Thread: Panthers gunning for 7-1 record

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Panthers gunning for 7-1 record

As of right now (1 min remaining in the 1st) Pitt is leading 7-0....
    -----------------------------

10/24/2009
    Panthers gunning for 7-1 record
    Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - The last time Pitt had a chance to be this good so late in a season, the Panthers were ranked No. 1 and Dan Marino was their quarterback.

That was 1982, so long ago that none of the current Panthers players was born.

As far as Pittsburgh coach Dave Wannstedt is concerned, it's been too long.

The No. 20 Panthers (6-1, 3-0 in Big East) can open a season 7-1 for the first time in 27 years, and stay atop the conference if they defeat South Florida (5-1, 1-1) today.

"You want to accomplish something that has never been done or something that hasn't been done in a long time," Wannstedt said. "So I think all those things are healthy things to talk about. Last week, with our seniors never having beaten Rutgers, we didn't put our heads down. Our guys took it the other way: We're going to get this done."

Getting them done against South Florida won't be easy.

The Bulls have won twice in three previous visits to Pittsburgh, and are coming off a 34-17 loss to Cincinnati that put them out of the Top 25. The loss created a sense of urgency to stop a losing streak.

"You have to move on. You've got to move forward," said South Florida coach Jim Leavitt, whose team's slide a year ago began with a 26-21 loss to Pitt. "The Big East is strong. You've got to be able to deal with things and move forward. If you can't, you're not ever going to have a shot."

One more loss, and the Bulls will be struggling to be among the Big East's top-tier teams.

"They're very similar to us," Pitt running back Dion Lewis said. "The style that they play. The talent they have, the athleticism. If you look at their (defensive front) four guys and compare them to our four, that would be the team that would come to mind first."

Lewis is one of college football's surprises, averaging 131 yards a game as a freshman, but getting that many yards against a South Florida defensive front led by defensive ends George Selvie and Jason Pierre-Paul will be tough. Selvie was an All-American two years ago and Pierre-Paul has 81/2 tackles for losses.

Still, LeSean McCoy ran for 142 yards and two scores against the Bulls last season, proving it is possible to run against them.

Now, Lewis, his replacement, needs 82 yards to reach the 1,000-yard mark after gaining 180 yards during a 24-17 victory against Rutgers last week.

"At the end of the game against Rutgers, you could see in their eyes they didn't want to play anymore," Lewis said. "As long as we keep pounding the ball, I believe we'll wear a team down."

Pitt's biggest worry probably is getting worn down by a difficult closing stretch. Four of the final five games are at home, but the Panthers still must play No. 8 Cincinnati, No. 20 West Virginia and Notre Dame.

Facing a similarly back-loaded schedule in 2006, Pitt was 6-1 but lost its final five games.

"This is a different football team, it's a different year," Wannstedt said. "Those things really have no bearing on what we're doing."

South Florida has a different quarterback than Pitt has seen, now that a knee injury has ended Matt Grothe's college career. Redshirt freshman B.J. Daniels took over three games ago and already leads the Bulls in passing (810 yards) and rushing (365 yards). He has thrown for seven touchdowns and run for four.

Pitt's only loss occurred when it couldn't shut down North Carolina State quarterback Russell Wilson, who threw for 322 yards and ran for 91 yards during a 38-31 victory on Sept. 26.

"We definitely have to keep him (Daniels) contained," Pitt defensive lineman Jabaal Sheard said. "We got in trouble with that against N.C. State and lost containment on Wilson, so we have to do a better job. He (Daniels) was a top prospect, and I watched him against Cincinnati - he can run and throw, so he'll be hard to stop."

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...ida-10-22-0747
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 58

Default Re: Panthers gunning for 7-1 record

14-7 PITT - 10:30 in second.

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pitt looks pretty solid today from what ive seen, i didnt think USF was that terrible of a team.

Tell you what.... Pitt looked **** good on this last drive.... Graham looked "unstoppable"...

21-7 now in the 2nd qtr...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pitt looks pretty solid today from what ive seen,[HIGH-LIGHT] i didnt think USF was that terrible of a team[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    Neither did I, but they lost to UC last week and aren't looking too good so far today... If Pitt keeps it up for the next several weeks, it's gonna make for a barnburner of a game Dec 5th against UC for the conference title.

31-7 going into the half.... They are definitely looking good!

Threads : 58

Get a PITT win today, a Pens win tonight and a Steelers win tomorrow. Cap off a great weekend for Pittsburgh fans.

Lewis is a freak of nature. That is all.

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    31-7 going into the half.... They are definitely looking good!
    Wow...a blowout. Pitt actually looks like they could be decent this season.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 197

Too bad they gave away that NC State game. Pitt and Cincinnati both have WVU and some mediocre teams on their conference schedule. If they both win out in the conference or play even, then December 5 is for a BCS berth. If they both win out completely they could likely both be top 10 teams going into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Too bad they gave away that NC State game. Pitt and Cincinnati both have WVU and some mediocre teams on their conference schedule. If they both win out in the conference or play even, then December 5 is for a BCS berth. If they both win out completely they could likely both be top 10 teams going into the game.
    I really see no way Pitt will be top-10 even if they win out until that game... Just too many teams in their way and too far to climb... But it will be a helluva game, and will definitely be for a BCS bowl... Most likely the Orange Bowl in my opinion... But as much as I like Pitt, I really don't see them beating Cincinnati... I would LIKE to see it, though.

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I really see no way Pitt will be top-10 even if they win out until that game... Just too many teams in their way and too far to climb... But it will be a helluva game, and will definitely be for a BCS bowl... Most likely the Orange Bowl in my opinion... But as much as I like Pitt, I really don't see them beating Cincinnati... I would LIKE to see it, though.
    I have a hard time seeing them beat a tough Cincy team too...
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 85

pitt can beat cincy, they have the running game for it, Stull just has to keep is brain on and make smart passes, and for the love of god dont throw the ball away out of the endzone on 4th down

41-14 with an "oh by the way" TD by S. Fla with 10 seconds left in the game...

Syracuse next, then finishing with Notre Dame, WVU, and UC...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information