Thread: Fluery vs Broduer

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Fluery vs Broduer

http://www.penguinpoop.com/2009/fleu...nt-of-brodeur/

Fleury could better Brodeur’s pace, in front of Brodeur
    By Phil Krundle Phil Krundle
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:11 am

If your going to compare yourself to a goaltender, you might as well compare yourself to the best in the NHL. As luck would have it, this Saturday when the Penguins play Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils, Marc-André Fleury will have a chance to bypass the pace that Brodeur has set on his way to most wins in NHL history for a goaltender.

When Brodeur turned 25 he had 119 wins under his belt on his way to the 562 wins he currently owns which is the most by any goaltender ever in the NHL. Fleury right now is 24 years old and currently has 119 wins. With one more win before November 28th of this year (Fleury’s 25th birthday), Fleury would be on pace to break Brodeur’s record. If Fleury doesn’t get the win this Saturday, he will have sixteen more attempts to get that win including a game on his 25th birthday against the NY Rangers.

By his 25th birthday, Brodeur had already won his first of 3 Stanley cups and had 29 playoff wins. Now he needs to play only 23 more games to pass up Patrick Roy’s most games ever played by a goaltender, 1029. At 24 years of age Fleury has won a Stanley Cup, has 31 playoff wins and already has 8 more games played at the same age as Brodeur.

The 2010 Canadian Olympic team has invited Marc-André Fleury, Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo (Vancouver), Steve Mason (Columbus), Cam Ward (Carolina) to their tryouts. Geniuses like Allen Muir from Sports Illustrated think that Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo and Steve Mason should be the goaltenders for Canada. Marc-André Fleury is leading all 5 invitees in wins, save percentage and in goals against average He also just won a Stanley Cup, and was in his second trip to the finals in two years. He knows how to win.

Fleury shouldn’t just be invited to play, he should be Canada’s number one goaltender. Four years ago the Canadians didn’t invite Sidney Crosby to play on their Olympic team and they finished 7th overall. Their worst finish ever in the Olympics. Crosby finished that season (his rookie season) with 102 points, 6th best in the NHL.

The goaltenders for the Canadian Team’s worst ever finish in 2006 were Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo and Marty Turco.

Default Re: Fluery vs Broduer

And I misspell both of their names lol.

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I misspell both of their names lol.
    you got the old "eu" french thing backwards,

Brodeur is a HOF goalie legend. They may be close to even now but MAF has a ways to go before catching up to Brodeurs career. Brodeur handles the puck much better and is one of the reasons the trapezoid exists.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post

Brodeur is a HOF goalie legend. They may be close to even now but MAF has a ways to go before catching up to Brodeurs career. Brodeur handles the puck much better and is one of the reasons the trapezoid exists.
    Agreed.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

going to be tough to near impossible for Fleury to catch Brodeur's records or status.

for one, the Devils played a strict defensive trap system for most of Brodeur's career that really helped him out with those numbers. The Devils were extremely successful as a trapping team.

This goes with the other point but Brodeur's prime and what not occurred during the clutch and grab, lack of offense era of the NHL that helped prompt the strike and rule changes to open up the game.

Those things really helped Brodeur. I'm not taking away his accomplishments entirely, he's a great goalie but he was helped along the way IMO.

Same can be said for guys liek Mario and Gretzky as well. The defenses and goalies they played against were dreadfully bad. I mean all you have to do is watch some of their goal highlights videos on youtube to see some of these goalies coming out 10 feet to challenge them and getting beaten badly or having little to no ability to move side to side. Players may have been tougher and meaner back then but defensively players weren't as good and systems weren't as key as they are now.

Threads : 58

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post

I agree on that.

Plus, a good bit of it is going to depend on what our defense continues to look like in front of Fleury. It's an obvious statement and I'm by no means taking anything away from Brodeur, but he has played in an organization that has stressed a defensive-minded game during his career and has had some **** good defensemen playing in front of him over the years. Daneyko, Niedermayer, Rafalski and Stevens to name a few.

sjdrewk

Funny what winning the cup does to the perception of a Goalie. A year ago some of us(and not calling out anyone) said he sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Funny what winning the cup does to the perception of a Goalie. A year ago some of us(and not calling out anyone) said he sucked.
    Not me!

MAF can be a frustrating player to be a fan of. He is very streaky. He won the big one now so I would imagine he will get the benefit of the doubt when the situation arises again.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Not me!

MAF can be a frustrating player to be a fan of. He is very streaky. He won the big one now so I would imagine he will get the benefit of the doubt when the situation arises again.
    With this crowd here, MAF should get about a 1st period worth of the benefit of the doubt!lol

With this crowd here, MAF should get about a 1st period worth of the benefit of the doubt!lol
    Can't believe that bum let NJ hang 4 on him, Johnson should start

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have always been in Fleury's corner..........

Nah...nevermind.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information