Thread: Cedeno in the doghouse?

Threads : 138

Default Cedeno in the doghouse?

I thought Cedeno was potentially the SS of the future and certainly for the season. Apparently, he is now in the doghouse. It may possibly due to his penchant for giving away ABs.. I dunno. I don't think that Crosby is the answer.

So... if Cedeno is in the doghouse, if management has had enough... Why not bring up Argenis Diaz and see what he can do?

Cedeno's UZR was the best in baseball. Although its a small sample size, its still indicative of strong play in the field. For me, I'd like to see 1) Cedeno 2) Diaz 3) Crosby at SS. Crosby shouldn't see more than an occasional spot start at SS IMO. This is three of the last 5 games for Crosby.

Today's lineup:

Pirates:

1. Jose Tabata, LF
    2. Neil Walker, 2B
    3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
    4. Garrett Jones, 1B
    5. Lastings Milledge, RF
    6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
    7. Ryan Doumit, C
    8. Bobby Crosby, SS
    9. Karstens, P

Threads : 94

Default Re: Cedeno in the doghouse?

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Cedeno was potentially the SS of the future and certainly for the season. Apparently, he is now in the doghouse. It may possibly due to his penchant for giving away ABs.. I dunno. I don't think that Crosby is the answer.

So... if Cedeno is in the doghouse, if management has had enough... Why not bring up Argenis Diaz and see what he can do?

Cedeno's UZR was the best in baseball. Although its a small sample size, its still indicative of strong play in the field. For me, I'd like to see 1) Cedeno 2) Diaz 3) Crosby at SS. Crosby shouldn't see more than an occasional spot start at SS IMO. This is three of the last 5 games for Crosby.

Today's lineup:

Pirates:

1. Jose Tabata, LF
    2. Neil Walker, 2B
    3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
    4. Garrett Jones, 1B
    5. Lastings Milledge, RF
    6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
    7. Ryan Doumit, C
    8. Bobby Crosby, SS
    9. Karstens, P
    Diaz isn't the answer. He just simply can't hit.

Threads : 197

I'm not really sure what they're doing right now. For some reason Crosby is playing against all the lefties and Cedeno is playing against right handed pitching. Even if he's in the dog house it doesn't make that much sense to do it that way.

Threads : 138

Today's (6/20) lineup. Woof Woof.

Pirates:

1. Jose Tabata, LF
    2. Neil Walker, 2B
    3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
    4. Garrett Jones, 1B
    5. Lastings Milledge, RF
    6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
    7. Jason Jaramillo, C
    8. Bobby Crosby, SS
    9. Brad Lincoln, P

Threads : 6

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    Today's (6/20) lineup. Woof Woof.

Pirates:

1. Jose Tabata, LF
    2. Neil Walker, 2B
    3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
    4. Garrett Jones, 1B
    5. Lastings Milledge, RF
    6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
    7. Jason Jaramillo, C
    8. Bobby Crosby, SS
    9. Brad Lincoln, P
    I am just glad they put Milledge in there against the right handed pitcher instead of Church. Normally, they put all their lefties in there.

On one other note, I think we found our line up. I believe the first six will stay the same (except with they exchange Milledge for Church), the catcher will be at seven, the short stop at eight, and the pitcher ninth.

I forgot to mention that this will be our line up until Pedro starts heating up and can take over the fourth spot.
    Last edited by pensfan86; Jun-20-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Threads : 6

Sorry for the double post.

Threads : 24

Given the make-up of the team (so many rookies and young players) I like Crosby in there. He is a lot more mature than Cedeno and is a team leader, which, I think, gives him certain intangibles that are helpful ...

Threads : 691

Pirates Notebook: Cedeno might stay on bench
    Monday, June 21, 2010
    By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Shortstop Ronny Cedeno was on the bench for a fourth time in five games, as the Pirates' coaching staff informed him he would take some time to rediscover some consistency.

Cedeno, interviewed before the game Sunday, took no issue.

"I've been inconsistent a little bit," he said. "It's part of the game. It happened to me, and I think they did it right. They're right. I agree with them. I can sit on the bench a couple days, relax, then come back to play everyday."

Cedeno can get emotional, particularly too down when things are not going well, and it affects his play. The coaching staff apparently saw too much of that during the 12-game losing streak, and that came to a head Friday when bench coach Gary Varsho pulled him out of a workout and had some heated words for him in the dugout tunnel.

Cedeno is batting .232 with four home runs and 15 RBIs, trending mostly way up or way down. The same has applied to his defense, where he has committed six errors and other lapses while also showing good range.

"It's consistency with Ronny, always," manager John Russell said. "We need for him to keep his emotions in check, to stay focused."

No one has informed Cedeno if he will resume starting Tuesday in Arlington against the Texas Rangers.

Cedeno's replacement, Bobby Crosby, is batting .236 and also has six errors. But Crosby went 3 for 3 Sunday, and he started each of the two weekend victories, so Russell might not be inclined to change back soon.

Crosby, one of the team's most vocal leaders, made clear he would welcome more starts.

"I feel like I can make the guys around me better," Crosby said. "I can always get better, too, obviously, but having a chance to play some more, I think, already has helped me at the plate."

Small interest in Iwamura
    General manager Neal Huntington said a small number of teams have expressed mild interest in second baseman Aki Iwamura, designated for assignment last week, but a trade remains far from certain.

It is extraordinarily unlikely that any team would assume more than the required $300,000 or so of Iwamura's remaining $2.93 million, so money will not be a factor. Huntington reiterated that his intent is to move Iwamura to give him a chance to hook up with another team.

If there is no trade, Iwamura would be optioned to Class AAA Indianapolis. And, if he refuses the assignment, as reliever Jack Taschner just did, he would give up the remainder of that otherwise guaranteed money.

Buried treasure
    • First baseman/outfielder Steve Pearce is "almost at full health" with Indianapolis and could return to Pittsburgh soon, Huntington said. That will prompt what Huntington predicted would be a "tough decision" in sending out a position player. He did not give a specific timetable for Pearce but added the team might wait until he is "locked in" at the plate. After Huntington spoke, Pearce went 2 for 3 with three walks, an RBI and a steal.

• Huntington conceded that backup catcher Jason Jaramillo, batting .180 after going 1 for 3 with a key single Sunday, could go to the minors. Asked if that were possible, Huntington replied, "It is. It's something I think we need to talk more about. J.J. is more about defense than offense, but he's been better. It's been like too many situations, where there's been an opportunity and somebody hasn't seized it." Erik Kratz is the top option at Indianapolis. Kratz, 30, is batting .293 with six home runs and 24 RBIs.

• There remains no timetable for starter Charlie Morton's rehabilitation stint in Indianapolis to end, Huntington said. In three starts there, Morton is 0-1 with a 4.91 ERA.

Garrett Jones extended his career-high hitting streak to 11 with a first-inning RBI single and finished 2 for 3 with a walk. Jones is batting .415 during the streak, 17 for 41. He also made a fine diving play at first base in the second inning. "Just feeling good," Jones said.

• Huntington described Class AA Altoona closer Danny Moskos, the Pirates' first-round draft pick in 2007, as being "very close" to a promotion to Indianapolis. Moskos recorded his 16th save Sunday and has a 1.50 ERA

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10172...#ixzz0rUMMb51w
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I seem to recall something the other day about Cedeno getting into a jaw-flap with Varsho during IF practise. I'm sure that also has something to do with this.
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Threads : 1817

Cedeno is starting to enter that "head case" realm.

Guy simply can't hit. He's not even Jack Wilson-lite with his poor Offensive production.

Cedeno's UZR-150 (not regular UZR) was excellent but it's still a defensive measure that has it's warts. For instance McCutchen is a -5.2 UZR and a -10.8 UZR-150. Ronny Cedeno isn't a better defensive player at his position than McCutchen.

On the plus side... Bobby Crosby has been hitting well since getting regular playing time. His batting average has climbed up to .263 with 8 hits in his last 11 AB's (3 games)
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Cedeno's UZR-150 (not regular UZR) was excellent but it's still a defensive measure that has it's warts. For instance McCutchen is a -5.2 UZR and a -10.8 UZR-150. Ronny Cedeno isn't a better defensive player at his position than McCutchen.
    That's debatable. I've been really unimpressed by McCutchen in CF. His speed allows him to make a few spectacular plays, but he lets a lot of balls fall that he shouldn't. I think he gets poor reads more often than not. I kind of wonder if Tabata might actually be a better option there.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    That's debatable. I've been really unimpressed by McCutchen in CF. His speed allows him to make a few spectacular plays, but he lets a lot of balls fall that he shouldn't. I think he gets poor reads more often than not. I kind of wonder if Tabata might actually be a better option there.
    See I think the opposite. I've felt Cutch's jumps have been good side to side, inconsistent back and forth but range wise in general has covered a lot of ground. Basically I haven't seen him make just the safest play Nate McLouth lite.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information