Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extending McCutchen

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Extending McCutchen

So when do you do it? What do you do?

He's eligible for free agency after 2015, and here we sit, just a little over a full year into his career, and based on other contracts from other teams to their young stars, it's a prudent discussion.

He's shown that he's not a fluke.

The 'norm' in baseball now is for teams with young stars to buy out all of their arbitration years and a couple FA years, thus giving the team a discounted (paying them below FA market value in exchange for more term and higher salary during the arbitration years) player for those years.

So when do you extend him? This season? In the off-season? Early next season should he still do well? After next season just to be sure?

What do you think the FA years buyout should be? 2 years? 3 years?

Me personally, I'd like to see them wait until the off season this year to extend him and buyout 2 years of his FA.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Extending McCutchen

Well McCutchen is close, if not on pace, to fall in line with some pretty exclusive players:

In the past 5 seasons only SIX players under the age of 23 have produced .300, 20 HR, and 80 RBI performances...add in his likely 40 stolen bases and 100 R on a terrible team and McCutchen falls in line with the likes of BJ and Justin Upton, Pablo Sandoval, Brian McCann, David Wright, and Miguel Cabrera.

In the winter Justin Upton signed a 6 year 52M dollar deal. The Pirates should likely try for 7 at around the same money...maybe they get lucky.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 8

There is really no urgency until he hits the first year of arbitration.

If at that time he's proven to be the player we think he is then you lock him up long term and get as many free agent years as possible.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Daskid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If at that time he's proven to be the player we think he is then you lock him up long term and get as many free agent years as possible.
    Sounds reasonable (now I've looked up the arbitration rules - still a bit of a noob) but if there's a possibility of locking him down before, do it.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 150

Yeah but if you wait that long, at his current projection, you're not getting as big of a discount on his salary (because you'll be paying him much more in buyout years of arb and FA) that you could get sooner and for a team that has a limited budget, that's a huge mistake.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Well McCutchen is close, if not on pace, to fall in line with some pretty exclusive players:

In the past 5 seasons only SIX players under the age of 23 have produced .300, 20 HR, and 80 RBI performances...add in his likely 40 stolen bases and 100 R on a terrible team and McCutchen falls in line with the likes of BJ and Justin Upton, Pablo Sandoval, Brian McCann, David Wright, and Miguel Cabrera.

In the winter Justin Upton signed a 6 year 52M dollar deal. The Pirates should likely try for 7 at around the same money...maybe they get lucky.
    Whatever the length, it has to go until Cutch's age of 30-31. Takes us through his prime years up to the point where the speed starts to decreasing and age starts stepping in.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Whatever the length, it has to go until Cutch's age of 30-31. Takes us through his prime years up to the point where the speed starts to decreasing and age starts stepping in.
    Yeah...thats why I said 7 years.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 197

Rocco on the postgame show said that he's asked McCutchen about the possibility of a long-term deal and the impression he got was that McCutchen was cool with just going year to year and he wasn't particularly interested in some of the discounted deals you've seen out there recently. If they want to lock him in long-term they're going to have to pay for it. I guess you never know what might happen when you come to him with an offer, though. It's kind of different when it's just a hypothetical vs. when the money is sitting in front of you.

Yeah...thats why I said 7 years.
    I guess that does add up

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Rocco on the postgame show said that he's asked McCutchen about the possibility of a long-term deal and the impression he got was that McCutchen was cool with just going year to year and he wasn't particularly interested in some of the discounted deals you've seen out there recently. If they want to lock him in long-term they're going to have to pay for it. I guess you never know what might happen when you come to him with an offer, though. It's kind of different when it's just a hypothetical vs. when the money is sitting in front of you.
    Yeah, you have to figure that McCutchen isn't going to really tip his hat at his true feelings and such on that topic. I'm sure he's not really thinking about it entirely either

Threads : 8

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    Yeah but if you wait that long, at his current projection, you're not getting as big of a discount on his salary (because you'll be paying him much more in buyout years of arb and FA) that you could get sooner and for a team that has a limited budget, that's a huge mistake.
    I think as long as they're locking up free agent years they'll be shelling out big money either way, and any discount they might get by signing him sooner would be somewhat offset by the millions more he would make in at least one of his pre-arb years.

I think McCutchen's the real deal too, but the fact remains that he's barely played what equates to a full season at this point. Waiting two more years to lock him up provides more guarantee that he can repeat his success in the long term, not to mention insurance against a freak injury that might threaten his career.

I think as long as they're locking up free agent years they'll be shelling out big money either way, and any discount they might get by signing him sooner would be somewhat offset by the millions more he would make in at least one of his pre-arb years.

I think McCutchen's the real deal too, but the fact remains that he's barely played what equates to a full season at this point. Waiting two more years to lock him up provides more guarantee that he can repeat his success in the long term, not to mention insurance [HIGH-LIGHT]against a freak injury that might threaten his career[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    That's what happened with the Pirates last big contract they dished out

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Yeah, you have to figure that McCutchen isn't going to really tip his hat at his true feelings and such on that topic. I'm sure he's not really thinking about it entirely either
    The organization also needs to surround him with talent...why would he show commitment to the organization by taking a discount when the organization has yet to show commitment to him. Honestly its something to think about.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 215

To offer a big contract, Pittsburgh would have to get a discount because of the previously mention fear of injury.

For McCutchen to accept a discounted contract, he would have to fear an injury that could change his chances of maximizing the bucs$.

It seems pretty simple to me. Get close, get it done! $52 million is fifty two million!

The organization also needs to surround him with talent...why would he show commitment to the organization by taking a discount when the organization has yet to show commitment to him. Honestly its something to think about.
    Well right now he's surrounded by - Alvarez, Tabata, Walker, Jones ... There's a lot of young future potential talent there and one already proving it in Jones. Lincoln is on the staff ...

If McCutchen thinks the Pirates are going to go out in Free Agency and outbid the Yankees for the couple of legit players, then he needs to lay off the crack pipe.

Talent is surrounding McCutchen, it's just young and unproven at this point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information