Thread: Townsend prepares for life after football

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Townsend prepares for life after football

Townsend prepares for life after football
    By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010

[IMGR]http://i29.tinypic.com/mm8jtu.jpg[/IMGR]Veteran cornerback Deshea Townsend hasn't given up hope of returning to the Steelers in 2010.

Townsend, who turns 35 in September, was surprised when he wasn't retained for the upcoming season.

"I did kind of expect to be back, just to add some depth at the position," he said. "They know there's a player out there they don't really have to teach the system, that can come in and play."

Townsend, a fourth-round draft pick from Alabama who played 12 seasons with the Steelers, lost his starting job when he was converted to nickel back after the emergence of William Gay.

Since then, the Steelers have selected three cornerbacks in the past two drafts. They also reacquired former starter Bryant McFadden.

Those moves resulted in Townsend the oldest cornerback on the roster not being invited to return.

Townsend said he wouldn't mind playing for the Steelers again or any other team.

He started the final two games in 2009, grabbing an interception in the final game against Miami.

"Pittsburgh is home. You always want to be where you started," said Townsend, who has been working out with speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw in Florida. "If something happens in training camp ... maybe. My agent said just stay in shape. I had some conversations (with teams). There's always going to be a need for a corner somewhere."

Townsend realizes he may have played his final NFL game. He said he's comfortable knowing he may have to get on with the rest of his life.

"I've always looked at the entire picture, understanding this game is not going to last forever. It's always been a business for me," Townsend said.

"I want to play one or two more years. But if it doesn't happen, I have a lot of other stuff going on with health care and doing a lot of work with my foundation."

Townsend developed a foundation that helps children who do not have health insurance and sponsors events that work with preventive care.

Townsend would like to remain connected with the Steelers. He said his extensive playing experience has prepared him for a scouting or front-office position.

Townsend's coaches considered him a coach on the field because of his ability to decipher the entire defense.

"I've always been the type of player when a young guy comes in, I try to give him everything I know to help make him a better player," Townsend said. "That's the same thing our coaches do. That could be a natural move for me."

While the possibility of becoming a coach appeals to Townsend, he has loftier goals.

"My ultimate goal is it would be great to be the next Kevin Colbert," said Townsend, referring to the Steelers' director of football operations who's in charge of personnel decisions.

"To be like Kevin, to be like (Baltimore's) Ozzie Newsome, a general manager who understands what type of players teams need and go out and find them."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_690141.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Default Re: Townsend prepares for life after football

i really appreciated that we had deshea on the team and always thought he did not receive enough praise or credit for his play. the guy played smart and I really don't recall anyone torching him or winning over him in a game. i would love that all our corners were as good as him.

he wore rods old number and i never looked at him and said or thought, this guy is tarnishing rods number or this guy doesn't deserve his number.

i wish him well

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks Deshea for all your years of service to our Steelers.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks for finally putting an end to the nightmarish combo of Dewayne Washington and Chad Scott. For that I will always appreciate him

Not to mention the INT return vs. the Cowboys late in 2008!!!
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for finally putting an end to the nightmarish combo of Dewayne Washington and Chad Scott. For that I will always appreciate him

I agree and the suffering we went through and he must have gone trough watching those guys on the field while he sat the bench.

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Best play of the 08 regular season.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information