Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Big Ben address his teammates?

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Should Big Ben address his teammates?

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...mmates/2791756
    Posted by Anthony Stalter (06/24/2010 @ 1:10 pm)

While talking to the NFL Network’s Rich Eisen during a televised interview on Wednesday, Steelers’ receiver Hines Ward said that Ben Roethlisberger should address his teammates in wake of what has transpired this offseason.

“A lot of players really don’t know the situation, other than what we hear in the news or the media,” Ward explained. “I think when he addresses the whole team going into training camp, we can all put it behind us and move forward.”

There was certainly nothing malicious in Ward’s statement. He wasn’t calling Big Ben out, nor was he suggesting that the Steelers haven’t embraced him upon his return to the practice field. What he is saying is that it would be a good idea if the team’s two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback addressed his teammates in order to put the situation behind him so they can move on as a team.

And I happen to agree.

Roethlisberger has ever right to keep his personal matters to himself and if he decides to do that, then he doesn’t deserve to be criticized. I wouldn’t want my dirty laundry to be aired out in front of a group of my peers, nor would anyone else. But Big Ben is already past that point.

Thanks to the media, his teammates already have a grasp on what happened and they’ve already drawn their own conclusions. But if he were to briefly stand up in front of the team and reaffirm his commitment to them, the Steelers and to winning, it might go a long way in putting the situation to rest. He doesn’t have to share details or even apologize – he just needs to kill the very large elephant in the room so that big bastard doesn’t sit there all season.

In general, people want to forgive and move on. I’m willing to bet that if Big Ben opens up to his teammates before training camp (or whenever) that he won’t have to say another word about the situation the rest of the season because it’ll be done. Again, he isn’t obligated to say anything. But given the importance of his position, his role with the team and how close professional athletes generally are, it might be in Roethlisberger’s best interest if he takes Ward’s suggestion to heart.

Threads : 60

Default Re: Should Big Ben address his teammates?

I'm actually tired of hearing Wards opinion about stuff. Why is he the teams mouth piece ? IMHO Ward when asked the question should have just said, " that's all Bens business and I don't know anything more than the next guy. " Why does he feel Ben needs to address the team ? Did Hines address the team when he got divorced ? Bens business is just that, Bens business right or wrong. Yeah, he probably is guilty of something and mostly being immature.

How or what should Ben say ? Should Ben have question and answer time with his teammates ?

Teammates: Did you snatch the booty ?

Ben: No, we drank, she hung around and she came up with a good story.

or

I tried, made a mistake, thought I was getting the signal and you know the rest.

I don't believe for one minute that the teammates other than the rookies do not know the whole story. Do you really think Colon remained quite around his fellow players ? You don't think Ben has a couple of buddies that didn't call him or hook up with him and hear Bens truth or story of that night. To some of the players I'm sure hearing it from Ben would clinch it for them of this fact and that fact but I still believe they all know what Ben would possibly say or state in the future.

The media is trying to drum up some headlines.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

First, I hear a lot of "Ben's teammates don't know what's going on" bull****. They don't read the ****ing papers?

That's a crock of ****, but the real issue is that the expectation is that Ben needs to address his teammates and explain to them why he is being a schmuck and convince them that he's not going to be a schmuck any longer since it's all a locker room distraction. His teammates deserve that addressing from Ben. That's the real issue.

Now weather or not Ben is mature enough to do this is an entirely other matter - and it should be offline, no press allowed. That includes players saying "yeah, he talked to us" - period when someone shoves a microphone in their face. The other issue is - will Ben live up to whatever he tells the team.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would be willing to bet 2 things:

1. his teammates know more than we do.
    2. his teammates care less than we do.

Threads : 29

Ward should shut his ****ing mouth. Of course the odds of that happening are about the same as me hitting the powerball.
    Last edited by The Sodfather; Jun-28-2010 at 07:29 AM.

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ben should right after Ward explains to his team-mates his business deal with a convicted drug dealer, his divorce and why it happened, and why he had a third party buy cars.

Until he does, he needs to shut the **** up.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm actually tired of hearing Wards opinion about stuff. [HIGH-LIGHT]Why is he the teams mouth piece ?[/HIGH-LIGHT] IMHO Ward when asked the question should have just said, " that's all Bens business and I don't know anything more than the next guy. " Why does he feel Ben needs to address the team ? Did Hines address the team when he got divorced ? Bens business is just that, Bens business right or wrong. Yeah, he probably is guilty of something and mostly being immature.

How or what should Ben say ? Should Ben have question and answer time with his teammates ?

Teammates: Did you snatch the booty ?

Ben: No, we drank, she hung around and she came up with a good story.

or

I tried, made a mistake, thought I was getting the signal and you know the rest.

I don't believe for one minute that the teammates other than the rookies do not know the whole story. Do you really think Colon remained quite around his fellow players ? You don't think Ben has a couple of buddies that didn't call him or hook up with him and hear Bens truth or story of that night. To some of the players I'm sure hearing it from Ben would clinch it for them of this fact and that fact but I still believe they all know what Ben would possibly say or state in the future.

The media is trying to drum up some headlines.
    Because HE IS A LEADER!!!! Think about his past...he did a lot of work to become not only the greatest Steelers WR in the history of the franchise, but also one of the most respected players in the NFL today!!!

Granted, if it werent for Ben, Hines could easily be without a ring (or two). But until somebody else has the nuts and maturity to step forward and take control of this team?...

...Hines can continue to motivate by any means necessary!!!! -IMHO-

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, Hines has apparently been on the NFL's media course this off season...
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT][HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    Because HE IS A LEADER!!!! Think about his past...he did a lot of work to become not only the greatest Steelers WR in the history of the franchise, but also one of the most respected players in the NFL today!!!

Granted, if it werent for Ben, Hines could easily be without a ring (or two). But until somebody else has the nuts and maturity to step forward and take control of this team?...

...Hines can continue to motivate by any means necessary!!!! -IMHO-

not the best

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT][HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT]

not the best
    ??? Not the best what?...Post?...or Hines' is not the best WR in Steelers History?

Threads : 3

Everyone is losing sight of the big picture here....MONEY! I totally believe these guys have every right to demand a team apology. How many of the wide outs get bonus's based on performance? Probably all of them. With Leftwich, Batch and Dixon predicted to hand the ball off a bit more, someone will lose some incentive money! What about player's shares for playoffs? If they lose all 4-6 games he is out and miss the playoffs by one game you guys don't care if he apologizes to the team??? Be serious here. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! This team (with an emotionally stable Big Ben) should be a playoff contender. Every guy on this team should be ****ed at Big Ben for putting that in jeopardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan View Post
    Everyone is losing sight of the big picture here....MONEY! I totally believe these guys have every right to demand a team apology. How many of the wide outs get bonus's based on performance? Probably all of them. With Leftwich, Batch and Dixon predicted to hand the ball off a bit more, someone will lose some incentive money! What about player's shares for playoffs? If they lose all 4-6 games he is out and miss the playoffs by one game you guys don't care if he apologizes to the team??? Be serious here. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! This team (with an emotionally stable Big Ben) should be a playoff contender. Every guy on this team should be ****ed at Big Ben for putting that in jeopardy.
    That's a very good point!!! Excellent post!!! That's a side of this that really doesnt get discussed often...

But again, I believe that Hines is the type of player that speaks up, in the interest of the success of the team, as well as his financial gain equally!...But I guess they go hand in hand at the end of the day?...

I'm not sure that I'm completely educated on Hines' (and the other players') contracts and incentive pay, but an interesting take on the subject none-the-less!
    Last edited by Bton66; Jun-28-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Stallworth and Swann were both better receivers than Hines in my opinion. Hines can block and is dependable but as a pure receiver, Stallworth and Swann were better. Hines is great too, glad he is on our team but the other two struck fear into the other teams.

Stallworth and Swann were both better receivers than Hines in my opinion. Hines can block and is dependable but as a pure receiver, Stallworth and Swann were better. Hines is great too, glad he is on our team but the other two struck fear into the other teams.
    It's a touchy and difficult debate to say the least, but by the time Hines' career is over, it will be clear...if it's not already!

stats are not everything. i just think swann and stallworth were more explosive and could change a game more than hines. hines is the hard working guy type of player and gives it his all and that is his offering to the team. i just think the other two were more of pure in your face talent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information