Thread: George Steinbrenner Dead of Massive Heart Attack

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default George Steinbrenner Dead of Massive Heart Attack

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: George Steinbrenner Dead of Massive Heart Attack

I thought about this and:

I am not going to give any false feelings to say that I am sad about this. The guy has destroyed over half of MLB teams.

His son's are the same way.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 29

I had that baseball card when I was a younger.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought about this and:

I am not going to give any false feelings to say that I am sad about this. The guy has destroyed over half of MLB teams.

His son's are the same way.
    My thoughts and feelings too. Buccoray should give a nice rant on this that I'll probably frame and put on my wall

When i heard about this on the news this morning I practically yelled "SWEET". Steinbrenner and Selig who reinstated this pile of **** have ruined baseball for more than half of the league with escalating salaries, no caps or decent economic structure for mid and small market teams to compete annually. As soon as Selig reinstated Steinbrenner, player salaries escalated and the Yankees went from nobodies in the 80's when there was good competitive balance (look at the world series winners) to annual world series winners and a power house in the 90's and 00's with their $200 million payrolls and hording the best players from other teams because they had driven prices up so far to where only a few could afford the best players.

So..... **** George Steinbrenner. His son Hank can go **** himself as well and Bud Selig can follow George and I'll likely yell "SWEET" agaio
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 24

Wish the Pirates had an owner like him. I can't say I liked the guy, or that he acted admirably a lot of the time, but he had a passion to win. He took the best brand name in baseball, resurrected it, and made it even better...

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Like him or hate him, I think it's safe to say that there's not many baseball fans who wouldn't have wanted him as the owner of their team.

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    My thoughts and feelings too. Buccoray should give a nice rant on this that I'll probably frame and put on my wall

When i heard about this on the news this morning I practically yelled "SWEET". Steinbrenner and Selig who reinstated this pile of **** have ruined baseball for more than half of the league with escalating salaries, no caps or decent economic structure for mid and small market teams to compete annually. As soon as Selig reinstated Steinbrenner, player salaries escalated and the Yankees went from nobodies in the 80's when there was good competitive balance (look at the world series winners) to annual world series winners and a power house in the 90's and 00's with their $200 million payrolls and hording the best players from other teams because they had driven prices up so far to where only a few could afford the best players.

So..... **** George Steinbrenner. His son Hank can go **** himself as well and Bud Selig can follow George and I'll likely yell "SWEET" agaio
    Honestly Steinbrenner being banned was probably the best thing that happened for the Yankees and things likely wouldn't have gone any differently if he wasn't reinstated. Through the 80s Steinbrenner ran the team horribly, constantly trying to acquire aging veterans who went on to do next to nothing to help the team. During the time he was gone his son took control of the team and basically left everything up to the actual baseball people. When George came back they were able to convince him to take on the same role his son did and leave everything up to the baseball people who wanted to hang onto their young players and build the farm system. If Steinbrenner's there straight through and running the team the same way he did before he likely trades Jeter, Rivera, Williams, Posada, etc. before they have a chance to get established. Since he was brought back in 1993 he's been more of a public figure than an actual decision maker with the team.

Threads : 3263

Either way, sad to see another death... Like him or hate him, he did good by his own team...

... jnn123 ... Don't forget that THIS Saturday is our Pirate outing...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 20

I refuse to be celebratory over his death.

Did his "I'll flash the trump card every time" **** the landscape of baseball? By all means. There's such a lack of competitive balance in baseball now it's not even funny, but let's all be realistic. If it was the Pirates doing this, we'd all be doing headstands. George shouldn't be penalized for having the resources to spend, should one day the Pirates be so lucky. If anything, blame the system for allowing it to happen.

This guy was a hardass to work for, but he also THRIVED for success and made **** sure that success was reached. He never let anything get in the way of that success happening. Again, one day should the Pirates be so lucky to have an owner like this.

George Steinbrenner was the King of New York City. There's no one who can even come close to holding a torch to the legacy this guy set.

While I won't be as idiotic as some of the schmucks on ESPN who are claiming this guy was bigger than The Babe, he certainly leaves behind his own legacy. Where Babe, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle built the legacy, George Steinbrenner redefined it.

Rest in Peace.
    Listen Live, Every Thursday Night at 10 PM Eastern Time

Hidden Content (in progress)

Hidden Content

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Traynor View Post
    I refuse to be celebratory over his death.

Rest in Peace.
    Agreed.... Thank you....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with bdeff - Steinbrenner represents everything that is wrong with the MLB and of all the major league sports, the MLB is the only sport that is truly and wholly broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    I agree with bdeff - Steinbrenner represents everything that is wrong with the MLB and of all the major league sports, the MLB is the only sport that is truly and wholly broken.
    Ok, I am a Phillies fan, Here's my two cents worth:

As I sat last year at a Bucs/Rockies game next to a nice family of four and the father and family who were struggling with layoffs etc...sadly said,

"the only reason we are at the game tonight is we got free tickets. At this point I just can't bring myself to spend good money on a team that can't compete. If they are going to have 1/4 the payroll of the Yankees why can't I get tickets for 4$ and park for 3$?
    Why should I pay about the same money to see a product that isn't meant to win?"

Then he said something that really hit me. His father was a huge Pirates fan for 50 years. He said it broke his father's heart to see the team he loved and took so much pride in become an afterthought. For the last two years of h is life (2004-06 ..i think) his father wouldn't even turn on the games.... Thanks to the Yankees, IE Steinbrenner.

How many kids in and around Pittsburgh are growing up indifferent to a once proud franchise, directly because of Steinbrenner?

Sorry I consider myself to be very compassionate and not a hard ***. (I regularly shed a tear during a movie like Rudy) but I feel no sympathy for the passing of Steinbrenner. He was a billionaire, born into wealth and privilege and he has basically wrecked my favorite sport.

Each time I turn on FSN Pittsburgh (if the phils aren't on) say on a Wednesday evening in July on a gorgous 75 degree evening and a beautiful setting sun over that incredible view and I see 8000 people at the game, I always say, "Thanks George!"

Directly because of Steinbrenner how?

The man made money by spending money.. When was the last time you EVER heard of George Steinbrenner letting money get in the way of his plans? Also, isn't penny pinching exactly what Pirate fans crucify Bob Nutting for doing, as they did with McClatchey, and every owner of this team since the '80s?

Let's be honest, if the Pirates had an owner with HALF of this mentality, this franchise WOULD be what you, I and all emotionally involved think it could be.

Is the system flawed? Hell yes.. Is Steinbrenner the cause of those flaws? No. He's was the benefactor of them.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Traynor View Post
    Directly because of Steinbrenner how?

The man made money by spending money.. When was the last time you EVER heard of George Steinbrenner letting money get in the way of his plans? Also, isn't penny pinching exactly what Pirate fans crucify Bob Nutting for doing, as they did with McClatchey, and every owner of this team since the '80s?

Let's be honest, if the Pirates had an owner with HALF of this mentality, this franchise WOULD be what you, I and all emotionally involved think it could be.

Is the system flawed? Hell yes.. Is Steinbrenner the cause of those flaws? No. He's was the benefactor of them.
    I will just have to politely say I respect your opinion, but with his YES network he is able to spend at a level no other team can.

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    I will just have to politely say I respect your opinion, but with his YES network he is able to spend at a level no other team can.
    Thanks man, I respect a positive debate and also appreciate the respect you have for my opinion.

Thing is, Steinbrenner funded YES... It was the spend money to make money approach that got him where he is.

Trust me when I tell you, saying baseball needs equal balance is an argument I'm also passionate about. I want to live to see a day where the Pittsburghs and Kansas Citys can compete financially with the New Yorks and Bostons.

Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information