Thread: Rod Woodson is coaching the Bengals?!

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Rod Woodson is coaching the Bengals?!

Rod Woodson tries out coaching with the Bengals
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 15, 2010

Rod Woodson wore a lot of helmets in his Hall of Fame career, but the sight of him wearing a Bengals cap at practice on Tuesday still must have been odd.

The NFL Network analyst worked at Bengals minicamp as a coaching intern, indicating that he's considering a career change.

Woodson wants to find out if coaching "is in my heart," according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. The one-time Steeler called Marvin Lewis with interest in a job in January and jumped at the opportunity when Lewis called back this Spring.

Woodson will stick with the Bengals for most of training camp before his television commitment takes over. The bigger question is whether Woodson is willing to give up a cushy TV gig for the grind of coaching permanently.

"The only way to do it is to do it," Lewis said. "He's going to commit himself to do it. Only thing he can experience is training camp and this. He'll know. He'll have a great idea on it."

We think Woodson does a terrific job on NFL Network. He's passionate, articulate, and does a good job teaching football.

Of course, those skills translate well to a coaching career.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...h-the-bengals/

Rod Woodson talks about coaching with the Bengals
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 18, 2010

It remains to be seen whether Rod Woodson's entry into coaching with the Bengals proves more than temporary. For now, he's taking the opportunity as a chance to learn.

"While coaching is something that I've thought about, when Coach [Marvin] Lewis offered me the chance to work with the Bengals, it was important to me to take advantage of the opportunity to keep my mind in the game and up to date on any new trends for the offenses, defenses and special teams in the NFL," Woodson said in comments to PFT.

It's a not a career change to take lightly, to put it mildly. Lewis said that Woodson initially inquired in January, after the former Steeler decided with his wife that their kids were old enough to even consider trying it out.

"Experiencing the long days in the meeting rooms and on the practice field again has given me a refresher course on what goes into building a team, from the 5 am wake up calls to the film sessions to the practices," Woodson told us. "I also believe these experiences will help me as an NFL Network analyst and I would recommend that all analysts take advantage of the opportunity if they get the chance."

Woodson returns to the NFL Network in August after spending most of training camp with the Bengals. At that point, he will be in a better position to decide if he'd want to pursue coaching in the future.

"I know the commitment coaches do have to have," Woodson told the Bengals website Thursday. "So that's something me and my wife, we're just going to have to talk about."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...h-the-bengals/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

Default Re: Rod Woodson is coaching the Bengals?!

What this really means is that Ron Woodson is becoming a probation officer

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information