Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D Pairings With Gonchar Out

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default D Pairings With Gonchar Out

I was really surprised by this in a way but the new pairings have Letang and Eaton staying put, Skoula moving in onto the 3rd pairing qwith McKee (naturally) but Goligoski going up with Orpik. Question now is which pairing is going to be considered the #1 pairing (facing other teams best players etc...). It makes sense to keep Letang and Eaton together, I was just surprised that the puck moving D-men weren't all just shifted up 1 pairing

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

Threads : 138

Default Re: D Pairings With Gonchar Out

It will be interesting to see who gets the majority of ice time vs the other team's top line. I suspect it may be Letang/Eaton rather then Goligoski/Orpik. Letang/Eaton may quitely become the team's top pairing in Gonch's absence.

I really expected Letang to be paired with Orpik so this is a bit of a surprise.

I wouldn't be surprised if Letang/Eaton log the most ice time for a D pairing either. Makes the most sense. They're the only line still together... it's not the most experienced but it's balanced and Eaton has played top line minutes before when he was paired with Gonch after he first came here. Letang logged them when Gonch was out last year

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it makes sense because you keep some continuity to the line up. Even if it is just one line. Gogo get the shot at QB?

Threads : 6

I thought the defensive pairings worked out alright tonight. However, it's clear that Goligoski isn't ready for primetime on the PP, just like Letang wasn't last year.

Let's face it, there aren't many players in the league who can replace Gonchar on the PP.

yeah, the breakout on the PP is going to be choppy without Sarge like it was last year. Throw in that Yeo is still the coach and they have that abosticle as well...still.

Skoula looked alright. I noticed that him and McKee were caught chasing in their zone a few more times than you would like but this was a tough game to reallt determine play cause the entire team played flat for 2 periods and then they all looked good after that (minus Brent johnson who looked great all game long)

Quote Originally Posted by ihateusernames View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought the defensive pairings worked out alright tonight. However, it's clear that Goligoski isn't ready for primetime on the PP, just like Letang wasn't last year.

Let's face it, there aren't many players in the league who can replace Gonchar on the PP.
    I didn't get to see the entire game but he looked decent when I was looking. Actually Malkin was taking over Gonch's spot like I thought he would. It is tough to replace Gonchar but our PP isn't that great with him either. Maybe having a forward on the point changes the dynamics for the good, who knows?

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    yeah, the breakout on the PP is going to be choppy without Sarge like it was last year. Throw in that Yeo is still the coach and they have that abosticle as well...still.

Skoula looked alright. I noticed that him and McKee were caught chasing in their zone a few more times than you would like but this was a tough game to reallt determine play cause the entire team played flat for 2 periods and then they all looked good after that (minus Brent johnson who looked great all game long)
    Gonchar is going to be hard to replace...but the good thing is that its for a smaller amount of time than last year--thank god...and that the young guys can learn and gain experience. Also, it might help Gonch that he gets some rest b/c when he returned last year he looked REALLY good...and looked really good this season so far too.

Goligoski does need some seasoning...I think I'd rather see Letang bring it up and Goligoski be the 2nd of the point-men instead of the QB...but neither can/will replace what Gonchar brings to the PP...its good, though, that they gain the experience.

I thought Skoula looked pretty darn good...he was actually better than I expected for a 7th Dman who couldn't catch on with other teams who don't have the D-depth that we do. I was pleasantly surprised. I will say, though, that I really did like the McKee+Goligoski pairing and I hate that it has to be split up.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I didn't get to see the entire game but he looked decent when I was looking. Actually Malkin was taking over Gonch's spot like I thought he would. It is tough to replace Gonchar but our PP isn't that great with him either. Maybe having a forward on the point changes the dynamics for the good, who knows?
    It was predominately Goligoski bringing up the puck up on the PP. That's the biggest deficiency I see, but once they're in the zone, it's alright. IMO, it's gaining the zone where Gonchar's absence is most noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I think that our PP isn't very good simply b/c we dont shoot the puck enough on it. If we'd shoot the puck more on the PP I think we'd score more...and Gonch has an awesome shot from the point.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by ihateusernames View Post
    It was predominately Goligoski bringing up the puck up on the PP. That's the biggest deficiency I see, but once they're in the zone, it's alright. IMO, it's gaining the zone where Gonchar's absence is most noticeable.
    It's funny. Guys like Goligoski and Letang were the PP QB's in WBS and they just sort of struggle doing it up here. Probably is going to go back to having sid or Geno carry it. Personally, Letang can do it, he just is too unselfish, he passes it too often or at the wrong times, usually should carry it deeper.

I'll never forget, 2 years ago when Letang was up for 10 games early in the season believe and they were saluting Paul coffey that night and Coffey came up to the booth. Coffey loved Letang. Loved how he skated and talked about how much potential he had offensively. What stuck out with what coffey said is that they showed both Letang and Gonchar skate the puck up on the PP and coffey said on both times they should've gone deeper instead of pulling up looking to pass. Coffey was a pro at taking the puck end to end and I think it was because he wasn't afraid to do it

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I think that our PP isn't very good simply b/c we dont shoot the puck enough on it. If we'd shoot the puck more on the PP I think we'd score more...and Gonch has an awesome shot from the point.
    they do pass it around too much, look for that perfect back door set up. They also dont' screen enough, collapse the net and cause traffic and their breakout can sometimes be downright ugly

It's funny. Guys like Goligoski and Letang were the PP QB's in WBS and they just sort of struggle doing it up here. Probably is going to go back to having sid or Geno carry it. Personally, Letang can do it, he just is too unselfish, he passes it too often or at the wrong times, usually should carry it deeper.

I'll never forget, 2 years ago when Letang was up for 10 games early in the season believe and they were saluting Paul coffey that night and Coffey came up to the booth. Coffey loved Letang. Loved how he skated and talked about how much potential he had offensively. What stuck out with what coffey said is that they showed both Letang and Gonchar skate the puck up on the PP and coffey said on both times they should've gone deeper instead of pulling up looking to pass. Coffey was a pro at taking the puck end to end and I think it was because he wasn't afraid to do it
    He had a real nice play tonight, came around their net and skated all the way down. That was nice. Letang got some wheels.

And Letang's speed is good enough he can get back defensively if he needs to...we saw that tonight as well...so I agree he should try to drive a little further (and the times he has good things have happened in terms of quality scoring chances).
    Hidden Content

Not being afraid to do so has a lot to do with being able to do it. Coffey was so fast and smooth, only a few players in his day could stay with him. Gonchar will never be mistaken for a fast skater; Letang is fast, but not overwhelming like Coffey was in his day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information