Thread: Pouncey Denies Allegations

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pouncey Denies Allegations

Pouncey denies allegations he took money

By The Associated Press
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010
    Last updated: 4:39 pm

GAINESVILLE, Fla. Former Florida Gators standout Maurkice Pouncey denied allegations today that he took money from a representative of a sports agent while he was still at the university.

"I did not accept $100,000, it is an absolutely ridiculous claim. I have completely cooperated with the investigation and answered any and all questions put to me," Pouncey said in a statement released through his Gainesville attorney, M. Stephen Stanfield.

The offensive lineman was selected 18th overall by the Steelers in this year's NFL Draft.

Florida and the NCAA are investigating an allegation that Pouncey was paid $100,000 between the Southeastern Conference title game and the Sugar Bowl last season, ESPN.com reported earlier this week.

Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley has said the university became aware of the allegation in early June. He said the school reported the information to the NCAA, the SEC and the university's police department.

Pouncey's agent is Joel Segal, but the allegation is not necessarily tied to him. If the allegation is proven true, however, Pouncey could be ruled ineligible for the Sugar Bowl game and Florida might have to vacate that victory over Cincinnati among other potential penalties.

The investigation is one in series lately involving sports agent-related inquiries in college football.

North Carolina announced last week that the NCAA is investigating its football program. The NCAA is looking into a possible rules violation involving South Carolina tight end Weslye Saunders.

And Alabama coach Nick Saban told ESPN.com that university compliance officials are trying to determine if defensive end Marcell Dareus violated NCAA rules by attending an agent's party in Florida.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pouncey Denies Allegations

I wouldn't think that Pouncey would have accepted any money from an agent prior to finishing his college career, he comes across as being smarter than that. Maybe a verbal agreement was reached with a different agent at that time and Pouncey ultimately changed his mind and went with Seagle and now the Guy is looking for payback.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pouncey Denies Allegations

I so hope Pouncey is proven to be an upright good guy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information