Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pens Sign Michalek and Martin for $9 Annually....

Threads : 277

Default Pens Sign Michalek and Martin for $9 Annually....

Goodbye Hamhuis!!!

Any wingers out there?

(That headline should be $9 Million.)
    Last edited by DCBILL; Jul-01-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pens Sign Michalek and Martin for $9 Annually....

Good job Ray idiot. Instead of addressing the issue (lack of scoring depth after Sid and Geno) you went and wasted your entire free agency wad on Defenseman with this belief that it was just the Defense that held the Pens back in the Playoffs from advancing. Never mind that Fleury was giving up a softie or 2 per game, the Penalty Kill(which includes forwards) stunk, your $4 million waste of a "shutdown" center was busy shutting down nobody as Michael Cammallari was busy raping Staal and the Pens. All along Sid and Geno were getting shutdown and shut out and nobody else could provide any sort of scoring despite the system itself controlling possession.

Just 1 good winger was all I was hoping for. Just one. We had a free spot. Now our Top 2 scoring lines look like this..

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
    Talbot - Malkin - ?? (probably some less than $2 million should be a 3rd liner slug)

Not that I don't like Martin and Michalak. I just disagree that Defense was the ONLY spot the needed improved.

Maybe there's a trade brewing
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 61
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good job Ray idiot. Instead of addressing the issue (lack of scoring depth after Sid and Geno) you went and wasted your entire free agency wad on Defenseman with this belief that it was just the Defense that held the Pens back in the Playoffs from advancing. Never mind that Fleury was giving up a softie or 2 per game, the Penalty Kill(which includes forwards) stunk, your $4 million waste of a "shutdown" center was busy shutting down nobody as Michael Cammallari was busy raping Staal and the Pens. All along Sid and Geno were getting shutdown and shut out and nobody else could provide any sort of scoring despite the system itself controlling possession.

Just 1 good winger was all I was hoping for. Just one. We had a free spot. Now our Top 2 scoring lines look like this..

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
    Talbot - Malkin - ?? (probably some less than $2 million should be a 3rd liner slug)

Not that I don't like Martin and Michalak. I just disagree that Defense was the ONLY spot the needed improved.

[HIGH-LIGHT] Maybe there's a trade brewing [/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Which is why I'm not ready to throw him under the bus just yet. I agree with every point you make, but the D was very bad. Now we got good D. If nothing happens by Oct. 7, then I'll cut and paste and your post, and treat like my own

Threads : 271

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis

Maybe there's a trade brewing
    Who was the 1 Good Winger ???????????? Whitney ?? I am tired of the Ancient Wingers routine, Maybe they will trade one of the Plethora 3rd/4th Line Wingers & Gogo for a Wtop winger later

Threads : 4

I think this is remorse for scuds & gill leaving
    don't know much about these guys but 1 IR & a shot bocker 4 9 mil 4 that may yrs?

enlighten me someone, please

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pd man View Post
    I think this is remorse for scuds & gill leaving
    don't know much about these guys but 1 IR & a shot bocker 4 9 mil 4 that may yrs?

enlighten me someone, please
    I just think it comes down to the idea that they have to do these deals this way or face the prospect of having a bunch of scrubs on D again. I would have thought they would have tried to grab ONE of the top 5 FA's tho not 2 of them. I dunno tho as weak as our wings are I still think we have a pretty **** good team. We shall see how this plays out.

Threads : 206

I wasn't shocked that the Pens focused on defense. Look at what the Pens have in their farm system. Not a lot anywhere but more forward potential than defense. Basically the defensive talent has already been called up (gogo, lovejoy and letang) These 5 year contracts give the Pens a chance to restock the defenseman pool in the minors.

What the Pens need now is for the rest of the team to step it up! Especially Kunitz, MAF, TFK and Talbot. With this defense, the Pens may not need to score a lot to win. But they need everyone to earn their paychecks!!!

Staal needs to play a more prominent role (probably second line minutes) or he needs to be moved. If Staal doesn't have the hands needed to be a scorer, than get someone who does. Now would be a perfect time to trade him, while teams still have cap space. I like Jordan Staal, but times change and he's the one piece that may not fit the "new" puzzle.

Please, No more excuses for MAF! Stop the pucks you're suppose to or find a new team to play for!

Lastly, the Pens will need to give some of the WBS Pens a serious opportunity to play. Not just a call up here and there to play on the 4th line!

Overall, I'm happy with Day 1's progress. We didn't give in to Gonchar's 3 years (I'm shocked!) We'll see what day 2 brings!
    Last edited by (419)BlackNGold; Jul-01-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Threads : 61

I'm confident Talbot will step it up. Last season was an off year for him. Kunitz and TFK will have to step it up. I think both are capable of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpens View Post
    Who was the 1 Good Winger ???????????? Whitney ?? I am tired of the Ancient Wingers routine, Maybe they will trade one of the Plethora 3rd/4th Line Wingers & Gogo for a Wtop winger later
    Ive been dead set against Whitney all off season. You've read my posts.

I was in favor of going the trade route for a winger BUT you still need cap space to do it and with the Pens overpaying Michalek and Martin... forget about it now

Threads : 29

Appears to me Shero is banking on the young guys (Tangardi, Johnson, Jefferies, etc........).

I hope his faith is justified.

I still Tanguay would have been worth the shot at 1.7 mil.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    I wasn't shocked that the Pens focused on defense. Look at what the Pens have in their farm system. Not a lot anywhere but more forward potential than defense. Basically the defensive talent has already been called up (gogo, lovejoy and letang) These 5 year contracts give the Pens a chance to restock the defenseman pool in the minors.

What the Pens need now is for the rest of the team to step it up! Especially Kunitz, MAF, TFK and Talbot. With this defense, the Pens may not need to score a lot to win. But they need everyone to earn their paychecks!!!

Staal needs to play a more prominent role (probably second line minutes) or he needs to be moved. If Staal doesn't have the hands needed to be a scorer, than get someone who does. Now would be a perfect time to trade him, while teams still have cap space. I like Jordan Staal, but times change and he's the one piece that may not fit the "new" puzzle.

Please, No more excuses for MAF! Stop the pucks you're suppose to or find a new team to play for!

Lastly, the Pens will need to give some of the WBS Pens a serious opportunity to play. Not just a call up here and there to play on the 4th line!

Overall, I'm happy with Day 1's progress. We didn't give in to Gonchar's 3 years (I'm shocked!) We'll see what day 2 brings!
    IF the rumor is true about Staal moving up to the 2nd Line, then I think this is the do or die season and who knows, he could get moved by the trade Deadline if he doesn't produce BUT, I better not ****ing see him Centering the 2nd Line and forcing Geno to the Wing. Staal lacks the vision, playmaking and passing abilities to Center a productive line and there's no way Geno will be happy forced to play a wing to Jordan frickin' Staal. If Staal wants to stick with the team he needs to thrive as a 2nd line winger. Staal lacks in just about every single Offensive category but he's found ways to score. That's all he needs. If he can pot 20+ with Cooke and TFK he can pot that and more with Geno and whoever Shero finds.

I'm intrigued. I think that Staal absolutely needs to move up to the wing to justify him having $4 million of the cap but I've got a feeling he might be able to do better than he has with his previous 2nd line chances

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    Appears to me Shero is banking on the young guys (Tangardi, Johnson, Jefferies, etc........).

I hope his faith is justified.

I still Tanguay would have been worth the shot at 1.7 mil.
    I don't like Jeffries personally for a 2nd line wing spot. Replace TFK on the 3rd line?? I like that.

I think Johnson and Tangradi can do it. they'll have their struggles and such but you need to keep with them, they're gong to get better with time and experience. Shero needs to start having faith in the system for Top line wing roles like he has with top defensive pairing roles. We can't keep trying tin find guys on the cheap to play with Sid and Geno. Cheap FA's usually are cheap for a reason. With Tangradi and Johnson... you don't really know what you have

Threads : 29

I agree it's time for Staal to step up offensively. I would assume that's part of Shero's plan. Staal and a youngster or two step up for top 6 roles.

Talbot will be fine centering the 3rd line.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    I agree it's time for Staal to step up offensively. I would assume that's part of Shero's plan. Staal and a youngster or two step up for top 6 roles.

Talbot will be fine centering the 3rd line.
    OH yeah. Talbot will be more than fine and if he fails we have 3rd line centers in WBS.

The time has come though. We just simply can't afford to have a $4 million 3rd line center on this team when we lack scoring depth on the wings.

Staal is 22-23 now, he's no longer a baby or should have the "young and potential" tag stapled to him with 4 years or so of NHL experience.. now it's time to produce.

Threads : 2

OH yeah. Talbot will be more than fine and if he fails we have 3rd line centers in WBS.

The time has come though. We just simply can't afford to have a $4 million 3rd line center on this team when we lack scoring depth on the wings.

Staal is 22-23 now, he's no longer a baby or should have the "young and potential" tag stapled to him with 4 years or so of NHL experience.. now it's time to produce.
    Exactly. If he can't be any better working with Sid/Geno than the other dregs they have had in the past, it's time to shed the $4 salary.

We do indeed have a number of guys who can fill the 3rd line centre position adequately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information