Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheechoo

Threads : 13

Default Cheechoo

Dan Rosen is reporting in an article on nhl.com that The Sens have waived Jonathan Cheechoo. This means that if no team claims him (likely due to having to take on the contract) then he will become UFA's come July 1. Now, I'm not a huge Cheechoo fan by any means, but he is a guy I would take a chance on because he would come cheap, and you could probably sign him to a two way deal.

Now, I know how much he has struggled over the last 2 years. He had only 14 points in 61 games last year with the Sens. He also only dressed for one playoff game. But, why not see if he'll sign a two way deal at league min. with the possibility to resurrect his career playing on the right side with Sid or Geno? He's only 29. A former 56 goal scorer. Not much to lose here. If he sucks, then so what, he can play in WB. This FA winger class sucks. Why not take a shot, if the price is right, on a former 56 goal scoring RW, and see what he can do alongside the best player in the world?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533072
    Last edited by jeffkingsmustache; Jun-28-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cheechoo

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He can Skate !! that is why he can't score goals. He skates like a Pregnant Wildebeest

Threads : 6

He had one good year and all the hype is based on that. The rest of his career is pedestrian at best. A two-way deal sounds good in theory, but someone will offer him a one-way deal.

Regardless, this is one to pass up.

Threads : 206

Ya... I'm not a fan of Cheechoo's either.

Threads : 13

Quote Originally Posted by ihateusernames View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [HIGH-LIGHT]He had one good year and all the hype is based on tha[/HIGH-LIGHT]t. [HIGH-LIGHT]The rest of his career is pedestrian at best[/HIGH-LIGHT]. A two-way deal sounds good in theory, but someone will offer him a one-way deal.

Regardless, this is one to pass up.
    He had one great year in 05-06 when he had 56+37 and won the Rocket Richard trophy. He had three other very above average years around that though. The year before the 56 goals he had 47 pts in 81, and the 2 seasons following, 06-07 & 07-08, 69 pts in 76 games and 37 pts in only 69 games, respectively.

You may well be right that some team will offer a better deal than the Pens would even consider. But, I disagree that he was a one season wonder. If I'm Cheechoo, I look what the Pens have at RW now (not much) and the players they have at center that I could play with, and I'd take my chances with a league min, 2 way deal. If offered, of course. Remember, he played 25 games with Ottawas AHL team last year, I'm not so sure a lot of teams are going to offer one way deals for much money.
    Last edited by jeffkingsmustache; Jun-28-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpens View Post
    NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He can Skate !! that is why he can't score goals. He skates like a Pregnant Wildebeest
    I agree with you here, although I think even a Wildebeast could score 20 on Sid's wing. Cheecho is the classic one year wonder, like the career 230 hitter who manages to hit 325 out of the blue one year.

Threads : 0

We have graduated far past the trying a reclamation project stage a few years ago. That is a CP 03-04 move not a move for today's Pens.

Threads : 77
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

The laziest Richard winner I ever saw. Tanguay would be better.

Threads : 2

Not in a million years. He will get signed for under a mil somewhere. And it wont be here. Or he can go for the big bucks in Russia.
    ďItís a game of emotion, itís a game of hard work.
    Itís a game of passion, Kovalchuk, what he did the other day Ė thereís not one guy who was close to doing something. Maybe Maxime Talbot at the end with one second left. Hes about 5ft8 pfft"

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkingsmustache View Post
    He had one great year in 05-06 when he had 56+37 and won the Rocket Richard trophy. He had three other very above average years around that though. The year before the 56 goals he had 47 pts in 81, and the 2 seasons following, 06-07 & 07-08, 69 pts in 76 games and 37 pts in only 69 games, respectively.

You may well be right that some team will offer a better deal than the Pens would even consider. But, I disagree that he was a one season wonder. If I'm Cheechoo, I look what the Pens have at RW now (not much) and the players they have at center that I could play with, and I'd take my chances with a league min, 2 way deal. If offered, of course. Remember, he played 25 games with Ottawas AHL team last year, I'm not so sure a lot of teams are going to offer one way deals for much money.
    Having a good season is one thing but Rocket Richard season is a whole other thing. If you want a sure thing, you are going to have to pay for it and the Pens will be looking for bargains so why not? Sometimes you have to roll the dice.

Threads : 61

I think it would be worth the risk. He's far from a one year wonder. He's had four decent seasons, although the first, third, and fourth not nearly as good as the second.

2003-04 GP: 81 G: 28 A: 19 Pts: 47
    (Lockout)
    2005-06 GP: 82 G: 56 A: 37 Pts: 93
    2006-07 GP: 76 G: 37 A: 32 Pts: 69
    2007-08 GP: 69 G: 23 A: 14 Pts: 37

Who knows what happened after that? There may have been things going on no one knows about. Give him a chance to play with Sid, it could be just what the doctor ordered. He's got the speed we need for the top line. He'll come dirt cheap. If it works out, it could be the steal of the century, and if not, we waive him, and what would it hurt? I don't understand the opposition. I think it's well worth a shot. It's not like there's anything else out there, unless we make a trade. And a trade will probably cost draft picks, and we're already *****ing about that.

Just for the hell of it, I'll throw in his playoff stats for those four seasons combined:

GP: 53 G: 15 A: 18 Pts: 33

Not overly impressive, but consider he was playing for a team known for choking early in the playoffs.

Threads : 85

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post
    I agree with you here, although I think even a Wildebeast could score 20 on Sid's wing. Cheecho is the classic one year wonder, like the career 230 hitter who manages to hit 325 out of the blue one year.
    nate mclouth does not appreciate your thinly veiled dig at him

Threads : 47

Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    I think it would be worth the risk. He's far from a one year wonder. He's had four decent seasons, although the first, third, and fourth not nearly as good as the second.

2003-04 GP: 81 G: 28 A: 19 Pts: 47
    (Lockout)
    2005-06 GP: 82 G: 56 A: 37 Pts: 93
    2006-07 GP: 76 G: 37 A: 32 Pts: 69
    2007-08 GP: 69 G: 23 A: 14 Pts: 37

Who knows what happened after that? There may have been things going on no one knows about. Give him a chance to play with Sid, it could be just what the doctor ordered. [HIGH-LIGHT] He's got the speed we need for the top line.[/HIGH-LIGHT] He'll come dirt cheap. If it works out, it could be the steal of the century, and if not, we waive him, and what would it hurt? I don't understand the opposition. I think it's well worth a shot. It's not like there's anything else out there, unless we make a trade. And a trade will probably cost draft picks, and we're already *****ing about that.
    i had the impression that he is way too slow and lazy and that is what did him in. At this point, if it was me, i would have a talk with both kariya and selanne and ask them if they want one last chance at the cup for the league minimum. At this point in their careers, i can't see them playing for the money factor, same with Modano. All three of those guys can still play, still have their legs. Cheechoo was scratched in the playoffs on a Senators team with injuries.
    Last edited by PSmitty; Jul-03-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: yes i realize Selanne has a cup with Anahiem, but they are playing for love now

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post
    i had the impression that he is way too slow and lazy and that is what did him in. At this point, if it was me, [HIGH-LIGHT] i would have a talk with both kariya and selanne and ask them if they want one last chance at the cup for the league minimum. At this point in their careers, i can't see them playing for the money factor, same with Modano.[/HIGH-LIGHT] All three of those guys can still play, still have their legs. Cheechoo was scratched in the playoffs on a Senators team with injuries.
    Sure, I'd take any of those three over Cheechoo. As long as they come cheap.

As far as his 'speed'......yeah that was my bad. I was thinking of Jordin Tootoo. I used to always get them mixed up. I'll admit that does lessen my enthusiasm for him, but I STILL think he's worth a shot.

As far as laziness....again, that could all be behind the scenes stuff we don't know about. Perhaps Ottawa was just simply a lousy fit for him. Maybe Pittsburgh could be just right for him. Remember, when Jerome Bettis came to Pittsburgh, the Rams' coach said HE was lazy too. He worked out just fine for us. All I'm saying is if there's nothing else out there, and we can get him for less than million, why not? Hell, if we can talk him into a two way contract, then I'd say GO FOR IT. I'm not sure if that's even possible, or legal though. I'm not going to pretend like I understand the rules behind contract situations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information