Thread: Dez Bryant and Hazing...

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Dez Bryant and Hazing...

Dez Bryant won't carry Roy Williams' pads
    Posted by Michael David Smith on July 25, 2010 8:39 PM ET
    NFL rookies are often required to carry veterans' pads as a sort of training camp hazing ritual. But Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant wants no part of it.

Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com reports that Roy Williams gave his pads to Bryant today, and Bryant refused to carry them.

"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

Bryant says this isn't a case of a first-round pick thinking he's above an NFL tradition. Instead, it's about a player who says he won't tolerate being treated badly.

"If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing," Bryant said. "I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]."

But Williams says Bryant was wrong to refuse his request.

"Everybody has to go through it," Williams said. "I had to go through it. No matter if you're a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you've still got to do something when you're a rookie. I carried pads. I paid for dinners. I paid for lunches. I did everything I was supposed to do, because I didn't want to be that guy."

Although the Cowboys' decision to draft Bryant was widely viewed as a sign that the team is less than thrilled with Williams' performance, both Bryant and Williams have steadfastly insisted that there's no bad blood between them. That stance of unity between Bryant and Williams lasted through all of two days of training camp.

UPDATE: After seeing this item, Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman weighed in on Twitter about what Williams' next step should be.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Dez Bryant and Hazing...

Man, you posted this just a few minutes before I started something over in another tavern... So I'll re-post my comments here as well...
    Yea... "Football" news is slow, and we're all looking forward to when the players report for camp at the end of the week.

But has anyone been following the latest story of Dallas Cowboys' top-pick Dez Bryant? If you haven't, he basically refused to carry William's shoulder pads off the field, saying, "I was drafted to play football, not carry pads."

The media is blowing this all out of proportion saying, "Who is Bryant to re-write rookie traditions?"

... This led me to dig-out something I read a while back...

Okay, So Lambert Doesn't Sing

Perhaps because of the player's strike, which gave rookies early run of training camp, or perhaps due to individual treatment, the Steelers' class of '74 was like no others. Case in point: One hot-tempered young fellow named Lambert.

It's a time-honored tradition that rookies are hazed in training camp. Although at one time, things got a bit thick, nowadays it's as tame as singing your school fight song before the assembly in the cafeteria. When one foolhardy fellow prodded Jack Lambert, the emerging number 58 would have none of it.

Lambert: "I don't !&#*&#$ sing," he snarled and strode out.

There was some grumbling among the players as they decided how to handle this heresy.

"Hey, Joe," one player said to Greene, "what about it?"

Greene, who had taken a liking to the long, lean rookie's intensity, focus, and style, just smiled. "I guess Lambert doesn't sing," he said - and left it at that.
    - From The Pittsburgh Steelers: The Official Team History - 3rd edition, by Abby Mendelson

... While no one will attempt to compare Bryant to Lambert, the point is that there HAS been previous precedent set... Just another reason to hate how the media pumps things up.

... BTW, I have already forwarded this tidbit on to ESPN's various sources via e-mail, but I doubt anyone will use it.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

I've heard a lot of different takes on this today...and I figured I'd comment on it:

Carrying pads and singing fight songs is something that EVERY rookie in the NFL must do! Bryant is no exception...

On the other hand, there is a point where "hazing" turns into assult. Personal annecdote:

My freshman year of HSFB, I played on a team that strung together a few consecutive years of success (but no state championships)... I played with a few guys that went onto the NFL, one of which was Kelly Herndon (who picked off Ben in XL and returned it 73yds).

There was a hazing tradition called "Happy Birthday." Basically the Varsity players would beat the **** out of freshman players before practice...some of these beatings got pretty ugly.

The routine (as a freshman) was to get to the field house early, and get up to the practice field before you became a target. One day, I was getting dressed and a well-respected varsity player grabbed me and called on the dogs saying, "This one's ready...he's got his pads on already..."

I defended myself, as I was actually a bit bigger than the Varsity guy (he was a DB) that was trying to initiate the "tradition." I grabbed my helmet by the facemask and cocked back...I then told this d-bag, "not me, not today!"...(or something to that effect). I dont know if I would have actually hit him if he insisted?..but it got me off the hook!!!

He backed off and went after an easier target, but threatened me that I "made a big mistake."

Long story short, I would get threats in the school hallways, pushed from behind during school hrs. and generally harrased....that is until I made a name for myself.

Another tradition was for the line coaches to grab a "tougher" freshman and throw him in the "cage" (a one-on-one, low bar structure, that trained you to fire off the ball low or you would ding your lid on the bars above) against the baddest varsity lineman....Of course the Varsity guys wanted to get me in there since I never got the "happy bday"...

I ended up losing every ****ing time, getting my *** driven into the mud...but I popped up EVERY SINGLE TIME and wanted more. I earned the respect of some of the bigger guys during those drills (and in the weight room)...and they called off the dogs for me... I felt like ****ing Rudy, but they ate it up!!!

After that, I was actually able to attend some parties were I didnt feel threatened by some of the cocky dbags, as I had the "line" in my pocket (still friends with some of those guys)...

I wanted to weigh in on this as I saw some REAL hazing...I saw kids get the **** kicked out of them and the coaches turned the other cheek.

At the end of the day, carrying pads, singing, or buying donuts doesnt seem too harsh...I'm sure you can ask 75% of the kids that played freshman football with me, and they would agree!!!

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree that it's no big deal to do these stupid things... As you, I did it as well.

... And I hate that the media is blowing this outta proportion, but...

Bryant was excluded from his team last season at Ok St. due to issues, and was reported to have been a "slacker" before that... He was doing all the right things... Signed early, first out on the field, etc... This just sets him back and nullifies what he's already done to be "good".

... But again... As I posted, it's happened before...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree that it's no big deal to do these stupid things... As you, I did it as well.

... And I hate that the media is blowing this outta proportion, but...

Bryant was excluded from his team last season at Ok St. due to issues, and was reported to have been a "slacker" before that... He was doing all the right things... Signed early, first out on the field, etc... This just sets him back and nullifies what he's already done to be "good".

... But again... As I posted, it's happened before...
    What makes this story interesting is that [HIGH-LIGHT]Roy Williams [/HIGH-LIGHT]is the guy trying to "establish dominance" on a guy who will mostlikely make Willams an afterthought sooner than later.

However, if we were to go back in time (Dallas-style), and (hypothetically), it was a guy like Michael Irvin telling Bryant to grab his pads...I'm sure Bryant's response would've been a bit different. At least I would hope? But it seems that these younger athletes dont respect the traditions and lore of the game (and their franchise history), as much as they are there to collect a paycheck.

A sad state of affairs for sure...which leads me to believe that we could see a lockout next year? The ignorance of some of these guys would also back this up, in that, they dont realize how much money they lose because of their ego's...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information