Thread: USC Hit Hard With NCAA Sanctions

Threads : 691

Default USC Hit Hard With NCAA Sanctions

NCAA delivers postseason football banEmail Print Comments1112 ESPN.com news services

USC Hit Hard With NCAA Sanctions
    Bruce Feldman and Kirk Herbstreit on the sanctions against USC
    Tags: College Football, Usc TrojansLearn More Report a bug Feedback
    USC Hit Hard With NCAA Sanctions
    The University of Southern California has received a two-year bowl ban and a sharp loss of football scholarships in a report on the NCAA's four-year investigation of the school.

The NCAA cited USC for a lack of institutional control Thursday in its long-awaited report, which detailed numerous violations primarily involving Heisman Trophy-winning tailback Reggie Bush and men's basketball player O.J. Mayo.

NCAA report
    The NCAA released a 67-page report detailing its findings in an investigation of the USC athletic program. Read it here. Report

The violations, which span almost four years, primarily involved "agent and amateurism issues for a former football student-athlete and a former men's basketball student-athlete," the NCAA wrote in its report.

USC said it would appeal portions of the penalty.

"We acknowledge that violations occurred and we take full responsibility for them," said Todd Dickey, USC's senior vice president for administration, in a statement. "However, we sharply disagree with many of the findings in the NCAA Committee on Infractions Report. Further, we feel the penalties imposed are too severe for the violations identified in the report."

The NCAA found that Bush was ineligible beginning at least by December 2004, a ruling that could open discussion on the revocation of his Heisman Trophy. Members of the Heisman Trophy Trust have said they might review Bush's award if he was ruled ineligible by the NCAA.

"The Heisman Trophy Trust will have a comment at the appropriate time," the group said in a statement. "Until that time, it will have no comment."

The NCAA also ordered USC to vacate every victory in which Bush participated while ineligible. USC beat Oklahoma in the BCS championship game on Jan. 4, 2005, and won 12 games during Bush's Heisman-winning 2005 season, which ended with a loss to Texas in the Rose Bowl.

"I have a great love for the University of Southern California and I very much regret the turn that this matter has taken, not only for USC, but for the fans and players," Bush said in a statement.

"I am disappointed by [Thursday's] decision and disagree with the NCAA's findings. If the University decides to appeal, I will continue to cooperate with the NCAA and USC, as I did during the investigation. In the meantime, I will continue to focus on making a positive impact for the University and for the community where I live," Bush said.

The ruling is a sharp repudiation of the Trojans' decade of success under former coach Pete Carroll, when USC won seven straight Pac-10 titles and two national championships. Carroll left the school for the NFL's Seattle Seahawks in January.

While the bowl ban is the most damaging to new coach Lane Kiffin, USC also will lose 30 scholarships over a three-year period, 10 annually from 2011-13. The Trojans received four years of probation.

The Trojans have been under a growing cloud of suspicion since Bush's apparently shady dealings with aspiring sports marketers and sketchy businessmen were first revealed. The NCAA, the Pac-10 and even the FBI conducted investigations into the Bush family's business relationships and USC's responsibility for the culture around its marquee football team.

USC reaction
    The NCAA threw down the gauntlet, as ESPN.com's Ted Miller details. The penalties exceed in severity sanctions Alabama received in 2002 and Washington in 1993. Blog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the postseason ban will hurt, it's the loss of scholarships that will impact USC the most and Lane Kiffin & Co. will have their work cut out for them on the recruiting trail, as ESPN.com's Tom Luginbill notes. Blog

USC is the first Football Bowl Subdivision school to be banned from postseason play since Alabama served a two-year ban ending in 2003. The NCAA issued no bowl bans during the tenure of late president Myles Brand, but the NCAA reportedly regained interest in the punishment over the past year.

USC has long been known for its lenient admission policy at football practice, which during Carroll's tenure was open to almost anybody who wanted to watch. No longer: The NCAA also prohibited all non-university personnel, except media and a few others, from attending practices and camps or even standing on the sidelines during games.

While coming down hard on the football team, the NCAA largely accepted the terms of USC's self-imposed punishment on its men's basketball team.

USC banned itself from postseason play last season, stripped one scholarship for last season and the upcoming season, and reduced its recruiting abilities over the next year. The Trojans also vacated their 21 victories during the 2007-08 season under former coach Tim Floyd, who was accused of giving cash to a middleman who helped steer Mayo to USC.

Below is a statement from UTEP Director of Athletics Bob Stull in response to today's NCAA/USC conference call. Coach Tim Floyd is en route to El Paso and we hope to issue a statement from him later in the day - but it may be an hour or two before we can get it out.

"We are pleased with today's announcement and the results of the NCAA's report," UTEP athletic director Bob Stull said in a statement. "Tim Floyd has had a nearly 30-year relationship with UTEP and we regard him not only as an outstanding coach, but as an individual of the highest character. I'm sure that Tim is happy to put this behind him and we look forward to him leading our basketball program."

In announcing its appeal, USC said it would accept the rulings for men's basketball and women's tennis.

"We will accept those sanctions we believe to be consistent with penalties imposed upon other NCAA member institutions found guilty of similar rules infractions," Dickey said. "We are hopeful that the NCAA Infractions Appeals Committee will agree with our position on appeal, and reduce the penalties."

"There is a systemic problem facing college athletes today: unscrupulous sports agents and sports marketers," Dickey said in the statement. "The question is how do we identify them and keep them away from our student-athletes? To provide us with recommendations about the best way to protect our student-athletes and their families from those who seek to violate the rules, we have retained the Freeh Group, headed by former federal judge and ex-FBI director Louis Freeh.

"Our success in athletics and the outstanding individuals we recruit make our student-athletes an attractive target for those seeking to take unfair advantage of them," Dickey said. "We cannot and will not tolerate this. Our program must set the highest standards in the country. USC deserves that and our 640 student-athletes deserve that."

Dickey said that USC will not comment about specific elements of its position while it is in the appeals process.

"Elite athletes in high profile sports with obvious great future earnings potential may see themselves as something apart from other student-athletes and the general student population," the NCAA report said. "Institutions need to assure that their treatment on campus does not feed into such a perception."

USC already admitted wrongdoing with the basketball program and sanctioned itself, including a ban on postseason participation, a reduction of scholarships and vacating all of its wins from 2007-08.

USC chose to contest the allegation against the football program.

The school was fined $5,000 and forfeits its $206,200 it earned from the 2008 men's basketball tournament.

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: USC Hit Hard With NCAA Sanctions

Yea... Sad day in my house today...

The sanctions were pretty much what I expected. I wasn't sure about the "tv ban" that was talked about, because that would just penalize the teams they were playing... The 2-year post season ban is gonna suck for me as a fan, but the scholarships is gonna really hurt for the recruiting possibilities. Actually, the 2-year post season ban will also hurt some in the recruiting department as well... As much as I hate Lane Kiffin, he definitely will be working "up hill" for a while... But hey, I'm not gonna try to rationalize anything. They broke the rules, they should be punished... It's still tough to swallow as a fan, though...

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 691

I feel for the kids that are there now,that had nothing to do with all of this.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I feel for the kids that are there now,that had nothing to do with all of this.
    Agreed... Look at the "heir apparent prodigy qb", Matt Barkley, who cannot play in a bowl game till his senior season because of all of this... That's garbage! ... But that's the way it goes, I guess.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It took the NCAA 4 years, but....

nelson, ha ha Pictures, Images and Photos

Its too bad Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush can't be held more accountable. It's amazing how these sleeze bag coaches jump ship, just before it sinks! Makes me wonder what's going on in East Lansing with Tom Izzo. I figured that guy would never leave.... but now... who knows?

Now maybe the NCAA can focus some attention to Ohio State and what really went on when Maurice Clarett was there.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    Now maybe the NCAA can focus some attention to Ohio State and what really went on when Maurice Clarett was there.
    Never happen... That cluster **** is long-since in the "dust" as far as they are concerned, unfortunately....

It took the NCAA 4 years, but....

nelson, ha ha Pictures, Images and Photos

Its too bad Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush can't be held more accountable. It's amazing how these sleeze bag coaches jump ship, just before it sinks! Makes me wonder what's going on in East Lansing with Tom Izzo. I figured that guy would never leave.... but now... who knows?
    Man, I don't fault Bush for what happened... I also don't fault Carroll (too much)... Alot of this stuff came from the boosters and alumni that tried to skirt the rules/system... Bush was just a young kid, and went with the flow and probably/possibly really didn't know the ramifications. At least that's the way I want to envision it... As for Carroll, he can't keep tabs on all that is happening. Some of you all say it can be done, but I still say "no way, no how, can a coach keep tabs on everything that is happening throughout the program". ... Yea, he left... But he left for alot of money that still kept him on the west coast, which is what he wanted when he turned-down other positions in previous years....

Hell, who knows.... I just know that I'm not too very happy today because of all of this....

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Man, I don't fault Bush for what happened... I also don't fault Carroll (too much)... Alot of this stuff came from the boosters and alumni that tried to skirt the rules/system... Bush was just a young kid, and went with the flow and probably/possibly really didn't know the ramifications. At least that's the way I want to envision it... As for Carroll, he can't keep tabs on all that is happening. Some of you all say it can be done, but I still say "no way, no how, can a coach keep tabs on everything that is happening throughout the program". ... Yea, he left... But he left for alot of money that still kept him on the west coast, which is what he wanted when he turned-down other positions in previous years....

Hell, who knows.... I just know that I'm not too very happy today because of all of this....
    Carroll couldn't keep tabs on his #1 star and Heisman Trophy canidate running back? Let players 60-100 slip through the cracks, but you gotta know what's going on with your starters! My guess is that Carroll knew what was going on and let it go, because if he didn't Bush wouldn't have gone to USC.

I heard that Bush's parents were soliciting sports marketing agents, who were giving them kickbacks for a shot at representing Reggie. I gotta believe that they knew it was wrong. Everyone else did. They were just out to get theirs ....and get it now.

.... "I have a great love for the University of Southern California!" (cause I got mine, so **** ya'all!)

Greed!

But they'll be back!

My guess is that Carroll knew what was going on and let it go, because if he didn't Bush wouldn't have gone to USC.
    But he was ALREADY at USC when alot of this **** happened, so that doesn't come into play I think...

... But you're right... They'll be back....

Threads : 21

They should focus on that Bum coaching the highest paid College basketball team in kY. How many more Banners and final fours will they have to take away from schools until they stop hiring him.

Has a Duke fan, I am glad that we can show teams that you kids can go to school and still win basketball games.

Threads : 21

USC will be fine, Alabama was hit hard and Saban cleaned them up, it took Miami 6 years but they got back on the horse. It is still recruiting kids to lpay in California and having hot Coed`s on the beach in there Bekeny is never a bad then.

Mark Bradley I doubt he stays till his senior year, he is a sure fire 1st round pick. I think they will lose alot of recruits they were targeting Next year cause they have no title shot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information