Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man this is just embarrassing!

Threads : 413

Default Man this is just embarrassing!

5 ****ING ERRORS!! I mean the high school team here plays better fundamental baseball. Maybe we should let the high school kids we drafted play right away before they learn how NOT to play the game.

And for what it's worth, the PG says 6 errors.
    Last edited by exNCite; Jun-16-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: I trusted ESPN, so shoot me before I just :vomit:

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Man this is just embarrassing!

It was, indeed, 6 errors.

Little League ****.
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Threads : 122

Pretty embarassing. Pitching is still the reason this team won't do **** for years to come but the total lack of fundamental baseball is troublesome. From the lack of baserunning fundamentals to their inability to perform the fundamental needs of small ball like stealing bases and the ability to bunt to the fielding miscues, they need to go back and take classes in Baseball 101.

Threads : 215

Pedro looked to lack some range on the bullets that were hit buy him. He barely moved as they whizzed by.

How many errors at 3b now? 10 by LaRoche, 1 by Pedro, #? by others.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

**** this pervasive points to coaching. How about Russell and company joining Aki at the bus station.
    "Work fast, throw strikes, change speeds"--Ray Miller

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty embarassing. Pitching is still the reason this team won't do **** for years to come but the total lack of fundamental baseball is troublesome. From the lack of baserunning fundamentals to their inability to perform the fundamental needs of small ball like stealing bases and the ability to bunt to the fielding miscues, they need to go back and take classes in Baseball 101.
    And the saddest part is those are the areas where the playing field could potentially be even with other teams.

I can accept the fact that the Pirates lack talent. They don't have a lineup that can bash the ball out of the park. They don't have a rotation that can dominate a series. I get that. But given those deficiencies, they simply can not afford to fail to compete in other areas as well.

The complete lack of focus and execution in basic fundamentals is inexcusable.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Daskid View Post
    And the saddest part is those are the areas where the playing field could potentially be even with other teams.

I can accept the fact that the Pirates lack talent. They don't have a lineup that can bash the ball out of the park. They don't have a rotation that can dominate a series. I get that. But given those deficiencies, they simply can not afford to fail to compete in other areas as well.

And its the whole team too...pitchers, outfielders, infielders....the catcher...........everyone. That's a coaching problem.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    And its the whole team too...pitchers, outfielders, infielders....the catcher...........everyone. That's a coaching problem.
    Couldn't agree more Benny.

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    We really need a coach, in my mind, who instills not only passion...but PRIDE in one's work into these guys...and with the young guys coming up this is a prime time to make that change.

The players aren't playing with any pride or passion...if they had pride in their work they wouldn't make as many stupid mistakes...or as often.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I quite paying attention to this lame-o team about 5 years ago.

Every year it's the same old same old - the expectations are high because a new influx of "talent" is coming up.. and it never pans out.

This team could have been good, if they let the players they had like Jason Bay stay around.. but they traded away them all, and killed the cohesion.

The management is beyond pathetic, and the owners just need to take this crap down to the AAA league. I don't even consider the pirates major league baseball anymore. This is a 6 team league, and the pirates aren't in that league.

Threads : 6

I agree. It's embarrassing and frustrating to watch this team play sometimes in all facets of the game including managerial. BUT ON THE BRIGHT SIDE and there is a bright side, they are learning together and growing together. I'm more excited now for the Pittsburgh Pirates than I have been in a long time. It seems to me that this team and this organization is turning itself around in front of our very eyes and it's exciting and frustrating to watch. Here was a pretty reasonable post that I read from another site earlier (if nothing else it's kinda funny although I sorta agree with the premise even if it was a bit conservative in its projections):

I like to think of this team as like building a house.

We have finally poured the foundation and placed the blockwork (Cutch-22, Alvarez, Tabata, Walker, Lincoln, Meek). We recycled some materials (Jones, Hanrahan) and had to send some back to the vendor (Milledge, Laroche, Clement, Morton).Gotta admit I haven't given up mainly on Clement or Morton

Some of our materials were damaged and will late arriving, if at all due to potentially being out of stock (d'Arnaud, Marte, Sanchez). Still very excited about all 3 of these players.

Some of the materials are on back order and will be a while getting here (ZVR, Cain, Cunningham). A while to go, but very optimistic about the potential.

Hopefully our budget doesn't have a cost overrun because there are a lot of nice exterior finishes we can pick up (Taillon, Allie). All I can say is GET 'ER DONE, NEIL!!

So since some of our materials will be late getting here, it's time to go to Home Depot and buy some (FA's) until the rest get here. We can always blend them in or have a swap meet if we have too much.

written by Dale Berras Stash on OnlyBucs.net

Another thing to keep i mind, even though this team is starting to look like a real life major league organization from top to bottom it can't stop here. Next year, this organization has to pony up and jump all over either Anthony Rendon or Matt Purke (I'd be giddy with either one) and continue drafting aggressively. The Pirates do that and this organization will be in for a real exciting next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by dcm8299 View Post
    I agree. It's embarrassing and frustrating to watch this team play sometimes in all facets of the game including managerial. BUT ON THE BRIGHT SIDE and there is a bright side, t[HIGH-LIGHT]hey are learning together and growing together.[/HIGH-LIGHT] I'm more excited now for the Pittsburgh Pirates than I have been in a long time. It seems to me that this team and this organization is turning itself around in front of our very eyes and it's exciting and frustrating to watch. Here was a pretty reasonable post that I read from another site earlier (if nothing else it's kinda funny although I sorta agree with the premise even if it was a bit conservative in its projections):

I like to think of this team as like building a house.

We have finally poured the foundation and placed the blockwork (Cutch-22, Alvarez, Tabata, Walker, Lincoln, Meek). We recycled some materials (Jones, Hanrahan) and had to send some back to the vendor (Milledge, Laroche, Clement, Morton).Gotta admit I haven't given up mainly on Clement or Morton

Some of our materials were damaged and will late arriving, if at all due to potentially being out of stock (d'Arnaud, Marte, Sanchez). Still very excited about all 3 of these players.

Some of the materials are on back order and will be a while getting here (ZVR, Cain, Cunningham). A while to go, but very optimistic about the potential.

Hopefully our budget doesn't have a cost overrun because there are a lot of nice exterior finishes we can pick up (Taillon, Allie). All I can say is GET 'ER DONE, NEIL!!

So since some of our materials will be late getting here, it's time to go to Home Depot and buy some (FA's) until the rest get here. We can always blend them in or have a swap meet if we have too much.

written by Dale Berras Stash on OnlyBucs.net

Another thing to keep i mind, even though this team is starting to look like a real life major league organization from top to bottom it can't stop here. [HIGH-LIGHT]Next year, this organization has to pony up and jump all over either Anthony Rendon or Matt Purke (I'd be giddy with either one) and continue drafting aggressively. The Pirates do that and this organization will be in for a real exciting next few years.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    I want to address a couple things in your post:

1) Learning and growing together...yes, I think you could say that especially as the year progresses more you could say the core is learning more and more from each other. However, the man LEADING that experience has NONE of my faith and I personally would not and do not want to entrust that learning and growing into his hands....not in ANY way.

2) I am not completely sure about some of the people you endorse as the future...I am not sure that Walker is the man we want as the future at 2B...I am not sure where Lincoln fits exactly...somewhere at the backend of our rotation, but we need MUCH more in the pitching department than Lincoln if we're ever going to have a chance.

3) Clement and Morton....Morton if he can get his head right and get his stuff in alignment he can be pretty decent probably. However, Clement's future looks mirkier to me...and that's saying alot because I am not confident that Morton even has a great future with us (that will be found out later though). Clement needs to hit...if he could have hit things would have gone MUCH better for him...the fact is though that he couldn't hit while he was up here and he'll need to figure that out if he's going to have any chance and even then he'd likely have to be able to out-hit Garrett Jones.

4) The last thing I wanted to address was the Anthony Rendon and Matt Purke comment. If the Pirates get the shot at Rendon then by all means I think they WILL and SHOULD draft and sign him. After him, though, I do not think the pecking order falls directly on Matt Purke. I like his makeup and his stuff...and he had good results as a freshman...gotta love his 133K in his 103 innings. However, I also really like the stuff and makeup of Taylor Jungmann...the issue with Jungmann is that I am afraid he'll have pitched too many innings by the time he's drafted...he'll have pitched over 130 this season (most likley) after pitching 94.2 last season and he'll likely pitch 120+ next season so that is worrisome. However, his results are awesome...his ERA, BAA, and K9 are all good. So while I agree that Rendon is the guy the Pirates really would be LUCKY and HAPPY to have a chance to draft...there are others besides Purke they could draft if Rendon is unavailable to them.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 94

Hopefully ZVR will debut tomorrow for SC.

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    Pedro looked to lack some range on the bullets that were hit buy him. He barely moved as they whizzed by.

How many errors at 3b now? 10 by LaRoche, 1 by Pedro, #? by others.
    I'd ignore error totals at third. So many of them come from making a good play. There were a few that LaRoche just kicked, but I'd say at least 5 or 6 of his errors came on long throws across the field. There are at least three that I can remember (one by Doumit and two by Jones) where the 1B just didn't catch a perfectly catchable ball on a very above average play. Adrian Beltre is about as good a 3B defender as their is in the league and he has 11 already. Evan Longoria has 9.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Daskid View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    Pretty much it.

Fundamentals and the little things are what this team should be excelling at. While it lacks talent or experience, playing "small ball" as was mentioned in the offseason is something that would help prevent the Pirates from going into these long nose dive losing streaks that kill their seasons. Instead you get a lack of talent + inexperience and awful fundamentals and small ball play and you have a team near 20 games under before July.

I had to rewind the DVR last night cause I couldn't imagine we had that many errors that quickly
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information