Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Tomlin receives contract extension

Threads : 440

Default Steelers' Tomlin receives contract extension

Steelers' Tomlin receives contract extension

Tuesday, July 13, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have ended speculation about Mike Tomlin's status as their coach by coming to an agreement with him on a three-year contract extension, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Tomlin's new contract will carry him through 2014. His previous contract, signed when the Steelers hired him in '07, had one year and an option left. The five-year deal was worth an average of $2.5 million annually.

The Steelers have not yet announced Tomlin's new contract and financial terms were unavailable.

Steelers president Art Rooney, who negotiated the deal with his coach, is on vacation and could not be reached for comment.

In similar circumstances, Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, with two years left on his first deal, signed an entirely new five-year contract in February that reportedly will pay him an annual average of between $5.5 million and $6 million.

In the past when the Steelers extended the contract of former coach Bill Cowher, the terms of the original deal would remain in place and the new salary would not kick in until the new extended portion of the contract began.

Whisenhunt was a candidate to replace Cowher, who resigned as Steelers coach after the 2006 season. Instead, Whisenhunt took Arizona's offer to become the Cardinals' head coach and the Steelers hired Tomlin.

Whisenhunt and Tomlin received virtually identical contracts of four years and an option year that averaged $2.5 million annually.

If Tomlin, 38, and the Steelers followed suit and negotiated a comparable contract again, it would be the highest contract the team has paid its head coach. For that to happen, however, an entirely new contract would have had to be done and it does not appear to have happened.

Tomlin's record as coach is 31-17 in three regular seasons.

Since Cowher succeeded Chuck Noll as their coach in 1992, the Steelers traditionally extended his contract whenever there were two years remaining on his old deal. Sometimes the extension would be for two years, others for three.

They did that until the sides could not come to terms before the 2006 season and Cowher resigned with one year left on his deal.

Often, those contract extensions came well before the start of training camp, and as Tomlin's fourth camp at Saint Vincent College approached its July 30 start with no news on a contract extension, speculation took hold as to whether the Steelers even wanted to negotiate one.

Tomlin's 2009 team failed to defend its Super Bowl title when, after a 6-2 start, it lost five in a row and tumbled to 9-7.

There were reports shortly after the season that Tomlin would fire offensive coordinator Bruce Arians at the behest of the front office.

While Tomlin did fire several coaches, he kept Arians. Tomlin and Art Rooney denied there were any pressure to fire Arians.

There also has been speculation about football operations director Kevin Colbert's status because he is in the final year of his contract and because of persistent Internet reports that he would team up with Cowher as general manager of another NFL team. Cowher has not coached since 2006 and has worked as a studio host for CBS's "NFL Today" since the '07 season.

Colbert is expected to receive a new contract as well.

Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10194/10 ... z0tXGFnePK

Threads : 29

Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin receives contract extension

Heads are exploding all over Steeler Nation this morning.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heads are exploding all over Steeler Nation this morning.

Where are LVG and kinsar??

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let the games commence!
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 91

This is not good! For me?......I needed to see how he handled himself this year, I am not convinced he has what it takes. Last year was the worst display of Steeler coaching I can remember since I started following the Steelers in 1970. Last year was NOT Steeler football!

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am fine with it. I knew it was going to happen anyway. I am not 100% sold on Tomlin but I am leaning towards the idea that he will come correct. It will be fun to see the crying that is about to happen on this thread tho lol

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Default tomlin

signed to 3 yr deal?

Sports Logo

Default Re: tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    signed to 3 yr deal?
    oops.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Where are LVG and kinsar??

I'm not going to rain on everyone's parade today but lets see who is still applauding this move at the end of the year?

I didn't see the urgency in giving Tomlin a contract extension. This could have waited until the end of the year, he wasn't going anywhere, trust me. I guess their is money to be made when you take a Super Bowl team returning 20 of 22 starters and miss the playoffs . We also lost 5 games in a row to some of the worst teams in the league after telling the world you are going to unleash hell . You have failed to fire some of the worst assistants in the league, the team is in dissaray and you get a contract extension? WTF! .

Once again the Rooney's bowed down to public pressure and gave Tomlin an undeserved extension probably because he is black and Cowher was white. It would have looked real bad to the Jessie Jackson's and Al Sharpton's of the world if Tomlin was treated differently then Cowher.

I hope I am wrong but we have officially entered Steelers mediocre football.

Threads : 91

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    I'm not going to rain on everyone's parade today but lets see who is still applauding this move at the end of the year?

I didn't see the urgency in giving Tomlin a contract extension. This could have waited until the end of the year, he wasn't going anywhere, trust me. I guess their is money to be made when you take a Super Bowl team returning 20 of 22 starters and miss the playoffs . We also lost 5 games in a row to some of the worst teams in the league after telling the world you are going to unleash hell . You have failed to fire some of the worst assistants in the league, the team is in dissaray and you get a contract extension? WTF! .

Once again the Rooney's bowed down to public pressure and gave Tomlin an undeserved extension probably because he is black and Cowher was white. It would have looked real bad to the Jessie Jackson's and Al Sharpton's of the world if Tomlin was treated differently then Cowher.

Pretty hard to argue with a single word of that!

Sports Logo

politics had a play in it to begin with.but i dont know if will be mediocre just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Pretty hard to argue with a single word of that!
    Trust me, Les will. He will throw salt in my already open wound that appeared this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    politics had a play in it to begin with.but i dont know if will be mediocre just yet.
    Every year under Cowher there was positive energy and hope. Under Tomlin their are question marks and negativity.

Even the sports writers in Pittsburgh have no hope that he can take us to the playoffs again. That's sad when your local media has no faith in you and you still get a contract extension.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Every year under Cowher there was positive energy and hope. Under Tomlin their are question marks and negativity.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Even the sports writers in Pittsburgh have no hope that he can take us to the playoffs again[/HIGH-LIGHT]. That's sad when your local media has no faith in you and you still get a contract extension.
    To be fair, it can be argued that the writers in Pittsburgh are a bunch of emotionally stunted intellectual pygmies.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 122

I would of let him work the year for a new contract. If our offense still sucks under Arians and Tomlin chose to keep Arians, then bye to both.

I am not sold on Tomlin at all. Big talker - Little action.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information