Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pens Acquire Dan Hamuis Rights From Flyers For A 3rd

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pens Acquire Dan Hamuis Rights From Flyers For A 3rd

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325745

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The Philadelphia Flyers have dealt the rights to free agent defenseman Dan Hamhuis to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for the Pens' third-round pick in the 2011 draft.

The deal was announced on the Flyers' twitter page on Friday, minutes after the completion of the first round of the 2010 draft in Los Angeles.

Hamhuis, an unrestricted free agent, was originally dealt from Nashville to Philadelphia on June 19 along with a conditional draft pick for defenseman Ryan Parent.

However, the Flyers could not come to terms with the 27-year-old who posted five goals and 24 points in 78 games for the Preds, before the July 1 free- agent signing deadline.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Default Re: Pens Acquire Dan Hamuis Rights From Flyers For A 3rd

I like it. I like it a lot.

Hamhuis made $2.5 last year ($2.0 against the cap). He'll probably want max double that, we might be able to get under $4. Not sure where the Flyers and Hamuis were at in negotiations or what he's asking for. We've got $12.49 million in cap space, so we can afford it.

Nice Defensive upgrade

Threads : 210

i read this morning as the cryers last offer was 3.1 mil and Hamhuis wanted something like 3.8

dont know if that true

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Genofan#1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i read this morning as the cryers last offer was 3.1 mil and Hamhuis wanted something like 3.8

dont know if that true
    No deal in place between Pens, Hamhuis Inside Access
    11:07pm - Friday, June 25th, 2010 by DePaoli
    The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired the rights to defenseman Dan Hamhuis from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for a third round pick in 2011. The trade was made at the end of the first round.
    Hamhuis, 27, spent his first six NHL seasons with the Nashville Predators before being traded to the Flyers last week. He was originally drafted 12th overall by the Predators in 2001 when Pens GM Ray Shero served as Nashville’s assistant GM.
    Hamhuis, 27, has been a top target of the Penguins since the 2010 NHL trade deadline.
    The 6-foot-1, 209-pound Hamhuis, who will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1st, appeared in 78 games for the Predators this past season, scoring five goals and adding 24 points to go with a plus-4 rating.
    Regarding contract negotiations, Wade Arnott the agent for Dan Hamhuis tells Inside Pittsburgh Sports this evening that no deal is in place. There has been no indication from Hamhuis camp on when talks will officially begin.
    They are waiting to talk to Penguins GM Ray Shero. However, talks between the two sides will likely begin tomorrow morning in Los Angeles.
    [HIGH-LIGHT]Team sources tell me they fully expect to get Hamhuis under contract. The belief is that the Penguins are prepared to offer Hamhuis, Brooks Orpik type of money ($3.75 million) and a contract in the 5-to-6 year range.
    [/HIGH-LIGHT]

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...amhuis/2/29015

I spoke to a couple of the agents in Newport Sports Group this afternoon in LA who represent defenseman Dan Hamhuis.

The two sides are not close in negotiations. It's not money. It's not length of contract.
    It's something less obvious.

The problem is the Flyers have two No. 1 defensemen in their top 2 pairs in Chris Pronger and Kimmo Timonen. Matt Carle is not being moved away from Pronger and the Flyers don't want to move Braydon Coburn away from Timonen.

This means less minutes for Hamhuis as an overpaid No. 5 guy and he's always been the top 3.

Hamhuis right to PGH for 3rd round pick next year was just announced by Holmgren

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still find it strange that hockey teams trade between division rivals. I am ashamed to say I don't know much about this guy but if you guys think it's a good move then I am thinking it's a good deal. So if he got say 4 big ones how is our cap looking now?

Quote Originally Posted by Genofan#1 View Post

dont know if that true
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilpens View Post
    No deal in place between Pens, Hamhuis Inside Access
    11:07pm - Friday, June 25th, 2010 by DePaoli
    The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired the rights to defenseman Dan Hamhuis from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for a third round pick in 2011. The trade was made at the end of the first round.
    Hamhuis, 27, spent his first six NHL seasons with the Nashville Predators before being traded to the Flyers last week. He was originally drafted 12th overall by the Predators in 2001 when Pens GM Ray Shero served as Nashville’s assistant GM.
    Hamhuis, 27, has been a top target of the Penguins since the 2010 NHL trade deadline.
    The 6-foot-1, 209-pound Hamhuis, who will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1st, appeared in 78 games for the Predators this past season, scoring five goals and adding 24 points to go with a plus-4 rating.
    Regarding contract negotiations, Wade Arnott the agent for Dan Hamhuis tells Inside Pittsburgh Sports this evening that no deal is in place. There has been no indication from Hamhuis camp on when talks will officially begin.
    They are waiting to talk to Penguins GM Ray Shero. However, talks between the two sides will likely begin tomorrow morning in Los Angeles.
    [HIGH-LIGHT]Team sources tell me they fully expect to get Hamhuis under contract. The belief is that the Penguins are prepared to offer Hamhuis, Brooks Orpik type of money ($3.75 million) and a contract in the 5-to-6 year range.
    [/HIGH-LIGHT]
    $3.8??

That's pretty **** sweet.

Gives us a top 4 stay at home D at the age of 27 for his prime years at a great price, and we still have close to $9 million left under the cap.

Here's where I get worried. I love this move so Ray Shero... but we better not be resigning Gonchar unless it's for peanuts. Last I read is that talks between Barry and Shero at the draft went nowhere. Gonch probably won't waive his NTC to trade his rights so they'll keep negotiating.

What we need to do is snag a legit and younger top line winger. Work a trade for Versteeg?? that would be nice, but no Ray Whitney's or any other geriatric player when we have space and a chance to get a better, and younger player.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I still find it strange that hockey teams trade between division rivals. I am ashamed to say I don't know much about this guy but if you guys think it's a good move then I am thinking it's a good deal. So if he got say 4 big ones how is our cap looking now?
    Well Shero was the Asst. GM in Nashville When they drafted him 12th overall, Supposedly his agent is looking for 4 Years At least 16 Mill

He didn't want to sign with The Flyers because he wants Top Minutes & Shutdown role, Flyers he was going to Be on their 3rd Pairing

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Near $9 million remaining and here's the open roster sopots needed to be filled

Kunitz - Crosby - ???/Dupuis/Talbot
    ???/Dupuis/Talbot - Malkin - ???/Duipuis/Talbot
    Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
    Rupp - Adams - Godard

Letang - Orpik
    Hamhuis - Golgoski
    ??? - ???

There's 3 Top 2 line wing positions open and we have 2 players under contract for 2 of those spots which leaves us needing just 1 winger unless a trade is made.

Defense could be filled with someone like Lovejoy who is already counted against the cap at a measley $525K..

Leaves near $9 million to sign a Top 6 winger and a 5th/6th defenseman which usually costs around $1 million.

Leaves us a lot of really nice options. granted, I don't really like Dupuis and Talbot holding Top line positions very much at all

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    $3.8??

That's pretty **** sweet.

Gives us a top 4 stay at home D at the age of 27 for his prime years at a great price, and we still have close to $9 million left under the cap.

Here's where I get worried. I love this move so Ray Shero... but we better not be resigning Gonchar unless it's for peanuts. Last I read is that talks between Barry and Shero at the draft went nowhere. Gonch probably won't waive his NTC to trade his rights so they'll keep negotiating.

What we need to do is snag a legit and younger top line winger. Work a trade for Versteeg?? that would be nice, but no Ray Whitney's or any other geriatric player when we have space and a chance to get a better, and younger player.
    NO They will be trading Gonchar's rights if they sign Hamhuis, Get a 2nd for Gonchar's rights & use the 2nd rd. Pick & TK to get Versteeg !!

Well Shero was the Asst. GM in Nashville When they drafted him 12th overall, Supposedly his agent is looking for 4 Years At least 16 Mill

[HIGH-LIGHT]He didn't want to sign with The Flyers because he wants Top Minutes & Shutdown role, Flyers he was going to Be on their 3rd Pairing[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    He'll get there here. We lack a shutdown Defenseman and without GOnchar we'll lack a minutes guy too.

Hamhuis averaged about 21+ minutes per game and that was 3rd on the team defensively with Ryan Suter and Shea Weber logging just a few more minutes per game.

Really really nice addition and move

NO They will be trading Gonchar's rights if they sign Hamhuis, Get a 2nd for Gonchar's rights & use the 2nd rd. Pick & TK to get Versteeg !!
    Everything I'm reading is that they are going to keep negotiating with Gonchar and Gonch and Barry weren't willing to waive the NTC during the first round of the draft.

I like the pipe dream for getting Versteeg but if we are offering TK we're gonna have to offer more than a 2nd but I've got hope. Give them Dupuis too

Threads : 6

I don't think anyone is going to trade anything for Gonchar's rights at this particular moment. I think that would be quite foolish. Where's Sather when you need him?

Threads : 135

Im a huge Gonchar fan so I'd love them to re-sign him...but I think its a pipedream now. If they did get him and Hamhuis done, though, I'd really like our D-corps for next year. I think you could still get some other players to fill in around with what would likely be 4M left to play with (could even maybe trade for Versteeg still LOL)...Wont happen...but I like to think it still b/c I like Gonchar.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information