Thread: Fitch vs. Alves set for UFC 107

sjdrewk

Default Fitch vs. Alves set for UFC 107

..........and here we go, the UFC is setting things up so that one of these two will get the next crack at GSP after GSP spanks Swick. That is if GSP is staying where he is at right now. imo This almost confirms that GSP will defend his title two more times before he does anything else. Which is cool. I think that after Alves ran 7 straight wins versus top opponents that IF he should beat Fitch, he deserves another spanking from GSP. So winner of Fitch v. Alves gets a spanking from GSP. lol

Fitch vs. Alves set for UFC 107
    By Ken Pishna/ MMAWeekly.com
    8 hours, 53 minutes ago
    Buzz up! 5
    Print
    Less than 24 hours after Jon Fitch revealed via various social networking avenues that his UFC 106 fight with Ricardo Almeida is off and that a “huge opponent” would step in to fill the opening, UFC president Dana White confirmed it.

Following Thursday’s UFC 104 pre-fight press conference, White told MMAWeekly.com that Thiago Alves would be pulled form his UFC 107 bout with Paulo Thiago to step in for the injured Almeida. The bout will, however, take place on the UFC 107 fight card in Memphis, Tenn.

The change infers a much greater impact on the UFC welterweight division than the previously scheduled bouts. Fitch is currently the number two ranked welterweight fighter in the world, while Alves sits at number four. Thiago and Almeida are unranked in the division.

Failing to capture the title from welterweight kingpin Georges St. Pierre at UFC 87, Fitch (19-3) has since won back-to-back bouts against Akihiro Gono and Paulo Thiago.

Alves (16-6), in his most recent action, was also unsuccessful in wresting the title from St. Pierre. Prior to that, he had racked up seven-straight victories including wins over Fitch teammate Josh Koscheck and UFC legend Matt Hughes.

A UFC lightweight title bout between current champion B.J. Penn and challenger Diego Sanchez heads UFC 107 on Dec. 12. Fitch vs. Alves will don the main card.

(Additional reporting by Steven Marrocco/MMAWeekly.com).

For all the latest MMA news, go to MMAWeekly.com

Threads : 67
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Fitch vs. Alves set for UFC 107

A report has surfaced that welterweight Thiago Alves has suffered a torn a knee ligament during training and will not be able to fight Jon Fitch at UFC 107. Coincidentally, Alves was a fill-in after Fitch’s original opponent, Ricardo Almedia, who also injured his knee.

AOL’s FanHouse was the first to break the story early Friday morning. According to the report, Alves tore his PCL (posterior cruciate ligament) and it is unknown as to how long he’ll be out of action for.

Prior to Almeida’s injury, Alves was set to take on Paulo Thiago on this same December 12th card. No word on whether the UFC intends to find Fitch another replacement, or they can reschedule this highly anticipated rematch after Alves his fully recouped.
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ok,so who's next in line???

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok,so who's next in line???
    I have no clue. I say just go ahead and give Fitch another title shot.
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

Here's your answer

With Thiago Alves injured, Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce set for UFC 107 in December
    by John Morgan on Oct 31, 2009 at 6:40 pm ET
    The UFC's busy week of fight shuffling is nearing an end, and two competitors that were recently left without an opponent have been matched up with each other.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that welterweights Jon Fitch (19-3 MMA, 10-1 UFC) and Mike Pierce (10-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) have verbally agreed to meet at "UFC 107: Penn vs. Sanchez," and bout agreements are expected to be signed shortly.

Featuring a lightweight title fight between current champ B.J. Penn and challenger Diego Sanchez, UFC 107 is scheduled for Dec. 12 in Memphis, Tenn. The main card airs live on pay per view.

Fitch was originally expected to face Ricardo Almeida (11-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) at UFC 106 in November. When Almeida was forced to withdraw due to injury, Fitch was bumped to the UFC 107 card in favor of a match with fellow top contender Thiago Alves.

Unfortunately, that bout was also quickly scrapped when Alves was also forced to withdraw after an injury.

Meanwhile, Pierce was set to face Fitch's American Kickboxing Academy teammate, Josh Koscheck, at the as-yet-unannounced UFC Fight Night 20 event in January. Koscheck was then pulled from the bout in order to fill a co-feature slot against Anthony Johnson at UFC 106.

Pierce wastes no time in meeting a top-level opponent in just his second UFC contest. In his first trip to the octagon, Pierce upset Brock Larson at UFC Fight Night 19 in September. The win was Pierce's sixth-straight victory.

With the addition to the event, UFC 107 now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez (for lightweight title)
    * Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir
    * Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce*
    * Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida
    * Paul Buentello vs. Todd Duffee

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia
    * Shane Nelson vs. Matt Wiman
    * Ricardo Funch vs. Johny Hendricks
    * Lucio Linhares vs. Rousimar Palhares
    * Edgar Garcia vs. DaMarques Johnson
    * Kevin Burns vs. T.J. Grant

* - Not officially announced

sjdrewk

Alves' injury is another man's opportunity. Pierce can make the most of it with an upset over Fitch.

I'm really liking the looks of that card except for maybe the Buentello/Duffee fight.Honestly,I don't even know who those two guys are.Anyway,the top 4 fights on the card should be very good fights.

I hope Kongo destroys Mir. I'll also be pulling for Guida although I think its a long shot for him. But that kid has more heart than anyone in the UFC. So much energy and such a positive outlook. The way he bounced around like he was ready for more after fighting Diego Sanchez like he was ready for more. He's crazy and I like it.

I'm having a hard time with the main event.I'm a fan of both Penn and Sanchez.I know that BJ should dismantlehim,but a part of me wants Diego to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm having a hard time with the main event.I'm a fan of both Penn and Sanchez.I know that BJ should dismantlehim,but a part of me wants Diego to win.
    I want Penn to win but in front of my fiance I will be cheering for Sanchez just to **** him off Just like he does every time Anderson or GSP fights. We make some kind of stupid bet when one of our favorite fighters are fighting. Yes, we are immature like that

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information