Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace Will Have a Better Year Than Santonio Holmes

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Mike Wallace Will Have a Better Year Than Santonio Holmes

Mike Wallace Will Have a Better Year Than Santonio Holmes
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...the-afc#page/4

Santonio Holmes was a Super Bowl MVP and the Steelers' leading receiver in two of the last three seasons.

Mike Wallace was a third round pick out of Mississippi in 2009 and burst onto the scene with little fanfare to go with his 756 yards and six touchdowns as a rookie.

While many would argue that the attention Holmes and Ward drew away from the rookie allowed him to get open as often as he did, others would point out that Wallace is far superior than Holmes was at this point in his career.

In fact, during the 2009 season, Wallace was often so fast that he was under thrown on deep balls that cost him yards and touchdowns.

The Steelers obviously thought highly enough of Wallace’s abilities to rid themselves of Holmes’ off the field headaches by trading him to the Jets in 2009 for as little as a fifth round pick.

Holmes will no longer have the high-powered passing attack of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the arm of Ben Roethlisberger to depend on with the Jets. His addition to the Jets offense will help them, but Mark Sanchez is certainly not going to throw the ball 40 times a game in New York.

The increase in chances for Wallace with Holmes gone should not only allow him to break the 1,000 yard mark in his sophomore season, but also increase on his touchdown totals as well.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mike Wallace Will Have a Better Year Than Santonio Holmes

Wallace also enjoyed limited coverage when Hines and Holmes were on the field.

Let's see how he does as the #2 guy before we elect him into the HOF.

Threads : 60

It's tough being thee guy. As happy as I am with Wallace I think he won't be able to live up to our expectations, at least not this season. Holmes wasn't no turtle either in my opinion. He had the quicks about him and was able to manuever very well. Some of those guys that can only run fast and straight can't always be the go to guy during crunch time. With Holmes we had the best of both worlds. Maybe Wallace can be it all but, I'm just not ready to crown him king yet. Remember when Gay became a starter ?

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's tough being thee guy. As happy as I am with Wallace I think he won't be able to live up to our expectations, at least not this season. Holmes wasn't no turtle either in my opinion. He had the quicks about him and was able to manuever very well. Some of those guys that can only run fast and straight can't always be the go to guy during crunch time. With Holmes we had the best of both worlds. Maybe Wallace can be it all but, I'm just not ready to crown him king yet. Remember when Gay became a starter ?
    Well I guess I don't need to post here. I agree with all of this. And what happens when old man Ward has to sit out a game or two yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Well I guess I don't need to post here. I agree with all of this. And what happens when old man Ward has to sit out a game or two yikes!
    Bingo!

And if and when that happens, we'll see how well Wallace plays.

Now I'm not suggesting he won't play well - I think he will, but remember, he's still fairly young and underdeveloped. He's not a seasoned veteran and I expect that in time he will probably become a stud player, but it doesn't happen overnight.

Threads : 3263

Time will tell... If/when Ward has to take a knee for a game or two, then we shall see... But if they double-up on Wallace, then someone else should be open... In that regard, it comes down to the quality of depth at the position... Hell, it's too hard to even speculate at this point since camp hasn't even started.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Time will tell... If/when Ward has to take a knee for a game or two, then we shall see... But if they double-up on Wallace, then someone else should be open... In that regard, it comes down to the quality of depth at the position... Hell, it's too hard to even speculate at this point since camp hasn't even started.
    And that someone else is...

And that's the danger of losing a guy like Holmes. I'm not sure I'm thrilled at having Wallace and El as our two starting WR's if Ward pulls another hamstring as he is oft to do lately.

We have to hope Ward has a fairly injury free year and that might be a big prayer to answer.

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    And that someone else is...
    If not ARE, then Miller, or maybe Battle.... That's just it.... At this point, it could go either way, and we don't know for sure how it would play out till we see some action on the field...

... Who knows... Brown, Grisham, London, Sanders, or Williams could prove to be huge... I honestly don't know.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    If not ARE, then Miller, or maybe Battle.... That's just it.... At this point, it could go either way, and we don't know for sure how it would play out till we see some action on the field...

... Who knows... Brown, Grisham, London, Sanders, or Williams could prove to be huge... I honestly don't know.
    If Ward can stay healthy during Ben's absence, then things might not be so bad in the long run. Ben might be able to pick up some slack with the noobs if Ward needs to take a break.

If Ward goes down early, God bless us.

Threads : 60

During camp if they see there is a weakness or lack of development with the younger guys, what is the chance that the Steelers find a veteran ?

BTW, I was watching the detective show Physc tonight and the white guy interduced the black guy as Santonio Holmes. See, Santonio is a well known receiver. If you ever watch the show the white guy never calls the black guy his correct name.

Question for you guys, what does that say about our team or front office that they let Santonio go ? I mean he was really coming into his own, Super Bowl MVP and we released him. I know there were problems with the off field stuff and he was barking about big money. What is your take on this and how many teams would have done the same ?

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    During camp if they see there is a weakness or lack of development with the younger guys, what is the chance that the Steelers find a veteran ?

BTW, I was watching the detective show Physc tonight and the white guy interduced the black guy as Santonio Holmes. See, Santonio is a well known receiver. If you ever watch the show the white guy never calls the black guy his correct name.

Question for you guys, what does that say about our team or front office that they let Santonio go ? I mean he was really coming into his own, Super Bowl MVP and we released him. I know there were problems with the off field stuff and he was barking about big money. What is your take on this and how many teams would have done the same ?
    Well I think they were planning on letting him go to free agency anyway and thought they could use him as an example. I think othe teams would have done the same if it fit within their business plans. Actually scratch that about example, make that pr move. Noone is fooled by it tho so what's the point? It will come back to haunt us unless karma decides to attack ny instead.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was never high on Holmes to begin with so based on my personal feelings and opinion of Holmes, I think that Wallace can get the job done. If he gets doubled or has bigger issues with separation that's going to let Randel El be more open. Randel El's presence itself might help Wallace because he won't get ignored as often as a #3 would or like Wallace did last year.

I dunno. Holmes ****ed me off. The guy had talent but he was far too inconsistent and would disappear way too often as well. the one thing the Steelers seem to do is replace Wide Recievers so I'm not worried. I'm not expecting a huge season for Wallace but I think he'll hold enough of his own to have a pretty good season. He should end up with a YPC that would make a stats geek cream themselves
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wallace seems like a Guy who puts his work in and is a team Guy. I don't see his performance dropping off, because I recall him running routs very well in camp. I'd like to see him bulk up about 10 lbs though to get through the jams from the bigger CB's he is gonna be going up against.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 0

Its going to be a different game for Wallace this year I think. Along with what the others have said, I also think that his speed on the deep routes can be wasted if the QBs underthrow the deep balls to him, which sure happens a ton.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joeyhurricane View Post
    Its going to be a different game for Wallace this year I think. Along with what the others have said, I also think that his speed on the deep routes can be wasted if the QBs underthrow the deep balls to him, which sure happens a ton.
    It would also help too if Ben didn't wait so long and stretch what is probably designed to be a 20 yard pass into 30 yards or more. Ben loves the long ball but **** if he doesn't try to heev some passes that most QB's can't make with accuracy either
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information