Threads : 413

Default Alvarez

2010 Season Stats
    SPLITS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    Season 15 49 3 8 3 0 0 6 4 24 0 0 .163 .222 .224 .447
    Career 14 46 3 7 2 0 0 5 4 22 0 0 .152 .216 .196 .411
    Last 7 days 7 22 1 4 1 0 0 2 2 13 0 0 .182 .250 .227 .477
    Projected 98 320 20 52 20 0 0 39 26 157 0 0 .163 .222 .224 .447
    Through July 1 - Current stats updated real-time, Career stats updated nightly.
    OK, time for a discussion. My vote is he needs more work and should go back to Indy. Yes this team isn't going anywhere, but he's killing us. K's 50% of his plate appearances does not warrant playing at this level. Don't care how much $ he makes. Don't care if he was a #1 pick. So was Lincoln, so was Walker, so was Moskos.

Have at it boys.
    Last edited by exNCite; Jul-01-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Alvarez

nobody else that can play 3b up here is hitting, i say play him. His ave keeps climbing, he his driving in runs here and there, and i saw him hit a ball 400' to the opposite field on a ball that was thrown at or just below his knees. The power he has is sick.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let him play no one player is killing this team they just plain old ain't going to win this year.

mikey

He already learned how to hit AAA pitching he can't learn ML pitching back there.

Threads : 122

Let him learn on the job.

Threads : 29

We're 28 and 52 but Pedro is killing us.

I think you need to give him more than 2-3 weeks.

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

go back and look at his #'s when he moves up a level. Always a slow start, always a fast/reasonably fast learner.

I thought they should've left him down for another month or so, but since he's here...give him the stability and let him have at it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're 28 and 52 but Pedro is killing us.

I think you need to give him more than 2-3 weeks.
    Well, I agree that we are 28-52, but what got us there? Performances like the one Pedro is giving us certainly aren't going to improve on that. JR makes a good point that he has started slowly at every level he's been at and maybe he'll do the same here. I think it was avery good move on Russell's part (hard to believe actually) to move him in the order. He should get better pitches to hit being sandwiched between Tabata and Cutch. #2 is not a very good spot, though, to bat someone who Ks 50% of the time and he must improve on that.

What does it say to the rest of the team if you say WTF, we're 28-52 anyway so let him learn on the job. Other than trying to keep your job, where's the incentive to win? We're not going to win until 2012 so I may as well just bide my time here until then. Think the fans are going to tolerate that? ****, you may as well bring up Owens, Moskos, Morris and other other of the high prospects and let them learn here too.

My only point is that he may have been rushed to the ML level and could have been better served to stay in Indy. Do I think he's terrible? Far from it. He has tons of potential. But those words, my friend, are second only to "he sucks" as being the worst moniker you can give someone.

Threads : 2

I would rather Pedro learn here. Everyone sort of expected he would struggle when he moved up a level. I argued before he was promoted that we ought to get that process out of teh way now - while we are terrible - and let him, Jose, Cutch, Jones, Walker, etc. learn together. I would much rather they continue down this path than send him back to tear up AAA picthing.

Threads : 29

First off I agree he could have used some more time in Indy. Lincoln and Tabata too for that matter but that's another story.

Well, I agree that we are 28-52, but what got us there? Performances like the one Pedro is giving us certainly aren't going to improve on that.
    Right, so let's go back to playing Andy LaRoche, and his mighty .240 average, everyday instead of letting this kid, hopefully, learn and get straightened out. As has been mentioned by others he has started slow at every level.

Look at Lincoln, for example. He was "killing us" his first few starts but lo and behold he put together 7 shutout innings the other day. Maybe it was a fluke but maybe he just needed time to adjust to the bigs. Tabata has had his ups and downs too. IIRC he was down to .200 at one point. Which leads me to my next point.........

We're not going to win until 2012 so I may as well just bide my time here until then. Think the fans are going to tolerate that?
    Well I would hope that Bucco fans would know they are going to have to show some patience and realize there are going to be up and downs while these kids learn and gain experience. As the old saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day".

****, you may as well bring up Owens, Moskos, Morris and other other of the high prospects and let them learn here too.
    They have had no success at the AAA level. Pedro did.

You may be right. He may have been rushed but, as I said in my last post, give the kid a few more weeks and if he's still struggling (the K rate is particulary disturbing) then send him down. Patience grasshopper..............

mikey

What do the Pirates gain by putting LaRoche back at 3rd? Maybe they can bring Aki back and let him play there. Do you really think that the rest of the team is sitting around worrying about Pedro being in the lineup?

Threads : 122

As far as I can tell Pedro had a big RBI double yesterday against the Phillies and we won 3-2. Sounds like he did his part in the W.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As far as I can tell Pedro had a big RBI double yesterday against the Phillies and we won 3-2. Sounds like he did his part in the W.
    He did and maybe he is coming along, although he still had 2 Ks with runners on and another error. Look I'm not down on him (well maybe a little at this point) but I simply wanted to open a discussion because I really haven't seen anyone talk about it.

I simply feel he is being giving a little more slack while not producing at this point than others. Moss was not this bad in his first 20 games, Adam LaRoche was just as bad in the season until June, yet they took a lot more criticism.

Just saying.

Threads : 215

I never really wanted our new guys to have instant success. It would only go down hill. They are the future, while improving, in the present..........I have hope!

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that Charlie from Bucs Dugout summed it up perfectly:

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2010/6/30/...eason-to-freak

A weird tweet from the usually-sensible Jerry Crasnick:

Pedro Alvarez: 6-for-41 with 19 strikeouts. How buried does he have to get before Pirates send him back to Indy?
    Um... a lot more buried? There are two issues here: first, Alvarez is the kind of player who needs to adjust upon promotion to a new level, and second, the sample size here isn't really significant enough to worry about. It's been 14 games; you don't promote one of the top prospects in baseball only to send him back to the minors when you don't like what you see after 14 games.

While Alvarez's struggles to start his major league career aren't what you'd call good news, they weren't exactly unpredictable either. His physical gifts are impressive, but he's not the most natural talent in the world. He'll probably always rack up strikeouts, and he'll probably always need to make little adjustments to keep his batting average in good shape. He also has a history of struggling a little bit at his first exposure at a new level - he had a bit of trouble at Lynchburg last year and at the beginning of this season at Indianapolis. While his major league numbers are weaker than they were when he started at Lynchburg and Indianapolis, again - it's only 14 games, and a star could struggle like he has over 14 games and it would hardly register.

In short, let's leave Pedro alone for now, shall we? If he's still not hitting after 200 at bats, then maybe we'll really have something to be concerned about, but for now, he needs time. I'm not sure what good it would do to send him back now anyway - we already know he can rock Class AAA pitching. The best way for him to adjust to the difference in competition, if in fact that's a problem, is to let him keep trying.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information