Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Signing Gonchar and Hamhuis is goal

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Signing Gonchar and Hamhuis is goal

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10178/1068637-61.stm

By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Frank Gunn/Canadian Press
    Sergei Gonchar has 259 points in his five seasons with the Penguins.

LOS ANGELES -- It's a vision the Penguins like. A lot. They will find out soon if they can bring it to life.

They see a defense that includes Sergei Gonchar, Dan Hamhuis, Brooks Orpik, Kris Letang and Alex Goligoski as their top five. They are willing to sacrifice bringing in a high-profile winger or two this offseason to turn it into reality.

"That would be the way we would go with our team, with the strength on defense," general manager Ray Shero said Saturday. "We would go with the guys we have up front and give some needed opportunity to some younger players."

The Penguins are strong in the middle with centers Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal. After following a Stanley Cup championship in 2009 with a second-round playoff exit this year, it seemed the weaknesses were their defensemen's play in their end and lack of production from the wingers.

They have chosen to focus on the former, but Gonchar and Hamhuis are eligible to become unrestricted free agents if the Penguins do not sign them by Thursday.

Gonchar, 36, has been the team's top defenseman and power-play quarterback and is at the end of a five-year, $25 million contract. Shero dealt a 2011 third-round draft pick to Philadelphia Friday for the rights to Hamhuis, 27, who has spent his entire career with Nashville before being dealt to the Flyers little more than a week ago.

Shero spoke to Gonchar and Hamhuis' agent, Wade Arnott, Saturday and hoped to speak to Hamhuis Saturday night or today as he tries to work toward a contract agreement with both.

With Gonchar, the two sides have reached a point where someone will have to blink in terms of money or length for their to be an agreement. With Hamhuis, who made $2.5 million last season, there is an added issue -- he wants assurance that his role will be one he feels is right for him.

Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren, who gave up after a week of trying to sign the defenseman told Shero as much.

Shero said that's one reason he plans to involve coach Dan Bylsma in the conversation with Hamhuis.

Bylsma has a pretty convincing pitch.

[HIGH-LIGHT]"He's going to play a big, major role -- a shutdown guy, a top-minute guy on the back end," Bylsma said. "We've identified Dan as a guy that we want to come to our team for a number of reasons -- top quality of character, the type of player he is, what he brings to our team. ... He's the guy at the top of our list of what we're trying to add to our defense with Sergei Gonchar as well."
    [/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Shero, an assistant general manager for Nashville when Hamhuis was selected 12th overall in 2001, said that in addition to being responsible in his end, Hamhuis has offensive talent that was untapped with the Predators. He has never had more than seven goals or 31 points in an NHL season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_687881.html

Shero is Bluffing & will probably **** the Bed & not sign either one , Hossa Part DUH !!
    Last edited by Evilpens; Jun-27-2010 at 06:30 AM.

Default Re: Signing Gonchar and Hamhuis is goal

The Pens Lost in the Playoffs because teams tried & succeeded in Neutralizing Sid & Geno & making all the other Players Beat them & Because MAF was lets say...................... less than Stellar

How is Having a Better D going to make a bunch of 3rd Line Wingers into goal scoring Machines ?

Threads : 206

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10178/1068637-61.stm

Shero is Bluffing & will probably **** the Bed & not sign either one , Hossa Part DUH !!
    If Shero ****'s the bed on this one (especially Hamhuis)......

I'm not sure if Shero has a clue about what he's doing. The Pens have a $5 Million goalie that aparrently needs a $20-25 Million defense in front of him? I thought Bylsma system was a more offensive-minded system? They spend all that money on 3 of the best Centers in the league and surround them with 6 of the most mediocre wingers in the league. That's like putting your dad's Buick's steel-belted, radial whitewalls on an Indy car!

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shero doesn't know what he is doing? Really???

Threads : 0
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Eh, that was a team that was able to be the 5th ranked scoring team in the regular season. Yea I know the point is the playoff performances but at the same time the regular season numbers suggest that it can be done. All i see is negativity just for the sake of being negative.

Threads : 77
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we do sign Hamhuis I'll be very happy. To me, eversince THAT goal by the Canadiens I'm looking at Gonch's potential deal as a expensive retirement present. I don't like signing dead weights for a big cap hit.

Yes, he was key on the PP, he is one of the NHL's premier puck moving PP quarterbacks but... I was really disappointed with the lack of effort and soft play in the playoffs. He has done much good for the organization and I'll always love him for that, but this should be the end of his tenure here.

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Xterratu View Post
    If we do sign Hamhuis I'll be very happy. To me, eversince THAT goal by the Canadiens I'm looking at Gonch's potential deal as a expensive retirement present. I don't like signing dead weights for a big cap hit.

Yes, he was key on the PP, he is one of the NHL's premier puck moving PP quarterbacks but... I was really disappointed with the lack of effort and soft play in the playoffs. He has done much good for the organization and I'll always love him for that, but this should be the end of his tenure here.
    We got Hamhuis as insurance. We are signing at least one of them, but i agree with you that Gonch may be too expensive.

Threads : 277

Sign Hamhuis, go with the "kids on D," and then try and trade or sign a Top 6 wing.

IMO, you don't trade away a 3rd round pick for the rights to negotiate with a guy unless you are 100% sure you can sign him and 95% sure if you don't negotiate early, he signs with someone else. Maybe a 6th or 7th rounder. So Hamhuis better be a done deal. I agree with X about Gonchars playoff performance. I would have cut ties with Gonch after he mailed that in.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post
    We got Hamhuis as insurance. We are signing at least one of them, but i agree with you that Gonch may be too expensive.
    It's not insurance imo, this is the guy we NEED to get our D back in top form. Gonchar I can take or leave at this point. Better leave than stay tho.

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post
    A team with precious Few Winger prospects CAN'T be trading away 3rd Round Picks for "INSURANCE"

Threads : 5

With a new coach running the power play, there is no guarantee that Gonchar's role will be as prominent. Any chance of putting a forward, preferably someone with a hard, accurate shot, at the top? Isn't that really what Gonchar did? he was pretty calm about getting a shot, but a forward could learn that if they had a great shot. Not like Gonchar ever got back to prevent a short handed goal. Washington runs there power play with 4 forwards, right? Would give some flexibility on the rotations as well. Just a thought.

I don't want Goligoski up there cause his shots are about 50 mph and Letang can't hit the net to save his soul. I know Malkin has an accurate shot.

From TIOPS So remember Take with a Truckload of Salt

2:38pm - Monday, June 28th, 2010 by DePaoli
    Two sides still negotiating
    Negotiations between Pens GM Ray Shero and J.P. Barry the agent for Sergei Gonchar continued this morning after Gonchar's camp took the weekend to consider their options.
    Sources in Gonchar's camp tell me this afternoon that there has been "no movement" towards a new deal today. The Penguins I'm told are not showing a willingness to increase their current two year offer.
    Negotiations though are expected to continue into tomorrow, Inside Pittsburgh Sports has learned.
    Gonchar's camp has informed the Penguins that they would like to push forward and try to workout a new deal and are not ready to make a decision on testing free agency.
    When asked if talks were getting close to breaking off until after July 1, Barry said, "No, still talking."

tick, tock, tick, tock...

Does anyone remember how long it took Ryan Malone to sign with Tampa Bay, after the Pens traded his right?

Any chance Ray ends up trading the rights to Gonchar and Hamhuis?

(Just sign one of these guys ! Please!!! )

Threads : 13

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    tick, tock, tick, tock...

[HIGH-LIGHT]Does anyone remember how long it took Ryan Malone to sign with Tampa Bay, after the Pens traded his right[/HIGH-LIGHT]?

Any chance Ray ends up trading the rights to Gonchar and Hamhuis?

(Just sign one of these guys ! Please!!! )

The Lightning acquired his rights on June 28 ( for a third i might add), they signed him the next day.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information