Thread: Five Altoona players named All-Stars

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Five Altoona players named All-Stars

FIVE CURVE PLAYERS HEADED TO HARRISBURG AS E.L. ALL-STARS

06/29/2010 1:33 PM

CURVE, Pa - A total of five Altoona Curve players will make up the Eastern League Western Division All-Star roster on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at Metro Bank Park in Harrisburg, PA.

Eastern League President Joe McEachern made the announcement this afternoon that Altoona Curve catcher Hector Gimenez, first baseman Matt Hague, infielder Josh Harrison, right-handed pitcher Derek Hankins and left-handed pitcher Rudy Owens will represent the Curve and the city of Altoona.

Hague and Owens were chosen by fan balloting that was conducted online.

The five representatives for Altoona is the most that have been selected since 2008 and will be the most that are attending since 2007. In 2008, righty Yoslan Herrera was unable to attend due to his promotion to the Major Leagues at the time, while second baseman Shelby Ford could not participate due to injury.

Gimenez, 27, currently has the second-highest average in the league at .327. He also leads the league in slugging percentage (.627) and is second in on-base percentage (.407). His 11 home runs are tops on the Curve team.

Hague, 24, is one of the toughest outs in the Eastern League as the Seattle, Wa. Native strikes out just once every 9.87 times at the plate which is fifth best in the circuit.

Harrison, 22, currently has the fifth-best average in the circuit at .313. Like Hague, Harrison has proven to be a very pesky out as the Cincinnati, Oh. native goes down swinging just once every 12.78 plate appearances, ranking second in the league. Harrison has also pounded out 22 doubles which is second most in the E.L.

Hankins, who will celebrate his 27th birthday on Thursday, has the lowest ERA in the Eastern League a 1.60. The Altamont, Ill. native has strung together a superb season as a valuable swing man, appearing both out of the bullpen and being used in the starting rotation for Altoona. Hankins also ranks third in the league in WHIP (1.06), while opponents are hitting just .212 off the righty (fourth best)

Owens, 22, currently has the fifth lowest ERA (2.74) in the Eastern League while also leading the circuit in WHIP (0.95). Additionally, opponents have hit just .211 off of Owens this season, which ranks third-best.

The Curve have the second most representatives in the Eastern League as the Harrisburg Senators, will have six representatives and the Eastern Division’s New Hampshire Fisher Cats will also have six players.

“Our whole team is thrilled for these five guys,” said Altoona Curve Manager Matt Walbeck. “All five are very deserving as they each have been significant contributors to our team’s success this season.”

For Hague and Hankins, this year’s All-Star selection is the first in their professional careers. Gimenez was selected as a mid-season All-Star while playing for the Corpus Christi Hooks in the Texas League in 2005 while in the Houston Astros organization. Harrison was a Mid West League All-Star last season while in the Chicago Cubs chain and Owens was a South Atlantic League All-Star last season as well while playing for the West Virginia Power.

Fans can download the entire Eastern League Western Division roster by clicking HERE. Fans can download the entire Eastern League Eastern Division roster by clicking HERE
    http://www.altoonacurve.com/pressbox...rticle_id=2840
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Default Re: Five Altoona players named All-Stars

Congrats to [HIGH-LIGHT]Harrison, Hague, Owens, Gimenez, and Hankins[/HIGH-LIGHT].

Notable players left off of the all-star roster are [HIGH-LIGHT]Justin Wilson[/HIGH-LIGHT]. Who for most of the season had a better ERA than Owens.

Moskos and Presley also would have likely been all-stars making the Curve team the leading team in the league in terms of representatives...but alas they have been promoted.

A little detail about these guys...Gimenez, honestly, is just a really old guy who's cleaning up against youngsters. Doesn't really earn a spot in my mind, but that's kinda whatever.

Hague and Harrison are both players I like in terms of possible MLB productivity. I think with Hague you get a guy with solid average who doesn't strike out a ton with possible power upside--although not enough to be an everyday starter. I see the same with Harrison, although he's a little younger so he has a little more time to develop some power. Hague can play 3B, 1B, and the OF positions so you could get a decent utility-bench player with him...again because he doesn't strike out a lot that's what you want from a good pinch-hit/role player.

With Hankins you get a reliever who is a little older for AA ball and has spent some significant time in the minors already. However, you do not want to diminish what he's done this year. He's had a really solid year (although the low k/bb rate scares me).

I think by now anyone who follows the Pirates organization closely--even passively following the minors--knows about Rudy Owens. The organization's pitcher of the year last year has not disappointed this season. He was hot out of the gate and has progressed well throughout his time at AA this year. You figured there might be some drop-off in play with increased level of competition, but Owens has excelled. He's got one of the top ERA, WHIP, BAA, and BB/K rate in the whole league. At only 22 and a lefty--although more of the control type lefty and not a power pitcher--he certainly has potential to be a key piece to our rotation in the next year or so.

The man left off the all-star team...which I find to be a real disservice to him and his year this year is, again, Justin Wilson. Some will remember that I broke the news of his signing way back when and was ecstatic about it. I am all the more so today. The kid has proven, again, that he can be a force on the mound. He's a more power-strikeout focused lefty with some dominant k9 numbers to go along with a stellar .207 BAA. The way he has pitched this season there is no doubt that he should be a league All-Star...one thing to note is that you would traditionally see some difference in the splits between lefty-right in terms of BAA and ERA...and while Wilson's ERA is higher against righties than lefties, his BAA is still a staunch .204...actually lower than that against lefties (.213).

The last two prospects here discussed, Owens and Wilson, team up with recently promoted Bryan Morris to create the fierce Altoona Three...easily one of the best trio of pitchers not just in this league, but in many minor leagues throughout the country. Right now it is not an exaggeration to say that the Pirates hopes for the immediate future in the pitching department lies with the fate of these three men...and barring injury the future does look good.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 413

Kudos Benny for the great information.

Threads : 94

Harrison......C level prospect

Hague.......C level prospect

Owens......decent prospect

Gimenez.......non prospect

Hankins....non prospect

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Harrison......C level prospect

Hague.......C level prospect

Owens......decent prospect

Gimenez.......non prospect

Hankins....non prospect
    That's about how I would rank them as well...although even being a C level prospect you can stick with a ML team as a utility man/bench guy. Look at Mackowiack.
    Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information