Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Pitching?!?!

Threads : 6

Default Starting Pitching?!?!

Does anyone here think that the Pirates should or would have any interest in either the Carlos "Biz Z" Zambrano (of course the Cubbies would have to pick-up a big chunk of his salary) or my personal favorite making a legitimate run at Brandon Webb (who was a true #1 prior to his injury). My understanding is that Brandon Webb is from this region Oh-Ky-PA and would the chance to come back and pitch in this area.

Default Re: Starting Pitching?!?!

I think this team should start supplementing the big league club with some free agents and taking some high end risks with trade acquisitions. I wonder what the D-backs would be asking for Webb seeing as his contract is up after this year or next, I forget.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would not mind a gamble either way...but Z is also a little nutty.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 13

I'd take a chance on Webb if the asking price wasn't too much. Zambrano, no thanks.

My first preference would be Brandon Webb, of course. I think the Bucs should be absolutely kicking the tires with D-back reps seeing what it would take. We have the time to allow Brandon Webb the opportunity to try and get back to where he was combined with all the youthful talent that is starting to make its way to Pittsburgh. I think Frank and Neil could put forth a solid pitch to a guy that wants to be significantly closer to home.

With regards to Big Z, I would take a chance with the caveat that the Cubs have to pay a sizable portion of the deal.

Zambrano has pitched too many innings for my liking. Not one, not two, not three, not four.....but yes FIVE seasons with 200 IP and another with 188. Those innings add up...especially when you're a strikeout pitcher who has a tendency to throw a ton of pitches.

Webb also has pitched a ton of innings...this season is not the Brandon Webb you expect...and certainly he's pitching below his ability. But the statistics don't lie....those numbers of innings can really take a toll on a body and can, in the end, limit the shelf-life of a pitcher.

You want a pitcher to pitch into his mid-30s and past...you dont let him pitch 200+ innings that many times...especially with the number of pitches it takes for these guys to get their statistics.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 4

Not meant against you just the Bucs

"You want a pitcher to pitch into his mid-30s and past...you dont let him pitch 200+ innings that many times...especially with the number of pitches it takes for these guys to get their statistics."

Yes I would love a Bucs pitcher that would be in the league (with the Bucs that would last till he's in his 30s)

Sorry I need a real rant but not tonight

Maybe tomorrow

I know completely different topic but I'm tired

Threads : 197

Webb's a strange case. He's nearing 2 full seasons without really pitching. 4 innings in 2009 and 0 so far in 2010. He may be coming back in about a month, but we'll see how that goes. Seems like he's going to have to be eased back in. He'll be a free agent this offseason. No idea what kind of deal he'd get.

I hear Mark Prior is working out at USC for scouts from just about every team on Wednesday...

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Webb's a strange case. He's nearing 2 full seasons without really pitching. 4 innings in 2009 and 0 so far in 2010. He may be coming back in about a month, but we'll see how that goes. Seems like he's going to have to be eased back in. He'll be a free agent this offseason. No idea what kind of deal he'd get.

I hear Mark Prior is working out at USC for scouts from just about every team on Wednesday...
    Mark Prior. LOL. Id certainly take a flier on him on a minor league deal...its not like we've not wasted more money (LIKELY) on Iwamura+. But I am afraid he's done.

Id like to see the Pirates take a chance or two simply because we dont have much other choice for the present.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 29

At some point if they want to actually contend they're going to have to make a move by trade or FA. However, this is not the time or player to do that with.

PLus he's nuttier than a fruit cake.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    At some point if they want to actually contend they're going to have to make a move by trade or FA. However, this is not the time or player to do that with.

PLus he's nuttier than a fruit cake.
    I assume your reference is to the Big Z, and I can't argue with that. However, I will just say that the guy has tremendous talent and sometimes it's just about a change in environment.

I would love to see the Bucs make a legitimate run at Brandon Webb.

These are both the types of trade acquisitions that the Bucs should be going for right about now. High risk with very high reward but with only a reasonable amount of up front commitment.

If it was me, I would be selling high on P Maholm and G Jones and Hanrahan. Take the best deals possible for Dotel, Doumit, and Duke. Check and see about what you could get for Church. Go young and let the kids play. Bring up players like Pearce, J Thomas, Morton and H Penn.

Threads : 24

Quote Originally Posted by dcm8299 View Post
    I assume your reference is to the Big Z, and I can't argue with that. However, I will just say that the guy has tremendous talent and sometimes it's just about a change in environment.

These are both the types of trade acquisitions that the Bucs should be going for right about now. High risk with very high reward but with only a reasonable amount of up front commitment.

If it was me, I would be selling high on P Maholm and G Jones and Hanrahan. Take the best deals possible for Dotel, Doumit, and Duke. Check and see about what you could get for Church. Go young and let the kids play. Bring up players like Pearce, J Thomas, Morton and H Penn.

I'm guessing they'll get a lot of calls on Maholm. I hope they say, "How about Duke?"

Joel Zumaya just went down for what looks to be the year. the catcher g Laird said her heard something pop. How about Dotel and maybe Carrasco to the Tigers for some prospects?!?!? I don't know a whole lot about their system but I gotta believe they have some talent.

Quote Originally Posted by dcm8299 View Post

[HIGH-LIGHT]If it was me, I would be selling high on P Maholm and G Jones and Hanrahan. Take the best deals possible for Dotel, Doumit, and Duke. Check and see about what you could get for Church. Go young and let the kids play. Bring up players like Pearce, J Thomas, Morton and H Penn.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Huh? You want to trade Garrett Jones and Paul Maholm without any other capable players to take their place? You want to trade one of the better players on our team, Jones, who is proving last year wasn't a fluke?

I get that you are trying to just throw out ideas...but the Pirates should not be trading every player on their team. You just indicated that they should be trading 7 players. Thats unrealistic and certainly not whats in the best interest of the organization right now.

Im ok with them trading Doumit and Duke...and possibly Church. And if they were given a great deal for Maholm I think they'd have to consider it. But I dont think they should trade Jones or Hanrahan or Dotel right now.

And I certainly would not want to trade Jones so that PEARCE could play......I wouldn't want to trade Maholm so that MORTON could play...and I wouldn't want to trade my relievers so that Thomas and Penn---PENN---could play.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 122

If you trade Doumit...who takes his place? Jamarillo???

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information