Thread: The Outfield

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Outfield

First, the more I see of Jose Tabata, the more I like him.. Even if he is a few years older than 21, and is in his mid-20s like the speculation has it, he's still young enough to be an impact guy for a lengthy period of time. He's immediately shown the poise, speed and defense to have sustained value.

His eye for the ball, his contact and his average have all been steady since he was called up. Currently he has hit safely in 10 of his last 12 games and is batting .308 in July.

10 steals in a shade over a month doesn't hurt either, and at this phase, it wouldn't surprise me to see him wind up with 30+ steals THIS YEAR. I don't ever think he's going to ever be a "power bat", but he has every intangible you look for in an OF. Quite honestly, I'll take a guy with a high 2 batting average, who has a good OBP and is capable of swiping 50+ a season over a hack who hits a truck of homers, but strikes out way too often and has a **** average/OBP. I think with he and McCutchen, the Pirates have the potential to have to blazers on the basepath. That's a nice nucleus to start around.

Lastings Milledge also has made me a fan. He's shown a good bat and fairly good contact. He's another who I question whether the power will ever come, but he's shown a lot elsewhere.

Obviously Cutch is the real deal.

I'm really liking this OF.
    Listen Live, Every Thursday Night at 10 PM Eastern Time

Hidden Content (in progress)

Hidden Content

Threads : 138

Default Re: The Outfield

Cutch and Tabata are pretty much slam dunks at this point. The vast majority of Pirates fans would agree that they are 2/3 of the Pirates OF for the foreseeable future.

However, I am skeptical of Milledge. Milledge has become a fan favorite. He plays hard, always hustles and has been great in the clutch. No doubt, Milledge deserves to start on this current team. However, he is a below average OF and has not shown any power. Typically, you would expect a corner OF who is weak in the field to have a power bat. An OF who lacks a power bat is usually a "plus" fielder. On a good, contending team where would a guy like Milledge fit? Even a spare OF ought to be a "plus" fielder or have some PH pop. Milledge does have some "gap power" which mitigates the lack of HRs and maybe his power can still develop. However, at this point I am inclined to think that what you see is what you get with Milledge. That won't be enough when this team is ready to contend, IMO.

The Pirates need power bat to complement Cutch and Tabata in the OF. Brandon Moss is the closest thing they have to that right now. He may yet be the RF of the future if not the "fourth OF" of the future. Maybe the Bucs pick up a power prospect at the deadline (Kyle Russell from LA?) but I doubt it.

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Traynor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [HIGH-LIGHT]First, the more I see of Jose Tabata, the more I like him.. Even if he is a few years older than 21, and is in his mid-20s like the speculation has it[/HIGH-LIGHT], he's still young enough to be an impact guy for a lengthy period of time. He's immediately shown the poise, speed and defense to have sustained value.

His eye for the ball, his contact and his average have all been steady since he was called up. Currently he has hit safely in 10 of his last 12 games and is batting .308 in July.

10 steals in a shade over a month doesn't hurt either, and at this phase, it wouldn't surprise me to see him wind up with 30+ steals THIS YEAR. I don't ever think he's going to ever be a "power bat", but he has every intangible you look for in an OF. Quite honestly, I'll take a guy with a high 2 batting average, who has a good OBP and is capable of swiping 50+ a season over a hack who hits a truck of homers, but strikes out way too often and has a **** average/OBP. I think with he and McCutchen, the Pirates have the potential to have to blazers on the basepath. That's a nice nucleus to start around.

Lastings Milledge also has made me a fan. He's shown a good bat and fairly good contact. He's another who I question whether the power will ever come, but he's shown a lot elsewhere.

Obviously Cutch is the real deal.

I'm really liking this OF.

If no one can prove that allegation ….. just shut up about it. Not picking on you Pie...just a general statement.

Threads : 413

I never have been a fan of Milledge since first seeing him in a Met's uniform. However, I am liking the play from him on this team. Maybe it's just called maturity. If we could find another power bat to compliment Pedro, i feel this team is only going to get better.

Now pitching. Well that's another story.

Threads : 20

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    If no one can prove that allegation ….. just shut up about it. Not picking on you Pie...just a general statement.
    I fully and completely agree.
    Listen Live, Every Thursday Night at 10 PM Eastern Time

Hidden Content (in progress)

Hidden Content

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Tabata and McCutchen. I think we need more power in RF, though. We have decent, but only mediocre, power at 1B with good power potential at 2B and 3B (and by Walker I mean that he could develop good power for a 2B). We also dont have a power-hitting catcher (or much catching at all really). That means that really, while I like what I've seen lately from Milledge, I think we need a power bat in RF.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I like Tabata and McCutchen. I think we need more power in RF, though. We have decent, but only mediocre, power at 1B with good power potential at 2B and 3B (and by Walker I mean that he could develop good power for a 2B). We also dont have a power-hitting catcher (or much catching at all really). That means that really, while I like what I've seen lately from Milledge, [HIGH-LIGHT]I think we need a power bat in RF[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    and LF. You or anyone else can';t complain about a lack of power from Milledge when Tabata is most likely going to contribute about the same amount at best right now. At least with Milledge we've seen that there is power with his 14 he had for Washington. Tabata has never hit for any power in the Minors. Both guys are going to need to develop their power games. I think it'll happen with age, experience and maturity but I'd be more worried about Tabata and power until he at least proves or shows for once that he has any besides hitting gaps
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information