Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Arians Deserves Credit Too

Enjoy....

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...redit-too.html

Bires: Arians deserves credit, too

By: Mike Bires -
    Beaver County Times

Thursday October 22, 2009 11:54 PM

PITTSBURGH — It’s about time Bruce Arians gets the respect he’s due.

For years, Steelers fans and the media have heaped praise on defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau. That praise is well-deserved. LeBeau is a genius.

About the only time Arians’ name is mentioned is when there’s a complaint about his strategies. Seldom, if ever, is there public approval for the job Arians does as offensive coordinator.

But if LeBeau is to keep getting credit for masterminding the defense, then Arians deserves credit for putting together the offensive playbook.

Obviously, there has been a dramatic change in the way the Steelers operate offensively. No longer are they the smash-mouth running team they were during the Bill Cowher era.

Now, they are throwing the ball more than ever before in the 77-year history of the franchise.

They have a star quarterback who’s slinging the ball all over the field, and their pass catchers get open and make catches.

They also have an innovative offensive coordinator who’s adapting to the times in the ever-changing NFL.

“Yes, I do believe B.A. is under-appreciated in this city,” backup quarterback Charlie Batch said. “One reason for that is because our defense has played so well over the years. Fans in this town love their defense. But if you look at what the offense has done since B.A. has been calling the plays, I think you’ll agree he’s doing something right.”
    Advertisement

In the past three years, critics have ripped Arians for not running the ball enough. They’ve ripped him for de-emphasizing the role of the fullback. They’ve ripped him for inconsistent play-calling in general.

But in 2007, Willie Parker was leading the NFL in rushing before getting hurt in the 15th game. That same year, Ben Roethlisberger set franchise single-season records for most touchdown passes (32) and passer rating (104.1).

Last year, the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

This year, Roethlisberger leads the league in passing yards going into Sunday’s showdown against the Vikings while Hines Ward ranks first in receiving yards and is tied for first in receptions.

“You’re responsible for the good, the bad and the ugly,” said Arians, 57. “So I don’t get too caught up when it’s good because it can get real ugly real quick. I can be a dumb (expletive) real quick. So I just go with the ebb and flow of it. I just try to put guys in position where they can be successful.”

The Steelers are playing an exciting and productive brand of offense right now. If they keep it up, they could send as many as four offensive players to the Pro Bowl (Roethlisberger, Ward, tight end Heath Miller and maybe one of the linemen).

They also have an offensive coordinator who’s having an all-star season.

Threads : 31

Default Re: Arians Deserves Credit Too

Was that painful to post?

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Arians and the offense are progressing quicker than I thought. Whether that's because he is turning more of the decisionmaking and playcalling over to Ben or the offense is just starting to gel, either way kudos to Arians.

It will be even better when the running game hits full stride and can open up things more for Ben and the air assault.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 10

I still say he is a dumb ****.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker100 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was that painful to post?
    Sort of. I mean, I disagree with a lot of Bires' points. The offense was ****ty for 2 out of 3 of Arians' seasons. It's looked really good this year, the play calling has definitely changed, the strategy has definitely changed and the Steelers offense is now a legit dangerous weapon that can score at will and move the ball at will and do it quickly if need be. Have to give Arians some sort of credit. If it was Ben begging Arians to do this or someone else telling Arians to do this, Arians still has to do it and it's been working.

The biggest pain in posting this is that the recent slobbering over Arians' offense is predicated on 6 ****ing games this year. It's like 2 entire seasons where we were constantly running on 1st and 2nd down up the gut with no FB with a tiny scat back have all been ignored or how we ran an overall predictable offense, an offense that was called to put Ben into 3rd and long situations too often, an offense that wasn't utilizing it's play makers and strengths to its full abilities or masking it's weaker sides.. Guys liek Bires and anyone else that's crediting Arians now are purposely or conveniently ignoring everything before the 6 games this season.

It's been a good 6 games offensively... give me more to forget how horrible designed and called this offense was in 07 and 08

Threads : 413

I have no problem in giving credit where credit is due, but for the most part, the offensive successes have been IN SPITE OF Arians. The athletic ability of Ben and Ward and Holmes and Miller are what has made them successful. Not the playbook.

So while it was a nice attempt to imitate the infamous Rodney King saying, it was basically BS.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So Arians deserves credit for Ben Roethlisberger calling his own plays and leading the team to victories?

Awesome.

Yeah I think I should have quit reading after the title.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He deserves credit for realizing, however it might have come about, the need for letting Ben have the reigns to this offense. There is a pretty good story on this topic on page 64 of the SI Steelers Super Bowl Champions special issue from last season. I just read it the other day, for the third time. I am not becoming an Arians lover or anything, but in it he says that this is Ben's offense and had him get rid of all the plays he didn't like and had Ben rename the rest. Brucey does come off sounding like a decent coach.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

... Have I said lately that Arians is ****ING PATHETIC?!...... He doesn't make any adjustments, and the success is based more on the talent, as well as taking himself out of the equation with the no-huddle.... I do not like Arians, I think his ineptitude is masked by the talent on the team, and I also think he will be the eventual undoing of the success we're having at some point when we start to play teams with a decent defense this season....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

So how do you really feel about Arians

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    So how do you really feel about Arians
    Ha Ha!..... Well, let's just say he's not on my Christmas card list....

... Seriously though, I know some folks like/don't mind him, but not me... It started in the mid-season of '07 when he made comments after a loss against the Jets where he said he didn't make adjustments and it wouldn't happen again, then followed it up with losses against NE and Jax saying basically the same thing... He admitted to not handling the situation correctly and said it wouldn't happen again, but it did on the other 2 losses... Yea, I know there was more to the loss in the Wildcard game that year with Smith being out, but there were still no adjustments in the 2nd half of that game, at least from what I saw... Since then, he has been on my **** list... Sure, I can give credit where credit is due, and he's done a few good things... But how much of that "credit" goes beyond his control and playcalling and moreso to the players (i.e. no-huddle, etc...)?... IMHO, there were games last season that we won IN SPITE of him, and he got credit because the players gave outstanding effort above and beyond... I personally see alot of the same characteristics this season, but as long as we win they are overlooked... Just my opinion.

Hey, like I said, I know there are those here that don't share my opinion, and that's cool.... But I simply don't like the guy and never will... As said, our current success against inferior teams so far this season is masking the ineptitude that he presents in his schemes and playcalling... Unfortunately that will not change due to the talent we have on offense unless we start losing, and no one (including me) wants to see that happen.... But I firmly believe he is a 2nd rate coordinator at best.... Sorry, but that's my opinion of him.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

I don't disagree with you at all NKy, I think that Arians is very good at drawing up plays, but not very good at calling a game. I envision a scenerio where Brucey becomes like Tom Moore and presents Ben with a game plan and leaves it up to Ben to call the plays and execute it. I think that is the best chance for our offense to succede on a regular basis.

sjdrewk

Jmo, to me Arians is horrible. He only gets credit for getting out of Ben's way. for that, he can be proud.

Threads : 182

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Arians and the offense are progressing quicker than I thought. Whether that's because he is turning more of the decisionmaking and playcalling over to Ben or the offense is just starting to gel, either way kudos to Arians.

It will be even better when the running game hits full stride and can open up things more for Ben and the air assault.
    Until we beat a team with a good pash rush and decent cover corners I"m not too excited yet. We've played Titans, Browns, Lions, Chargers and all of their Defense againt the pass is pathetic -- bears pass rush was alittle better and the vikings will be better yet possibly best we have faced to date.
    Very important for Ben to not take sacks and be smart. I don't like Jaren Allen one bit he is a dirty player and I do fear for Bens health if Allen get to him. We need to chip and double team and run screens/ draw underneath him constantly and make him work. We also need to run reverses and fake Reverses to keep the backside DE like him from pursuing from backside of the play. I think Heath will be big in this game and I feel confident Wallace will leave another DB burning in his tracks at some point. He really opens up the offense and take away his blunder in Detoit and subsequent kick of the ball and this kid sure has been something special. Almost beter than Nate cause he holds onto the ball. Can't wait for sunday indeed.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Ha Ha!..... Well, let's just say he's not on my Christmas card list....

... .. Yea, I know there was more to the loss in the Wildcard game that year with Smith being out, but there were still no adjustments in the 2nd half of that game, at least from what I saw...
    Want me to grill you

Actually it was the 2nd half of that playoff game the offense did anything. I think it scored something like 22 of it's 29 points in the 2nd half. What decision killed us in that one (I think, sometimes i get the 2 JAX games confused) was the ****ing decision at 3rd and 6 to bottleg Ben on a bad knee left for a first down. the dumbest ****ing decision I had seen. Right before that he ahd shut down the offense and went run after run which was also mind boggling because Jax couldn't stop our passing game in the 2nd half. The only thing that stopped it was the playcalling at the end.

but yeah, the 2nd half we made a good adjustment and we also had Ben not throwing 3 int's like he did in the first half of that one ( one which was a pick 6).

But I'm with you on your overall point about Arians failing to adjust when we needed him to

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information