Thread: Bad decisions leave two Big-12 QBs draft prospects dwindling

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bad decisions leave two Big-12 QBs draft prospects dwindling

Bad decisions leave two Big-12 QBs draft prospects dwindling
    by
    BigBen2112

When Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford chose to return to school last year instead of taking their games to the professional circuit, the media and fans were ecstatic about the prospects of more big-time showdowns and marquis bowl-game appearances for the Big-12. Instead, they have seen Sam Bradford endure two significant shoulder injuries that have cost him most of the season, and Colt McCoy fall from star to mediocrity quickly. Indeed, the fans have not only witnessed performances that have failed to live up to expectations, but they have also watched the draft prospects of these two young men plummet.

Samuel Bradford was the quarterback on the rise who vaulted himself to the top of the quarterback draft class in 2009 with a Heisman Trophy season where he threw 50 TDs and only 8 interceptions on his way to 4700+ passing yards. His future looked bright and he legitimately was looked at as a kid who could challenge for the #1 overall pick of the Detroit Lions--and in many minds would have dethroned Matthew Stafford and successfully gone number one overall. However, he made the brave choice to stay in school and have a shot at a national championship--or so he thought. The choice was debated but explained by some since the kid was only a sophomore after all and with another successful year would guarantee his status as the #1 pick in 2010. Thus, the 2010 started with hope and anticipation for a young man with poise, skill, and a big-play mentality. It has ended with anything but fulfillment of his hopes and dreams.

In the first game of the season against Brigham Young University the Oklahoma Sooners not only flopped in the game, but lost their star quarterback upon whom the season was riding. Bradford was dealt a major blow to his shoulder that resulted in an injury that would force him to miss the next three contests. The Sooners season essentially ended on the 5th of September as they would go on to lose once more before Bradford's triumphal return against Baylor on the 10th of October. Bradford really wasn't himself in that game, though. He only completed 55% of his passes and wound up with a sub 130-QB rating. Anticipation was again high as the Red River Rivalry was next on the schedule for Bradford. Again, anticipation would lead to let-down as Bradford was again injured in the biggest game of the year for the Sooners--which ended up being their 3rd loss of the season. However, the true loss for the Sooners was the loss of Bradford--this time for the season. After his second shoulder injury in just over a month, Sam Bradford watched his season end as the announcement was made on October 21 that he would have season-ending shoulder surgery. A season of hype and anticipation dissipated into injury, failure, and allowed other QBs to climb the summit to the top of the QB-class.

Colt McCoy has a similar story. He decided to return to Texas after a junior season that was by far his best and propelled him into first round territory. McCoy had gone from average to elite in the matter of one NCAA season and had an opportunity to bank on his achievement. Instead, the student-athlete chose to stay in school one more year--a decision that would lead to the reemergence of his mediocrity.

Colt McCoy had always been more hype than performance. He came to college amidst hype and started as a freshman. He performed somewhat admirably for such a young and inexperienced player as he completed almost 70% of his passes and had 29 TDs to 7 INTs and a 161-QB rating. The next season even more hype surrounded him after a good, if unspectacular, freshman campaign. He proceeded to flop. He completely 65% of his passes--still a pretty good number--but only had 22 TDs to 18 INTs and his QB rating fell to a very mediocre 139. Similarly, McCoy rebounded in his junior season for his best season as a collegiate athlete--76% completion percentage, 34 TDs, 8 INTs, and a 173-QB percentage. Whether it was hubris or simply a desire to stay in school, his decision to come back for his senior year after having completed such a sensational junior year again has yielded less than stellar results. McCoy has returned to mediocrity as his QB-rating is the worst of his collegiate career. He is still completing a high percentage of his passes, but has watched in TD to INT ratio fall from 4.25:1 to 1.57:1 and his QB-rating fall from 173 to 137. There is plenty of season left of McCoy to rebound and at least save some of his draft status, but as with Bradford, much of the damage has been done in the form of allowing other QB's to jump him in the draft class.

The biggest problem when athletes have sensational, career years in college and fail to come out and equal that performance the next year is that they lose much of the hype around them that can prove to make them a lot of money. Some college athletes are fine with this as they truly care more about the collegiate experience than making the most money off their athletic ability. Others, simply do not foresee the unforeseeable and in the end cost themselves a great-deal. This is the case with Bradford. Sam Bradford had risen to the top of the 2009 draft class eligible QBs and instead of capitalizing on the opportunity chose to return to school and has seen his stock plummet. Likewise, McCoy chose not to capitalize on a career year and has watched himself fall to the ranks of the average yet again. This has allowed other QB prospects like Jimmy Clausen, Jake Locker, Tony Pike, and Ryan Mallet to bridge the gap and overtake the two Big-12 QBs.

Analysis of mock draft sites by DraftDebacle.com which calculated the average draft position of the 2010 draft prospects, shows that Jimmy Clausen has overtaken Bradford as the #1 QB in the draft class with an overall average of 3.0 compared to Bradford's 5.6 (and this was pre-surgery announcement). Jake Locker of Washington comes in 3rd with 8.7 and likely can/will overtake Bradford now that he will have surgery. Tim Tebow comes in 4th (mostly because people believe--as do I--that the Jaguars will mistakingly choose Tebow in the 1st so they can garner more season ticket sales) with a 19.5. Furthermore, Colt McCoy has fallen all the way to 35.5 average draft position and Tony Pike has arisen to 43.3 average with Ryan Mallett averaging 48.1. (for full breakdown of the average position visit: http://draftdebacled.com/DraftProspects.aspx)While, average mock-draft position certainly does not mean that a player is going to go there, it does represent a general trend away from publicity on one player to others, which in the end can certainly hurt the draft stock of a player.

To me, I still think that Sam Bradford is probably one of the top 2 QBs in this draft class. However, last year he was likely the #1 QB out of the draft class. His injury has called into question whether he is physically advanced enough to be ready for the NFL. Meanwhile, Jimmy Clausen has put together a very good junior season--and likely will not make the same mistake as McCoy and will capitalize on this season--with 14 TDs to only 2 INTs as well as a 9.45 YPA average. Furthermore, as far as NFL evaluation of tape goes, Jimmy Clausen has some almost 900 attempts in a pro-style offense at Notre Dame. Now, let it be known that Jimmy Clausen still has his faults--his completion percentage as a career number is terrible--but one good season can be all it takes to boost one to the top, just ask JaMarcus Russell. Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy took chances and hopefully they have enjoyed the college experience, because their draft stocks have taken a hard-hit due to their poor decisions to not capitalize on their 2009 seasons. Both players will be able to help themselves with good offseason and pre-draft workouts, but the hype and momentum lost will be hard to regain.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bad decisions leave two Big-12 QBs draft prospects dwindling

Did you really write this?.... If so, for which blog?
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you really write this?.... If so, for which blog?
    I wrote all of this...exclusively for the PST. Although I have been offered, yet again, 2 more positions this year...
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Very impressive, brother... Very impressive... [tips hat]

.... And thank you for sharing your views in this manner. At this rate, we might have to start a stickied thread with only posts like this from you covering the various postitions, players, and teams... We could lock it from others posting (they could post comments in another thread) so that it is a "pure information" type thread where you cover all the aspects... Maybe break it down by position, or various college teams, etc...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very impressive, brother... Very impressive... [tips hat]

.... And thank you for sharing your views in this manner. At this rate, we might have to start a stickied thread with only posts like this from you covering the various postitions, players, and teams... We could lock it from others posting (they could post comments in another thread) so that it is a "pure information" type thread where you cover all the aspects... Maybe break it down by position, or various college teams, etc...
    Whatever people want to read.

ALSO...when it is closer to the draft I will provide some exclusive interviews. Last year I think I had like 5-7 exclusive interviews with draft prospects.
    Hidden Content

See... As long as "I" want to read it, it's golden and will get stickied... ... j/k

... Seriously though, this is really good stuff. Thanx for posting it. We can do this stuff if you want... I see it as an opportunity for you to post your opinions in this fashion, and us to read it for knowledge into the draft.

Threads : 215

Good stuff!

Mel Kiper has caught on...saying that McCoy is a 2nd rounder.
    Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information