Thread: Newsome holding on to Penn State's starting quarterback job

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Newsome holding on to Penn State's starting quarterback job

Newsome holding on to Penn State's starting quarterback job
    Sunday, July 04, 2010
    By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

[IMGR]http://i27.tinypic.com/ot1920.jpg[/IMGR]UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Kevin Newsome holds a slight edge over Matt McGloin in Penn State's unpredictable quarterback derby.

But when preseason practice begins next month, Newsome knows there will be little margin for error.

Any slip-ups could cost the sophomore the starting job and a shot at replacing Daryll Clark, a two-year starter and the Big Ten Conference's co-MVP last season.

"I just got to keep working hard," Newsome said. "I know that whoever the best player is, and whoever gives this team the best opportunity to win, is who coach Joe [Paterno] is going to play. And I can't be mad at that."

Newsome and McGloin, a redshirt sophomore, have been participating in informal throwing sessions this summer with Penn State's wide receivers. True freshmen quarterbacks Paul Jones from Sto-Rox High School and Robert Bolden also have been participating.

"Before you can lead, you have to follow," Newsome said. "Right now, I'm just watching the upperclassmen and learning from what they teach me and learning from coach Joe and what everybody shows me. I'm not the quarterback yet, I'm still working to get the position."

Newsome, 6 feet 2 and 220 pounds, was a U.S. Army All-American in 2008 as a senior at Hargrave Military Academy. A native of Portsmouth, Va., he was rated the 10th-best prep quarterback in the country by Scout.com. He enrolled at Penn State in January 2009 and played sparingly as Clark's backup last season. He completed 8 of 11 passes for 66 yards and also ran 20 times for 95 yards and two touchdowns.

Newsome, regarded as an elusive runner, struggled with his passing in the Nittany Lions' annual Blue-White Game in April, completing 5 of 12 passes for 50 yards. He was sacked three times.

McGloin, 6-1, 204, is a former walk-on from Scranton, Pa., who appeared in three games last season and also was erratic in the spring game. He completed 10 of 23 passes for 110 yards but was intercepted twice and sacked once.

"I've just been trying to do my best," Newsome said. "I feel a lot more comfortable now, but I've got a lot of work to do."

Paterno has said he has no idea whether Newsome or McGloin will start for the Nittany Lions this fall.

Neither player has started a college game, and both still have a lot to learn before the Sept. 4 home opener against Youngstown State.

"Newsome's come a long way since he first got here," wide receiver Derek Moye said. "He's a lot more mature, and I think that was the biggest thing. He's got to settle down when he's in the game, and if he does that, I think he'll do a great job."

That being said, Moye said the quarterback battle between Newsome and McGloin is "too close to call," and said it may not be settled until a few games into the season.

"Honestly, I really don't have a preference," said Moye, who is from Rochester. "Newsome and McGloin are both getting better. If we need two quarterbacks to play, that decision will be up to the coaches. That's what they get paid for.

"As a wide receiver, I just got to go out there and catch the ball if one of the quarterbacks throw it to me."

Moye said the two newcomers -- Jones and Bolden -- have been impressive.

Jones, 6-3, 223, was an early enrollee in January. Bolden, 6-4, 206, arrived on campus a month ago after graduating from Orchard Lake (Mich.) St. Mary's Prep.

Jones was the star of the Blue-White Game, throwing two 18-yard touchdown passes in his first action. He completed 5 of 8 passes for 67 yards and was sacked once.

"Jones has a really strong arm," Moye said. "And Bolden looks like a great athlete with a really nice arm."

In addition to working with the receivers, the quarterbacks also have been getting advice and encouragement -- primarily over the phone -- from former Penn State quarterbacks Clark and Michael Robinson, now a running back for the San Francisco 49ers.

"Penn State football is a brotherhood," Newsome said. "It's a true family here. All of the quarterbacks are hard workers. All of us are funny guys. We all hang together. We're all friends."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10185/1070321-143.stm
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 29

Default Re: Newsome holding on to Penn State's starting quarterback job

I think the one of the freshmen is our best bet but JoePa starting a freshmen QB is about as likely as me nailing Salma Hayek.

Anyway, I'm not real optimistic about Newsome. Hope I'm wrong or we're screwed this year.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This year is a wash in my view.

We'll go 9-3 or 8-4 at best. Playing Bama, Ohio St, and Iowa on the road will be 3 losses. We have a lot of holes to fill, but have very talented young kids to do it. They just need time.

Next year though, we have a real shot at a good year. Those three teams I mentioned above will be home games.

With all that being said, I say (hope is more like it) we start Paul Jones this year, let him take lumps with them all, and then he'll be ready next year for Joe Pa's last legit push for a Big Ten title.

Threads : 6

I'll die and go to heaven if PSU beats Iowa in the next two years. Maybe it's the colors Iowa wears...lol

Threads : 29

The OL scares the **** out of me too. Shaky QB situation combined with questionable OL is not good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information