Thread: Altoona enduring six game losing streak

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Altoona enduring six game losing streak

The Altoona Curve are attempting their best Pittsburgh Pirates impression during their recent, and still continuing, six game losing streak. Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong for the Curve, who still lead the division by 5 games.

Altoona's pitching has fallen flat and really has been abused lately. First by Akron and now by Trenton. It is not the relievers or fringe players, but its the Altoona-Three (the big names of Rudy Owens, Justin Wilson, and Bryan Morris) who have let the Curve down. As recently as last night Justin Wilson had easily his worst outing of the year as he only went 2.1 innings giving up 3 hits, 3 ER, and 6 walks. And it is not just one of the Three who have struggled, but all Three have yielded less than their usual stellar results. Rudy Owens has yielded 22 hits in his last two starts after only average 4-5 hits against per game to begin the season. Bryan Morris has been skipped over in his latest start because of fear of fatigue. His numbers recently are far from the norm for him as he's surrendered 14 earned runs in a span of only 12.2 innings pitched.

As bad as the Curve's pitching has been lately, their bats have been as silent. After being one of the top run producing offenses in the entire league to start the season, which in turn earned them five All-Star selections, the Curve have struggled to score runs since the Break. They have scored more than 3 runs only three times since the break (three also represents their post All-Star Break win total).

And in true Pittsburgh Pirate fashion, when one thing breaks everything goes to hell. The Curve's defense has also let them down lately. They committed two errors yesterday and surrendered two more the game before.

Rudy Owens goes to the mound tonight to hopefully stop the bleeding and put the Curve back on track...back to their winning ways.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 85

Default Re: Altoona enduring six game losing streak

a little adversity is good for a young, so far, very successful team. Hopefully they are learning from this experience.

Threads : 135

Default Re: Altoona enduring six game losing streak

They lost again today. They put together just 3 total hits...they got great pitching from Owens (7 IP and 0 ER) but they were cost a run by another error which gave Owens another loss.

Hopefully it all ends for them soon.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information