Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Source: Woodley likely to be free agent < Says ESPN

Updated: July 12, 2010, 3:55 PM ET
    Source: Woodley likely to be free agent
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5374264

By James Walker
    ESPN.com

Barring an unforeseen change of circumstances, a Pro Bowl linebacker could hit the free-agent market next season.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have decided not to give outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley a contract extension before the start of the 2010 season, a source told ESPN.com on Monday. Woodley is in the final year of his rookie deal and will make $550,000 this season, making him one of the NFL's best bargains.

It's extremely rare that the Steelers negotiate with players during the season, which means Woodley would be set to become a free agent next March. The source added that it's highly unlikely the Steelers would change their stance on Woodley between now and September. Pittsburgh is primarily focused on filling its right tackle position and could spend money there following the season-ending Achilles injury to Willie Colon.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Woodley is facing the same dilemma as a lot of NFL players seeking extensions this offseason. New rules during the uncapped year have made things complicated. The league's 30 percent rule, in particular, is the biggest hurdle.

By rule, Woodley could only make a maximum salary of $598,000 in 2010, which is a 30 percent increase over last season. The subsequent salaries could only go up 30 percent for the life of the contract. That means a substantial bulk of an extension would be put into bonuses, which the Steelers are not interested in at this time.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

A one-year franchise tag for Woodley also is a possibility, although there are no guarantees that the use of a franchise tag will be included in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Woodley, 25, has been one of the league's most dominant outside linebackers during his first two years as a starter. He has combined for 25 sacks in that span and made his first Pro Bowl last season.

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com

Default Re: Source: Woodley likely to be free agent < Says ESPN

Cole: Steelers With the Best LB Core in the NFL
    Posted by Matt Loede on July 12th, 2010 in Features, Opinions
    http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...he_NFL/2877132

Jason Cole at Yahoo Sports! has another ranking out, and this time it is the NFL’s LB’s, and at the very top of the list he has the Steelers:

[HIGH-LIGHT]1. Pittsburgh: With LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison, the Steelers have the best combination of accomplished pass rushers among 3-4 defenses in the NFL.[/HIGH-LIGHT] In fact, it’s not real close. The only team that could close the gap anytime soon is Dallas if Anthony Spencer improves. When you add in inside linebackers James Farrior and Lawrence Timmons (seven sacks last season), you have the best overall linebacking corps in the league by a pretty good margin. Dallas is really good, but the Steelers are special.

I have said more than once that I think Woodley and Harrison are the best in the business, and I think together they are going to have huge seasons in 2010. Farrior and Timmons on the inside are very good, and I will be interested to see what Larry Foote has left in the tank as he’s back as well. Overall, this is an accurate statement – this team has the best LB core in football.

Woodley likely to hit Free Agency

Woodley_tiny by GotWoodley? on Jul 12, 2010
    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...it-free-agency

Depending on how you read this, it could mean a number of things.

Are we in position to sign a potential Right Tackle replacement? It could certainly signal that we are not ready to go into the season with Trai Essex battling Tony Hills for the starting Tackle spot on the other side from Max Starks.

Depending on how that plays out within the next few weeks (hope its weeks), the contract signing could still be a possibilty, but because we are (according to the source) signalling our non-intentions to resign Woodley as of now, perhaps the FO is keeping their money options open.

Now my butthole begins to pucker up. Without underestimating the extent of Lamarr Woodleys character, what say if he hit the open market. Most NFL players will only get the big contract ONCE. Although I see Woodley as good enough to earn two lucrative long term contracts, this will in no doubt be in the back of his mind, and his families. Its all good to say you'll stay,etc, but come Free Agency, with the increasing number of teams switching to the 3-4 defense, dominant Outside Linebackers are becoming a premium. What happens when teams like Dallas, Miami, Washington etc wave a thick wad of benjamins in his face? Its one thing to talk about money, but when its there right in front of you in black and white, its harder to resist. The Steelers will pay and pay well, but we do not splash out like some other owners in the league (Looking at you Dan Snyder).

It makes no sense to me to risk letting him hit free agency, although I still in my heart know that Woodley would much rather return to the Steelers. Hes not a diva, he has shown all the credentials of being as outstanding citizen and team player, unlike a one Santonio Holmes, who a lot of us already had the feeling was going to leave in Free Agency anyway

Its probably not too much to worry about, but as you may have guessed, Woodley has been my favourite Steeler since his 08 season and postseason blitz, and this is news I really didnt need.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll re-post this here...
    ----------
    Wood-Be Gentleman
    LaMarr Woodley, profiled by Sean Conboy
    Pittsburgh Magazine / July 2010

Photo by Mike Fabus, Pittsburgh Steelers

It was midnight, and LaMarr Woodley was preparing for the graveyard shift. Just hours after the Pittsburgh Steelers had suffered a demoralizing, late-November overtime loss to the lowly Kansas City Chiefs, the team plane touched down at Pittsburgh International Airport.

All the players were stunned, shoe-gazing and more than ready to go home and sleep off the gut-punching loss. Everyone except for Woodley, the team’s 25-year-old star linebacker.

Wasting no time, Woodley tossed his suitcase into his SUV and tore up I-80 heading north. He drove for hours, winding around the cusp of Lake Erie until the black horizon turned purple. Finally, at the break of dawn, he reached the blighted manufacturing city of Saginaw, Mich., his hometown.

People were already lining up on the windswept front lawn of the Civitan Rec Center—the free gym where Woodley spent most of his childhood. Their faces lit up when they saw their hero, who was carrying bags of household items for the approaching Thanksgiving holiday. For three hours, Woodley and other volunteers gave out napkins, plates, forks, dish detergent and other essential items to more than 500 families.

[HIGH-LIGHT]“Win or lose, it’s important to put the game aside,” Woodley explains. “I made a commitment to the community that I would be there, so I had to fulfill that promise.”[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Twenty-four hours later, he was back in Pittsburgh handing out frozen turkeys at a recreation center in Hazelwood.

On the field, Woodley’s strongest asset is what pundits like to call his “motor.” Or, in non-gridiron speak, his heart. A first-time Pro Bowler in 2009, Woodley racked up 25 sacks in the past two seasons. Only four NFL players have more in that span. Yet the second-round draft pick from the University of Michigan makes less money than the backup goaltender of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Currently in the final year of his rookie contract, worth $550K this season, Woodley had every right to join in on the NFL’s hottest summer trend—holding out of training camp for a raise. The Tennessee Titans’ stud running back Chris Johnson did it. Even $100 million man Albert Haynesworth was a no-show at the Washington Redskins’ mini-camp because of hurt feelings over trade rumors.

But when the Steelers opened the doors of their South Side training facility for optional team workouts in May, there was Woodley, crushing tackling dummies in the pouring rain when he could have been at home relaxing on a “Dora the Explorer” marathon with his 2-year-old daughter, Gabrielle.

[HIGH-LIGHT]“If I miss workouts and training camp, I not only hurt myself, but I hurt the team,” he says. “I don’t want to fall behind because I’m worried about dollar signs.”[/HIGH-LIGHT]

At times, Woodley’s immense strength and anticipation on the field make him look like a man among boys. The same could be said about his humility and class in a league that has been sullied by tawdry Tweets, lavatorial lasciviousness and camera-phone preening. But at the Boys & Girls Club in Wilkinsburg, where Woodley also volunteers, he’s just one of the kids.

“I was there when LaMarr first showed up at the club, and it was like magic,” says Mike Hepler, president and CEO of the Boys & Girls Club of Western Pennsylvania. “He spent at least four hours playing ping-pong, basketball and pool with the kids. Later that day, I went downstairs where everyone was having snacks, and there was LaMarr eating a big bowl of tuna fish like all the other kids.”

But that’s not Hepler’s favorite Woodley story. When Woodley first arrived at the club, he was submerged in a sea of excited kids who were far from awe-struck, Hepler recalls. A little girl came running up to the 265-pound linebacker with her hand raised to the sky. “Mister LaMarr,” she said, “do you have a girlfriend?” Woodley disarmed her with his warm smile, but then it was the boys’ turn to grill him. “Mister LaMarr,” one kid piped up, “how much money do you make?”

Woodley thought about it for a few seconds, then said, “Enough.”

What a refreshing answer.

If there is one man who deserves mega-money from the Steelers, it’s Woodley. After all, he has a knack for paying it back in spades.

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pi...-Be-Gentleman/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is one signing they better get done, even if they have to break tradition and finish it during the season.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is one signing they better get done, even if they have to break tradition and finish it during the season.
    completely agree.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 29

Just waiting to see what happens with the labor talks.

Little to no chance they let him walk.

My 2 cents.

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post

My 2 cents.
    Agreed!!!!

Threads : 26

The franchise tag is the only fair option for both sides until a new labor contract is reached.Woody will not sign a contract with only a 30% increase which is the max allowed, and the Steelers will not cough up the difference with guaranteed money.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post

My 2 cents.
    This makes sense. Given Woodley's career to date and his potential, I'd want to lock him into a contract for a good long time but to do that without a labour deal in place could be problematic down the line.

I don't see him going anywhere but a deal won't be done for a while - it's sensible business practices.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 82

I don't know how this works but I have to think they will find a way to keep him around. He is a good guy and an even better player. Just the type that the steelers like. I know people are worried because they drafted all those linebackers but you can't replace him that easily.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To lose a 5th year guy going into his prime and maybe the top player at his position would be devastating.

Rest assured the NFL would surely award us a 6th round compensatory pick. Meanwhile, when some backup LB for the Pats signs somewhere it merits a 3rd...but I digress.

Get him signed or when the time comes tag him.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 60

He is a great linebacker that makes the rest of the defense better. We need this guy and I won't care what amount the Steelers payout, I want him signed. I wish all our number two picks were as good as him. I wish our number one picks were as good as him.

Threads : 440

REPORT: WOODLEY ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE

On Tuesday night's Total Access program, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora threw cold water on a recent ESPN report that (falsely?) indicated the Steelers aren't in any rush to re-sign contract-year linebacker LaMarr Woodley. The positivity of La Canfora's report was backed up by the Saginaw News on Tuesday.

According to La Canfora, re-signing Woodley remains the Steelers' "No. 1 priority." La Canfora added that he can envision "no scenario where Woodley is not" a Steeler in 2011, going so far as to predict the Steelers would franchise tag Woodley if such a designation is still available. La Canfora was adamant that Woodley isn't going anywhere.

The Saginaw News wasn't quite as strong, but directly disputes ESPN. According to the newspaper, the idea promoted in ESPN AFC North blogger James Walker's report "doesn't mean the Steelers won't sign Woodley to a new contract. Once the new collective bargaining agreement is in place, the Steelers are expected to sign Woodley to a multi-year contract."

Granted, no new CBA is imminent. Woodley could easily wind up playing out this season for his scheduled $550,000 salary, and making it to the winter of 2011 without a long-term contract in place. However, the latest reports on the organization's feelings about Woodley indicate that he's viewed by the Pittsburgh front office as a building block and potential career Steeler. Not someone the team is going to let get away.

*Courtesy: Profootballtalk.com

Threads : 3263

"REPORT: WOODLEY ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE"

..... I hope not. The man is a beast at his position, and needs to be signed.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information