Thread: Still searching for Pittsburgh's defense

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Still searching for Pittsburgh's defense

Still searching for Pittsburgh's defense
    10/12/2009 3:30 AM

DETROIT - Make no mistake about it, the Steelers' defense isn't the dominating unit it was last year. The yards, particularly in the fourth quarter, are coming just a little bit easier for the opponents this season.
    But another sign of a good unit is being able to make a play when needed.

The Steelers had struggled with that in their two losses, failing to hold fourth-quarter leads against both Chicago and Cincinnati.

Against Detroit Sunday, it looked as if that might happen again when the Lions cut Pittsburgh's lead to 28-20 with 4:57 remaining.

After forcing the Steelers to punt, the Lions got the football back at their own 29-yard line and proceeded to move to the Pittsburgh 21 with 1:54 left.

But Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau decided he had seen enough and he wasn't going down without a fight. He called for cornerback blitzes from William Gay on back-to-back plays, resulting in a pair of sacks of Lions quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Then, on third down, inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons came hard on a blitz and sacked Culpepper again, pushing the Lions all the way back to the Pittsburgh 45.

There would be no fourth-quarter comeback in this one.

"You've got to give Coach LeBeau credit. He dissected that offense and called just the right blitz," said Gay, who got the sack on the second blitz and shared one with linebacker LaMarr Woodley on the first.

The three consecutive sacks helped mask what was an otherwise lackluster performance by the Steelers' defense against a team that lost wide receiver Calvin Johnson - the Lions' best playmaker - in the first half to a knee injury.

Without Johnson, the Lions should have been no match for the Steelers.

Yet there they were, late in the game, hanging in with the defending Super Bowl champions.

Part of the reason for that was yet another interception returned for a touchdown against the Steelers. Those things happen from time to time, though it has occurred in back-to-back weeks for Ben Roethlisberger.

But it still doesn't explain allowing 335 yards to the Lions, a team that failed to win a game last year and one with only a single victory this season. And 205 of those yards came in the second half, when the Lions also converted eight of 11 third downs

The Steelers should have been putting this game away, not allowing the Lions to control the clock and hang around.

Instead, the Steelers found themselves again living on the edge, needing to make a defensive stand late in the game to close out a win.

It worked out for the Steelers this time. But it was far from what we've become accustomed to seeing from this defense.

"We're still searching for the Steelers," admitted linebacker James Farrior. "We still think we left some plays out there."

Maybe getting safety Troy Polamalu back Sunday against Cleveland will be all this defense needs.

Yes, the defense only allowed 13 points Sunday, but the 55 points the Steelers have allowed in the fourth quarter through five games is alarming. They gave up only 75 points in the final quarter all of last year.

The Steelers were able to hold on for the victory against Detroit. But they can't continue to play this way if they want to repeat as Super Bowl champions.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...s-Lions-column
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wouldn't it be a jaw-dropper if, once Troy returns our D starts putting up #1 stats again?

Threads : 60

They would be saying the same thing if Ed Reed was out in Baltimore. It's amazing how these two guys change the whole defense.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Troy (or Reed) are huge parts of their respective defenses, but I can't see all this being solely from him being out.... If it is, then he better renegotiate right away for Ben's salary.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Troy (or Reed) are huge parts of their respective defenses, but I can't see all this being solely from him being out.... If it is, then he better renegotiate right away for Ben's salary.
    I think it changes LeBeau's play calling. He seems less aggressive with Troy out.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think a big thing with Troy out that I mentioned in another thread is that the middle of the field in our pass defense seems badly exposed without Troy in there. I don't know if it is a respect factor with Troy in there or what, but every team we've played this year with Troy has been killing us over the middle in the pass game. It was similar to what Brady and Welker did against us in 07 with Troy out. Pass after pass after pass the middle of the field was exposed.

I'm not sure exactly why this is. Troy definitely has speed to cover but I also believe that Troy is given the ability to read offenses and change what he's supposed to do based on what he sees. Whatever announcers we had this week or last week were showing Harrison's SB interception and they showed how he recognized the same play set up that resulted in a TD from a different game. This time he dropped back and made that pick. I don't think guys like Tyrone Carter are afforded that right because they really aren't that good, especially at picking up offensive plays and formations.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information