Thread: Morton nearly traded to Arizona for Chris Snyder

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Morton nearly traded to Arizona for Chris Snyder

I know the opinions of Charlie are mixed around here, but I'll merely say Thank God Josh Byrnes got fired yesterday before this deal could be consumated..

This from the Twitter page of John Gambadoro (prominent Phoenix sports talk radio host who has a major in with the DBack front office)..

Gambo620: Dbacks were close to shipping dissapointing catcher Chris Snyder to Pirates for struggling pitcher Charlie Morton before the firings
    Let me first say, Chris Snyder defensively would be a huge upgrade over Doumit. With the stick, the two are about on par.

That said, while Morton is down in the minors now after a morbid start, I also perhaps am valuing him a little higher than he should be, but I'm not nuts about this trade. I still think Morton has some upside and can wind up being the pitcher he's capable of, and think this would be a rough trade for the Pirates.

Not liking NH's thought process here.
    Listen Live, Every Thursday Night at 10 PM Eastern Time

Hidden Content (in progress)

Hidden Content

Threads : 12
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Morton nearly traded to Arizona for Chris Snyder

This might have been a precursor move to a trade of Doumit.

Added: The defensive upgrade and pitch calling would improve greatly. Might make the deal worth while.

Huntington is probably realizing that position players are at a minimum in the org and needs to move some pitchers.
    Last edited by dharr18; Jul-02-2010 at 05:51 PM.

DHarr, I agree in that sense, with a young pitching staff, Snyder's pitch calling and defense would be a huge help.

I don't have a problem with getting him at all, he'd be a nice bridge until Sanchez is ready, and a good mentor for him when he's up. However, with as pitching thin as the Pirates are, and Morton still having some upside in my book, I'm not liking this deal.

Hidden Content

Threads : 691

This might have been a precursor move to a trade of Doumit.

Added: The defensive upgrade and pitch calling would improve greatly. Might make the deal worth while
    However, with as pitching thin as the Pirates are, and Morton still having some upside in my book, I'm not liking this deal

Both of you guys make valid points.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 197

I'm not really sure what I think about that deal. Snyder's injured almost as frequently as Doumit is and he's never been able to hit for average. He does manage to draw enough walks to have average on base skills and he has good power for a catcher. His defense is average-ish and from what you hear he apparently handles his pitching staffs well. He's making pretty good money this year and next, then has a $750,000 buyout due if you don't exercise his $7 million option in 2012.

There's no way I'd do this deal last year. Now I think maybe it could be OK, I guess it depends on what you end up getting back for Doumit. Doumit's offensive value is actually pretty similar to Snyder. Snyder's defense is better, but still not that great.

Threads : 45

In today's economic climate and the way these deals seem to work, I can't envision taking on salary and giving up a player with upside such as Morton. I'm in no rush to trade to Doumit, even though his defense is barely passable. For me, the same goes for Dotel. Unless the Marlins are trading us Logan Morrison or somebody of that nature, Dotel is worth more to us, than whatever he can be traded for.

Threads : 691

Pirates Notebook: Morton's stint turns to option
    Saturday, July 03, 2010
    By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Matt Freed/Post-GazettePirates pitcher Charlie Morton.Charlie Morton was optioned to Class AAA Indianapolis, where he already had been pitching on a minor-league rehabilitation stint and where he will start again Sunday night.

The reason?

Morton's rehabilitation time was about to expire Tuesday -- had been place on the 15-day disabled list May 28 and already made five starts for Indianapolis -- and management decided it was best to keep him there at least through the All-Star break.

"We felt this was the best time to option Charlie," general manager Neal Huntington said. "He is healthy and prepared to come off the disabled list, but we do not see a good fit on the major-league roster at the present time. We believe he will be a quality major-league starting pitcher again for us in the future but, as we weighed our options, we determined the best course of action was to continue his development at Triple-A."

To hear Morton's pitching coach at Indianapolis, Dean Treanor, tell it, Morton should be bound for Pittsburgh soon.

"I was asked after that start Charlie had last week, 'Was he ready?' Yeah, he was ready," Treanor said by phone from Louisville, Ky., referring to Morton's complete-game, one-run, two-hit gem June 24. "And Charlie's still ready. It's just a matter of when they feel is the right time to bring him back to Pittsburgh."

Morton was placed on the disabled list partially to allow time for a mildly sore right shoulder but mostly for a chance to recover mentally from that disastrous 1-9 record and 9.35 ERA. With Indianapolis, Morton is 1-2 with a 4.33 ERA, with 21 strikeouts and 10 walks.

After the aforementioned gem, he lasted only 3 1/3 innings Tuesday and was charged with four earned runs and seven hits, but Treanor dismissed the latter because he saw little difference in Morton's mechanics or mindset.

"It was one of those days where the command wasn't there," Treanor said. "Obviously, the two-hit game before it was very, very good. Well, Charlie's trying to figure out some things with his delivery, and he was able to mostly carry that over. I think that two-hit game was a much better indication of where he is."

As for Morton's mental state, Treanor, very much the old-school type, acknowledged having to handle him in a special way.

"Charlie's a different personality, so you don't really talk to him that same way that you do, say, a Brad Lincoln," Treanor said. "You don't use the same terminology, and you don't attack things the same way. But there is competitiveness in there, and it shows. I feel like I'm getting to know him. Everybody has questions about him, but I don't. The competitiveness is there."

All quiet on July 2 front
    The Pirates, along with most teams, were quiet on the first day of the signing period for international 16-year-olds, mostly because it now takes days, even weeks to get clearance on a player's age and identity under new regulations.

One source said the Pirates have agreed to contracts with several players falling into the July 2 category but that it will take "some time" before they will announce them.

Marte returning
    Starling Marte, the Pirates' top outfield prospect, will return to action tomorrow for Bradenton of the Gulf Coast League after missing nearly two months to hand surgery.

Marte will stay with the GCL team for about a week before making his next move. He had been with the high Class A Bradenton team.

Buried treasure
    • Second baseman Neil Walker is expected to return to the lineup tonight after missing a week to a concussion, though that will not be confirmed until he is checked again this afternoon for concussion symptoms. He took grounders and participated in his first batting practice Friday.

• Zach Duke's two rehabilitation starts probably will come with Class AA Altoona next week, beginning Monday. He pitched a side session Friday at PNC Park with no issues from his strained left elbow.

• Pitcher Chris Jakubauskas, also with Indianapolis, left the game Thursday because of a strained right hip flexor and should miss a week. The Pirates decided Friday to end his rehabilitation assignment, which had been for the concussion sustained April 24 when struck in the head by a line drive

• AOL Fanhouse reported that the Florida Marlins have inquired about trading for closer Octavio Dotel. The Pirates are not known to be shopping any reliever, and Dotel, in particular, might be hard to get because of his $4.5 million club option for 2011 that the Pirates will consider exercising.

• First baseman Steve Pearce was rested Thursday and Friday by Indianapolis because of a sore left knee, and the team said he could be examined with an MRI if it does not improve soon.

• Eric Fryer, a catcher with the Pirates' Class A affiliate in Bradenton, was hit by a pitch in the face Thursday and could need surgery to repair the orbital bone near his eye. Fryer, 24, was acquired as part of the Eric Hinske trade last summer and was batting .274 with seven home runs and 34 RBIs.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10184...#ixzz0scweIMgR
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 135

Not really interested in trading Dotel unless its for a AA or better B+ or better prospect. Why? Because he's got an affordable option and has been very good this year. We need some continuity in the pen and he'd be a good start.

About Morton? I dunno. Maybe he needs better coaching...he's so inconsistent and just seems mentally all over the place. Snyder isn't bad, but I'd like to get someone in FA...this season is mostly lost. I'd trade Morton+ for Webb and Snyder.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 197

What would trading for Webb accomplish? You maybe get 2 months of him while he tries to recover and prove himself healthy then he leaves as a free agent.

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What would trading for Webb accomplish? You maybe get 2 months of him while he tries to recover and prove himself healthy then he leaves as a free agent.
    I was more trying to say that if you give up morton you'd need more than just Snyder...Webb, I would like to see us have him and have an increased opportunity to sign him.

The Pirates need an ace...and Webb would be a guy I'd take a chance on.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I was more trying to say that if you give up morton you'd need more than just Snyder...Webb, I would like to see us have him and have an increased opportunity to sign him.

The Pirates need an ace...and Webb would be a guy I'd take a chance on.
    Pirates would be half retarded to spend $8.5 million + on a 31+ year old pitcher in Brandon Webb. Too much uncertainty at his age. I can't see the Pirates making this type of decision or move/trade unless they needed a push over the hill to make it to the playoffs. We aren't at that point yet IMO.

I hate the idea of a Snyder for Morton trade. Even if Morton is a bust, Snyder doesn't really do much for the team at all IMO. Like someone else said, you'd hate to trade away "potential" in Morton for a guy like Snyder whose upside is pretty much below average - average. That would do little help especially in place of Ryan Doumit.

mMorton is an enigma. We've all seen him pitch game and look absolutely filthy. His first outing of the year he struck out like 5 of the first 6 batters he faced and then he hit a wall. We've seen that the kid can be dominant and not just dominant in that he can have like 2K's, 0 BB's and give up 2-3 hits and 0 runs, he can have a high level of K's as well and not full rely on defense... I've just got zero answers for why he's so badly inconsistent. Not sure anyone else really does. I'd just hate to see a guy with potential leave here and flourish elsewhere especially when our Starting Pitchers looks crap in the present and near future
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Pirates would be half retarded to spend $8.5 million + on a 31+ year old pitcher in Brandon Webb. Too much uncertainty at his age. I can't see the Pirates making this type of decision or move/trade unless they needed a push over the hill to make it to the playoffs. We aren't at that point yet IMO.
    I wouldn't spend $8.5 million on Webb, but I will tell you this much-- he's a free agent at season's end. I'd at worst test his shoulder out extensively and take a cheap flier on him. When he's healthy, he's arguably one of the best pitchers in the National League, if not all of baseball. If the Pirates can get him on the cheap, and his shoulder tests out, this is one of those band-aids I'm MORE than willing to take a flier on.. Kipper, you know for a fact I HATE the band aid route, so saying this tells you something.

I hate the idea of a Snyder for Morton trade. Even if Morton is a bust, Snyder doesn't really do much for the team at all IMO. Like someone else said, you'd hate to trade away "potential" in Morton for a guy like Snyder whose upside is pretty much below average - average. That would do little help especially in place of Ryan Doumit.
    I'll say this much for Snyder.. His defense and game calling is exceptional. He's no Doumit behind the plate, I assure you of that. He's also on par with the stick, although Doumit's a slightly better average overall. I do think he'd be an upgrade, but not substantial or long term enough of one to make this move.

I think all of Morton's flaws are fixable with proper coaching. While at 26 and with seven-eight years of minor league experience, it's getting to the point where he's running against time, I've also seen games and signs that lead me to think he's capable of becoming a very good pitcher. I think there's still some upside there.

Like you said Kip, he's an enigma for sure. However he's like a house that's just a few minor cosmetic changes away from being a gem.. Or a car that needs a paint job..

Point is, the Bucs have a potential gem, but one that needs a little tinkering.

Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information