Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Nationals?

Threads : 413

Default The Nationals?

And we get swept by the team that drafted IN FRONT OF US. ****ed glad it wasn't the Crapitals.

Threads : 197

Default Re: The Nationals?

The draft order only reflects how terrible they were last year, particularly in the first half. They pretty clearly have a better offense than the Pirates (Zimmerman, Dunn, and Willingham are all legit threats), their pitching has been a little better, better defense almost everywhere that Adam Dunn isn't playing, etc. As unbelievable as it may sound, the Pirates probably have better base runners, but that's about it. I'm not afraid to say the Nats are pretty clearly a better team. When you're out-talented just about every game it shouldn't be surprising if you get swept in any given series.

Threads : 5

Trust me we will have the last laugh!!! They think they are making the playoffs down here. I live here they are better but they are 6 games out and will be under 500 and double digits out by the end of the year. Alot of there players are older strausburgh is good and we will have to wait and see what happens but he playes 1 day out of 5. Our system is better and we are going to lose but we are losing with young guys that will pay off by next year. Bring pedro up and it will get better by August into Sept. you will see positives and this draft was a great one by the front office!

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by smittypipik View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Trust me we will have the last laugh!!! They think they are making the playoffs down here. I live here they are better but they are 6 games out and will be under 500 and double digits out by the end of the year. Alot of there players are older strausburgh is good and we will have to wait and see what happens but he playes 1 day out of 5. Our system is better and we are going to lose but we are losing with young guys that will pay off by next year. Bring pedro up and it will get better by August into Sept. you will see positives and this draft was a great one by the front office!
    Man, I hope so. It's getting painful to watch this wretchedness night after night. They are truly awful right now.
    "Work fast, throw strikes, change speeds"--Ray Miller

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't sweat it. Every loss gets us that much closer to the first pick in next year's draft.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Daskid View Post
    Don't sweat it. Every loss gets us that much closer to the first pick in next year's draft.
    EXACTLY!
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 12

Quote Originally Posted by Daskid View Post
    That may be so, but the Orioles are playing a lot worse. The 'best case scenario' is 2nd pick.

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

ain't that the way it goes...we're so bad we can't even be the best at losing.

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by just_ridin View Post
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

The Orioles are a weird team. They actually have a pretty talented group of hitters, just about every one of them has underperformed. On pure talent Adam Jones isn't far from Andrew McCutchen, but he has a .280 OBP. Matt Wieters hasn't been anything close to what people expected. Garrett Atkins has fallen off a cliff offensively the last two years. Nolan Reimold had a great rookie season, but a terrible sophomore slump now. Nick Markakis is hitting well, but the power numbers haven't been there. Brian Roberts has been hurt all year. Two older veterans (Luke Scott and Ty Wigginton) are the only guys really hitting well. I actually thought their offense had the potential to do something like what the Blue Jays have done this year.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by just_ridin View Post
    Ahhhh, trivia question. What professional franchise has the record for consecutive losing seasons.

That's riiiiiiiight. We're No. 1. We're No. 1.

Threads : 24

Don't know the full story of the Nats' drafts but it looks like they've got some good, young players. They have a different strategy than the Pirates. They decided that they could do two things at once: field a decent major league team while rebuilding. They signed some actual major league talent to bolster their major league effort; the Buccos, on the other hand, believe only in filling out their ML roster with other teams' minor league "projects." Before I get attacked for complaining, I think the first half of that strategy--acquiring good players in the draft--is obviously good. But I find it insulting to fans to stock the ML roster with a **** load of AAAA players.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    The Orioles are a weird team. They actually have a pretty talented group of hitters, just about every one of them has underperformed. On pure talent Adam Jones isn't far from Andrew McCutchen, but he has a .280 OBP. Matt Wieters hasn't been anything close to what people expected. Garrett Atkins has fallen off a cliff offensively the last two years. Nolan Reimold had a great rookie season, but a terrible sophomore slump now. Nick Markakis is hitting well, but the power numbers haven't been there. Brian Roberts has been hurt all year. Two older veterans (Luke Scott and Ty Wigginton) are the only guys really hitting well. I actually thought their offense had the potential to do something like what the Blue Jays have done this year.
    I wonder if they'd take a P next year over Rendon?...That'd be lucky...get the #2 pick and still get Rendon?! YEAH!
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    Don't know the full story of the Nats' drafts but it looks like they've got some good, young players. They have a different strategy than the Pirates. They decided that they could do two things at once: field a decent major league team while rebuilding. They signed some actual major league talent to bolster their major league effort; the Buccos, on the other hand, believe only in filling out their ML roster with other teams' minor league "projects." Before I get attacked for complaining, I think the first half of that strategy--acquiring good players in the draft--is obviously good. But I find it insulting to fans to stock the ML roster with a **** load of AAAA players.
    It's kind of strange actually, the moves that have worked out for them have been the lower priced moves, the kind that the Pirates have made in the past. They just seem to have signed the right ones this year. When they've actually gone out and spent money it's been kind of terrible.

The success of the Adam Dunn contract is kind of debatable. He's making $12 million a year. All the defensive stats hate him so much that they had him at 1.2 WAR last year despite 38 HRs and a .398 OBP. Make of that what you will, but other teams weren't interested at anything close to that price. There was such little interest in him at the trade deadline when the Reds wanted to move him that hey settled for Micah Owings as the best piece in the deal. I actually like him a lot, but he'd be a much better player at DH.

Their only other big money signings were disasters. Jason Marquis (2 years $15 million) turned out about as bad as it possibly could (19 ER in 8 innings, then he had elbow surgery). He actually wasn't that good a player to begin with. Probably about the same as any given Pirates starter over his career. Cristian Guzman ($8 million this year) isn't a very useful player. He'll hit fora decent average, but that's about it. No power, poor defender, and he draws about 15 walks a year. He actually lost his starting job to Ian Desmond, but managed to win the 2B job after Adam Kennedy was terrible. Both moves are just throwing away money really.

The rest of the FAs they signed were kind of dumpster-dive type moves. Pudge Rodridguez made $1.5 million last season and had the worst year of his career. They decided to sign him to a 2 year $6 million deal, and seem to have made the right call. Not really a big signing, though. Their only other offseason signing was Matt Capps ($3.5 million) who was also coming off a disaster of a season. Adam Kennedy was a really low money signing ($1.5 million or so) and he hasn't done much this year. Livan Hernandez has bounced around and been terrible for a few years, and signed for less than a 1 million. He seems to have lucked into a very good start. It's not like they were out signing top tier players. These are all pretty much comparable signings to something like Octavio Dotel/Brendan Donnelly/DJ Carrasco/Ryan Church/Bobby Crosby.

Sure they've gone out and spent on a few FAs, but when they've spent big money they've done so foolishly. It's the guys in their club control years that have really helped the team.

Threads : 0

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    It's kind of strange actually, the moves that have worked out for them have been the lower priced moves, the kind that the Pirates have made in the past. They just seem to have signed the right ones this year. When they've actually gone out and spent money it's been kind of terrible.

The success of the Adam Dunn contract is kind of debatable. He's making $12 million a year. All the defensive stats hate him so much that they had him at 1.2 WAR last year despite 38 HRs and a .398 OBP. Make of that what you will, but other teams weren't interested at anything close to that price. There was such little interest in him at the trade deadline when the Reds wanted to move him that hey settled for Micah Owings as the best piece in the deal. I actually like him a lot, but he'd be a much better player at DH.

Their only other big money signings were disasters. Jason Marquis (2 years $15 million) turned out about as bad as it possibly could (19 ER in 8 innings, then he had elbow surgery). He actually wasn't that good a player to begin with. Probably about the same as any given Pirates starter over his career. Cristian Guzman ($8 million this year) isn't a very useful player. He'll hit fora decent average, but that's about it. No power, poor defender, and he draws about 15 walks a year. He actually lost his starting job to Ian Desmond, but managed to win the 2B job after Adam Kennedy was terrible. Both moves are just throwing away money really.

The rest of the FAs they signed were kind of dumpster-dive type moves. Pudge Rodridguez made $1.5 million last season and had the worst year of his career. They decided to sign him to a 2 year $6 million deal, and seem to have made the right call. Not really a big signing, though. Their only other offseason signing was Matt Capps ($3.5 million) who was also coming off a disaster of a season. Adam Kennedy was a really low money signing ($1.5 million or so) and he hasn't done much this year. Livan Hernandez has bounced around and been terrible for a few years, and signed for less than a 1 million. He seems to have lucked into a very good start. It's not like they were out signing top tier players. These are all pretty much comparable signings to something like Octavio Dotel/Brendan Donnelly/DJ Carrasco/Ryan Church/Bobby Crosby.

Sure they've gone out and spent on a few FAs, but when they've spent big money they've done so foolishly. It's the guys in their club control years that have really helped the team.
    I too live in the Nats' area, Maryland suburbs of DC. I admit that I don't follow the Nats closely, but am familiar with their team to some degree. Since I don't follow them closely I don't know if they have admitted this, but it is my belief that the Nats signed Pudge Rodriquez to work with Steven Strasburg for two years before turning over the catching duties to the heir apparent, still working his way through the minors. I think his name is Norris ... or something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information