Thread: JR's in-game management: WTF?

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default JR's in-game management: WTF?

In the 6th (when everyone in the world knows he shouldn't be back out there), JR leaves Karstens in to pitch to the LH batters, with predictable results. JR doesn't even have Lopez warming up! Now, only one of the runs was earned, thanks to the error, but jeebus...

As for pinch hitting Church (GAH!), well, I'll let WTM from Bucs Dugout call it:

And the idiot manager, having left his righty starter in to give up three runs to the Padres’ LH hitters, puts his LOOGY in to face three straight RH hitters. HE EVEN PUTS THE LOOGY IN WITH THE PITCHER DUE UP, BEFORE THE PH IS ANNOUNCED, SO THE PADRES KNOW TO PUT UP A RH HITTER.
    Now, I'm not a person who's been calling for JR's head like many others have been , but HOLY SNAPPIN' ARSEHOLES, what the HELL is he thinking here? And going against the Padres bullpen, down two (at the time - three now, thanks to JR putting in Sean "Raise the White Flag" Gallagher who balked a run in), it just doesn't make for much of a comeback.

[shakes head]
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Threads : 61
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: JR's in-game management: WTF?

If that ******* from last week is as good at directing pitching moves as he is directing 'the wave,' perhaps we should send his punk *** into the dugout to give goofball signals to JR when it's just the right time to make a change. ****, but you got his *** kicked out! Nice going, jagoff!

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72

****, you're right.

My bad.
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Threads : 1817

JR's in game management has been as bad as I've seen from any Manager. Even in between naps in the dugout, Jim Tracy was making at least simple/basic decisions that shouldn't require a lot of thought like which pitchers to have face what batters and what not.

It amazes me that a Stats Geek like Huntington who probably pays a little too much attention to detail still has a guy like Russell as a Manager. They seem like polar opposites. I get this mental image in my head of Huntington delivering Russell some stats on matchups and such before games and Russell just blatantly ignoring them. He has to be, some of the decisions he makes just defy logic
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So last night had a big head scratcher for me.

Gomez had just homered in the bottom of the 6th to make it a 3-run game. That's a nice cushion, but apparently Russell wanted another run in the top of the 7th for extra breathing room. I'm ok with that, worst that can happen then is a tie with one swing of the bat.

So he decides to play some small ball in the 7th for that extra run. Cutch leads off with a single and Tabata sacrifices him over nicely and he's in scoring position and no real DP threat on the base paths. Good job. Cutch on second can score on any kind of hit and we have Walker (one of our best hitters) and Jones (3-3 already on the night at this point) coming up. Sounds like a great chance for that insurance run and some sound strategy.

And then, all of a sudden after perfectly executing some strategy, Cutch tries to steal third. Now I know he's supposed to have a green light anytime, but I have doubts that he does when it comes to stealing third, especially with a lefty at the plate. That had to come from the dugout and Cutch of course is dead meat at third. This ends the threat, makes the small ball go to waste, and effectively ends the inning.

I saw no need to take that chance to put him on third there, in sac fly territory, with those two hitters coming up. I also understand that you can in fact take some chances with a lead, but then why do the small ball sac bunt to begin with?

I just don't get it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information