Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Colon's achilles...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_688009.html

If Steeler Willie Colon has Achilles tear, his season's over
    By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, June 28, 2010
    Last updated: 2:22 pm

A trying offseason for the Steelers just got worse.

Starting right tackle Willie Colon left the Steelers' practice facility on crutches today with a foot injury. Colon hurt his right foot while working out at Steelers' headquarters. There were initial fears that Colon, who has started 54 consecutive games, tore his Achilles tendon.

If that is the case, Colon will need surgery and miss the upcoming season.

Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert confirmed an Achilles injury today on the team's web site.

"He is still undergoing further evaluations by Steelers' medical personnel and we will not have anything more to release at this time," Colbert said.

The loss of Colon would be a serious blow to the Steelers, who are expected to make more of a commitment to the running game this season, especially with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger out for at least the first four games because of a suspension.

The 6-3, 315-pound Colon is one of the Steelers' nastiest run blockers and has been a mainstay on their offensive line since Mike Tomlin took over as head coach in 2007.

There is little in the way of proven or experienced depth behind Colon and fellow starting tackle Max Starks. If Colon is out for the season, Trai Essex may get first crack to fill his spot.

Essex, who started at right guard last season, could also be moved to left tackle and Starks switched to the right side of the offensive line. Starks started at right tackle in 2005 and for most of 2006 before losing his starting job to Colon.

Note to Colon's agent: You might want to reconsider your client's promotion and negotiation position.

I nearly started this thread with the title "Colon Injured" but thought better of it...
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colon's achilles...

This is not good news! Sure Colon has been the target of a lot of criticism over the last couple years, but it's going to be tough to replace his experience. Fortunately, this happened now and not later. At least we have training camp and preseason to evaluate other options and give his replacement some time to gel.

At present, it seems to be pending an MRI. My first thought was that, if this isn't as bad as it seems, it might give some perspective to his contract negotiations.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

Shifting Starks to right tackle is almost as bad as having Willie playing there. Has Scott Brown ever watched a Steelers game? Willie Colon "a nasty run blocker"? I need somma that ganja

He might have meant nasty as in "that was a nasty pizza - I almost couldn't eat it".

WPXI is reporting that he's out for the season. As Bton said, at least there's time to try to get a fix in place before the season.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Im not in any way upset by this...except that I feel bad for him. You think that Essex now moves to RT...or possibly Foster. You then could well see the Steelers FINALLY giving some youngsters a chance in Foster, Urbik, and/or Pouncey.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im not in any way upset by this...except that I feel bad for him. You think that Essex now moves to RT...or possibly Foster. You then could well see the Steelers FINALLY giving some youngsters a chance in Foster, Urbik, and/or Pouncey.
    In a "perfect world" we can expect Pouncey to make a run at a #1 spot at Center and/or Guard...We'll see come August.

I must say though, I really did think that this was going to be a "coming out" type year for Colon. The guy has ALL of the physical tools necessary to excel in his position. For the most part, his mistakes were mostly technical, ie...penalties and missed assignments. I really thought he made some strides last season mentally, and with another camp, I did believe he could figure it out. He like most of our young linemen are projects at best...and he was just about to hit his stride...IMHO!

This IS kind of a bummer! Are there any unsigned Vets out there that could compete in camp and push our other young guys (...and maybe start)?

Threads : 691

Steelers RT Colon injures Achilles, expected to miss 2010 season
    By Jason La Canfora | NFL.com

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

Pittsburgh Steelers right tackle Willie Colon is expected to miss the entire 2010 season after suffering what doctors believe to be a torn Achilles' tendon, a source with knowledge of the situation said Monday.

Colon, who didn't miss a game the previous three seasons, likely will have season-ending surgery Wednesday. He injured the Achilles' tendon during a Monday workout and left the Steelers' facility on crutches.

Colon had an MRI on Monday, and the Steelers likely will make an announcement about those results Tuesday. The injury recovery time is at least five to six months, and the Steelers plan to place Colon on season-ending injured reserve, according to the source.

Colon's injury is the latest blow to a Pittsburgh offense that will be without franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for at least the first four games of the 2010 season because of suspension. Top wide receiver Santonio Holmes, facing a suspension himself, was traded to the New York Jets in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick this offseason.

The Steelers' depth at tackle is limited behind Colon and could affect their plans to emphasize the running game next season. One option might be to use first-round draft pick Maurkice Pouncey, who played center and guard at the University of Florida, in Colon's spot.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know there are a lot of Colon haters up in here that are probably ecstatic over this news but I can almost guarantee the replacement will be worse. Not good depth at tackle imo. This is not good for our line, everything needed to go right for them to be good. This is a set back. Sometimes though you never know maybe someone will step up and embrace this position, I have my fingers crossed.

Threads : 6

Cant kick him when down.
    But he had as much of a "comming out" season as Les would.

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I think some of you guys better be careful what you wish for.

Finally give them a chance?? Foster and Urbik are 2nd year guys (Foster getting some PT and starting a few) and Pouncey is a rookie

And just for the record, Wexell reports he was injured during a routine agility drill.
    Last edited by The Sodfather; Jun-29-2010 at 11:25 AM.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post

And just for the record, Wexell reports he was injured during a routine agility drill.
    Now thats just funny right there.

I don't think this is bad at all.Colon is terrible.I don't see us upgrading by losing him,but I sure as hell don't see us downgrading either.

Threads : 23

Iffy for me. Yay/Nay, Potato/Potatoe.

I hope it works out for him though.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Rumour (i.e. an ESPN source told Adam Schefter) has it that Flozell Adams' agent claims Adams is visitng Da Burgh today.

12 year vet. Definitely not a long term solution but possibly cheap, since he's looking for a gig. Might be useful for training camp. Hmmm...

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just not a good ****ing start to the season... Ben gone for 4/6 weeks, Sweed gone for season (not that it mattered much), and now this... Yea, I'd like to see Pouncey get a solid chance at starting, but Urbik struggled with the adjustment to pro life last year and Foster was a backup for a reason.

... Just not the greatest start to a season where we all are gonna demand serious production.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information