion for both sides. The lack of urgency toward a new deal for Tomlin has become quite painful.

What strikes a nerve for me about the lack of a new deal for Tomlin is the team's track record for taking care of its coaches who win.

Tomlin's three-year coaching record is 31-17 with two playoff appearances. He's 3-1 in the postseason.

Consider that Steelers management never failed to re-sign Bill Cowher with fewer than two years on his contract until the last moment.

In 2006, the sides failed to agree on a new deal. When Cowher resigned following the 2006 season, he had one year left on his contract.

In January, team president Art Rooney II told the Tribune-Review, "I think Mike's going to be our coach for a long time. That's certainly what we're shooting for, and that's his intention, so we'll deal with it at the appropriate time."

The "appropriate time" might have been a few months ago, but a lot has happened since January. Not the least of which is that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will open the season apart from his teammates after violating the league's personal conduct policy.

Other significant changes have also taken place.

Rooney promised the Steelers will concentrate more on the run despite a record- setting passing output in 2009 not at all what Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians envisioned following last year's high-octane attack.

For another, the Steelers re-signed two players from other teams who lost their starting jobs under Tomlin linebacker Larry Foote and cornerback Bryant McFadden.

Rarely does a coach, particularly a Steelers coach, bring back players he determined were no longer starters after letting them go not to mention signing both players to contract extensions upon their return.

What's telling for me is a slight shift in philosophy on offense and defense away from Tomlin's point of view.

For instance, while Tomlin spoke repeatedly about his secondary needing to create more splash plays for example, interceptions during the team's five-game losing streak last season, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau told me recently, "I don't really use interceptions as an evaluating criteria. I think they're nice, they're good you want them. (But) the No. 1 thing is the other guy doesn't catch the ball."

Of course, the Steelers could sign Tomlin to a new deal before the end of the week. Management may want to have Tomlin's contract situation settled before the start of training camp July 30 so as to not create another distraction along with the media circus that's sure to shadow Roethlisberger around Latrobe.

After all, the last thing management wants to do is give players the impression that Tomlin, even though the team holds an option on his contract for the 2011 season, isn't going to be their coach for a long time unless he's not their long-term choice.

The same holds true for some of the assistants hired when Tomlin took over in 2007. That includes Arians, who was the target of offseason media reports that Tomlin considered letting him go a charge Tomlin denies.

Put another way: If the Steelers don't sign Tomlin to a new deal before the start of the season, it's a vote of no-confidence for a coach who made history in his second season.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tomlin contract not a done deal

Countdown until the inevitable LVG post....5....4.....3....

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that, in a lot of people's eyes, Tomlin is still somewhat unproven. I would take this as a make-or-break season for both Tomlin and Arians. Who knows what offers (if any) have been made or what figures Tomlin's agents have in mind...
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 21

He has taken this team to the playoffs 2 out o3 his first 3 seasons and has a SB ring on his resume, i fully exspect him to get a new contract by Agust cause if they dont, they will have to get in a bidding war with other teams.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ok, I have a problem with, "He won with someone else's players"

Super Bowl XL starters who weren't in Super Bowl 43: Randle-EL, Wilson, Faneca, Hartings, Marvel Smith, Kendall Simmons, Jerome Bettis, Dan Kreider, Kimo Von Oelhoffen, Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, Chris Hope,

Considering platoons and injuries that is about half of the starting lineup turned over.

I am not a Tomlin basher or a Tomlin lover, just trying to look at it objectively.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Super Bowl XL starters who weren't in Super Bowl 43: Randle-EL, Wilson, Faneca, Hartings, Marvel Smith, Kendall Simmons, Jerome Bettis, Dan Kreider, Kimo Von Oelhoffen, Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, Chris Hope,

Considering platoons and injuries that is about half of the starting lineup turned over.

I am not a Tomlin basher or a Tomlin lover, just trying to look at it objectively.
    And there you go......

Threads : 413

I still am not sure how much authority Tomlin has in personel decisions. Certainly his "wishes" are considered, but who ultimately pulls the trigger? For example, was it Tomlin's decision to cast off Holmes? You'd think if it was his responsibility for gameday stuff, he'd no way want rid of Santonio. Where does he fit into Foote and ARE's return?

Was it his fault that Ben got into the mess he is in and can Tomlin be blamed for the team's failures this year with Ben's situation or praised for overcoming the situation?

I still think that the Coach's job is to deal with the players on the field. If they don't perform, he might ask to get different players, but it's not his job to go get them.

So where does that leave his contract status. Personally, I think his lack of adjustment during a season hurts him and the Steelers may very well end up going in another direction. But that's why I'm just a fan and not part of the front office.

And the flipside, moreso the point I make:

How was that Tomlin's team?

What players did he bring in for that team?

What changes did he make on that team from the disappointing one the prior year?

What scheme did he bring in that was different than before that made it his team?

Threads : 3263

Does Tomlin deserve a contract extension? Of course he does.

What strikes a nerve for me about the lack of a new deal for Tomlin is the team's track record for taking care of its coaches who win.
    A couple of thoughts here... Does Tomlin deserve an extension? I personally say "yes", but I also have zero heartburn over waiting to see what he does. Moreso, making him earn it... In Cincinnati, they enjoyed a bit of a "revival" of sorts last season, but have not extended Lewis. I believe they are waiting to see if last year was a fluke or not... Maybe Steelers management is doing the same thing... Waiting to see if last season's disappointment was a fluke... I have no problem with that.

... As far as Harris' comment about the team's "track record" about taking care of it's coaches, he needs to remember that Dan is not running the team this time around. So a different approach or philosophy is not indicative of anything at this point, it's just "different".
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    And the flipside, moreso the point I make:

How was that Tomlin's team?

What players did he bring in for that team?

What changes did he make on that team from the disappointing one the prior year?

What scheme did he bring in that was different than before that made it his team?
    Vandelay and usually I am right on with you and maybe the internet is making our communication fuzzy.

Over half the starters weren't there for the Super Bowl 43 from Super Bowl 40 and you don't count that as changing personnel? Only Max Starks remained on the O-line.

Schemes: Defensively...none and rightfully so and by not changing this, Tomlin made a statement that even though he was the new Sheriff, if it wasn't broken why fix it? Sometimes new bosses make sweeping changes when they aren't necessary so I consider this a statement itself.

Offensively: I hate it but Arians scheme is quite different than the Mularkey, Whiz.....schemes.

Changes: 1 and the major one was giving Ben almost totally autonomy (I don't always agree with it).

2. OLB tandem of Harrison and Woodley ( I liked Cowher but he would have kept Harrison behind "Old Steady" Clark Haggans forever and who knows what would have happened with Porter had Cowher stayed)

3. What i Consider the biggest upgrade was the play of the CB's. For many years the CB's were an area of exploitation and in 2008 (Super Bowl 43 and playoffs)...In my opinion the CB's were the area I felt Tomlin most positively affected.
    (2009 season this play regressed undeniably)

Again I am not a Tomlin lover or hater...

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I for one think they are doing the right thing to wait and see. I am not convinced Tomlin should be a head coach anywhere in the NFL. If he helps get us back to the superbowl, I say, give him a 3 year extension. If we have anything less than a 1st round win in the play offs, send him packing.

Vandelay and usually I am right on with you and maybe the internet is making our communication fuzzy.

No, none at all. We're good. I'm just trying to express my point, as are you. No problems.

Over half the starters weren't there for the Super Bowl 43 from Super Bowl 40 and you don't count that as changing personnel? Only Max Starks remained on the O-line.

No I don't. Again, and I'll address it in a bit also, but what players did Tomlin (generically speaking to fit 'hits team') bring in that weren't already here. Starters or not...

Schemes: Defensively...none and rightfully so and by not changing this, Tomlin made a statement that even though he was the new Sheriff, if it wasn't broken why fix it? Sometimes new bosses make sweeping changes when they aren't necessary so I consider this a statement itself.

Agreed that he didn't change anything. But that furthers my point that he did nothing on his own merit, in defensive schemes, which is his supposed forte`, to change anything from his predecessor.

Offensively: I hate it but Arians scheme is quite different than the Mularkey, Whiz.....schemes.

I assume what you're getting at, the main thing, is moving more from the run to the pass, no? If so, then let's go by Ben's pass attempts because I would think that would be the clearest way to measure the offensive philosophy change:

In 2006, Cowher's last year, he had 469 pass attempts. In 2007, Tomlin and Arians first year, under the new 'pass happy' offense, he had 404 attempts. In 2008, he was back up to 469, the same as Cowher's last year. Last year of course he had 506 which was a big jump. Point being, Ben's throwing just as much as he did under Cowher at the end.

There's an obvious change in philosophy, no doubt, but one could argue that the jury's still out on whether it was a good change or not, thus making it not really a positive for Tomlin.

Changes: 1 and the major one was giving Ben almost totally autonomy (I don't always agree with it).

Agreed.

2. OLB tandem of Harrison and Woodley ( I liked Cowher but he would have kept Harrison behind "Old Steady" Clark Haggans forever and who knows what would have happened with Porter had Cowher stayed)

Woodley is one example of a guy brought in since Tomlin was hired. There is no inkling however as to what Cowher would've done with Harrison, as he progressed, who was here before Tomlin arrived.

3. What i Consider the biggest upgrade was the play of the CB's. For many years the CB's were an area of exploitation and in 2008 (Super Bowl 43 and playoffs)...In my opinion the CB's were the area I felt Tomlin most positively affected.
    (2009 season this play regressed undeniably)

But there again, is that a clear cut 'positive checkmark' for Tomlin? Those guys, personnel-wise, were already here though.

Again I am not a Tomlin lover or hater...

I think that he will be resigned, and deserves to be.

I'm just not completely sold on him because I am in the camp that believes he won the Super Bowl without changing much of anything from a prior coach's team/scheme etc.

As it stands, at this point in his career, he is Switzer and Siefert. So let's see which path he goes down after he gets his contract.

The Switzer path of flaming out and proving that you only won because of what was already there or more of the Siefert path in which he later on won a SB 'his way' and not his predecessor's.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    I think that he will be resigned, and deserves to be.

I'm just not completely sold on him because I am in the camp that believes he won the Super Bowl without changing much of anything from a prior coach's team/scheme etc.

As it stands, at this point in his career, he is Switzer and Siefert. So let's see which path he goes down after he gets his contract.

The Switzer path of flaming out and proving that you only won because of what was already there or more of the Siefert path in which he later on won a SB 'his way' and not his predecessor's.
    Well said, Mr. Importer/Exporter or wait is that latex sales??

Well said, Mr. Importer/Exporter or wait is that latex sales??
    All of the above...

Threads : 29

IMO, Art II is waiting to see how the offense/Arians/the running game go this year before he offers an extension. I think he wanted Arians gone but Tomlin didn't.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information