Thread: The Price of Winterizing Fertilizer

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Price of Winterizing Fertilizer

JFC. Every year I want to throw down Winterizer cause it's said, that's the best time and best feritilizer for cold grass lawns like PA's. Every year, I forget. This eyar I've been remembering. I was out at Wal Mart the other day and stop in the lawn center... $55 bucks for a bag of Scott's Winterizer! Holy crap. I pay $30 bucks in the spring for Scott's Weed and Feed (Plus 2) and that's the big bag like the winterizer i saw

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Price of Winterizing Fertilizer

What the **** is winterizer?

You're probably paying 55 bucks for sawdust.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Youch! $55?

I'm probably going to give it a day or two to dry out out there and go over the lawn with the leaf vacuum/mulcher. I'll do it without the collection bag attached, so it essentially shreds the leaves from the neighbour's trees and makes them faster breaking down.

Let the leaves add some nutrient to the lawn as they break down. Before you know it, it'll be spring and I'll be wondering why the grass is so ****ed long...

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The cost varies from season-to-season and what it is.... Hell, the bag of summer feed with grub control is expensive as hell (maybe $60-$70)!.... I still haven't done the "winterizer" application yet, but thanx for the reminder....

I used to have the guys come and treat my lawn, but I got ****ed-off at them and started doing it myself again.... I still have them come out and do a liquid app in the spring for weeds, though.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The cost varies from season-to-season and what it is.... Hell, the bag of summer feed with grub control is expensive as hell (maybe $60-$70)!.... I still haven't done the "winterizer" application yet, but thanx for the reminder....

I used to have the guys come and treat my lawn, but I got ****ed-off at them and started doing it myself again.... I still have them come out and do a liquid app in the spring for weeds, though.
    The summerguard and grubex? I know I use 2 in the summer have always been pretty important for me. Keeps the bugs and fleas off of the dog so he can chill in the yard in the summer and it kills grubs to try and at least curb some of those japanese beetles from at least my yard. Never have seen any difference with the grass or weeds with it though It never cost me more than the Weed and Feed (Plus 2). Not sure what's up with Wal Mart's pricing.

I just checked out Lowe's website and a bag to cover 5,000 dquare ft. is slightly under $20 bucks for the winter guard there... so i'll be stopping at Lowes.

No problem on the reminder! I've obviously forgotten every fall to do it.

Part of me every year just wants to tear up the entire yard and start new, but part of me believes that with a couple of years of proper treatments and mowing I can get similar results.. I'm getting there

Late November, Dave is generally the best time for our grasses and areas, according to experts

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    JFC. Every year I want to throw down Winterizer cause it's said, that's the best time and best feritilizer for cold grass lawns like PA's. Every year, I forget. This eyar I've been remembering. I was out at Wal Mart the other day and stop in the lawn center... $55 bucks for a bag of Scott's Winterizer! Holy crap. I pay $30 bucks in the spring for Scott's Weed and Feed (Plus 2) and that's the big bag like the winterizer i saw
    That's my monthly water bill just to keep the ****ing grass alive out here

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why pay for fertilizer? when you have nitrogen production already? Just drink beer and whiz all over the yard all winter!

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    Why pay for fertilizer? when you have nitrogen production already? Just drink beer and whiz all over the yard all winter!
    My dog does that but it doesn't really help

Threads : 5

The builder planted grass about 4 weeks ago. The grass is growing pretty quick, but I've heard that mowing it this late in the season would harm the grass (especially if an evening frost came around.

I asked the builder about what to do (or if to do anything about it). He mentioned possibly putting a winterizer on the lawn, but not a weed n feed because the grass is so young (not a fully developed root system), that I could actually damage it.

Still not sure what to do.

If you just planted grass thar recently, I'd leave it go. Most or any weeds ae fairly dormant and dead by that point anyway. Mid March at the latest I'd go out and get some Fertilizer and throw it down. Scotts crabgrass prevent and Feed. should help curb the early weeds and help your root system on the young grass as it is starting to eat what it's stored over the winter

Kip

That's pretty much what the builder said. He mentioned if we were going to put something on the lawn, to put just a fertilizer on it. Since we have not even unpacked from the move, I don't see us doing anything with the yard until this Spring.

Threads : 33

Quote Originally Posted by GeoPittsburghFan View Post
    Kip

That's pretty much what the builder said. He mentioned if we were going to put something on the lawn, to put just a fertilizer on it. Since we have not even unpacked from the move, I don't see us doing anything with the yard until this Spring.
    You say you "haven't unpacked yet"...is this a new house? If so, try to get the previous owner to share some photos or description of what perennials you already have... you might have some great surprises in store..

Just "Mark them" for now.. After all the previous owner did some planning too. We are looking forward to your Spring Garden..

Merry Christmas.... D

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
    You say you "haven't unpacked yet"...is this a new house? If so, try to get the previous owner to share some photos or description of what perennials you already have... you might have some great surprises in store..

Just "Mark them" for now.. After all the previous owner did some planning too. We are looking forward to your Spring Garden..

Merry Christmas.... D
    Sports,

Brand new house. The builder finished it in late Summer. He put it on the market around the beginning of September, we offered late Sept/early Oct. and settled in late Oct. He left 2-3 of the native trees during his clearing of the lot phase and then planted a bunch of pine trees in the back of the lot. Good thing is in a few years they will have grown up to "hide" the neighbors behind us (have not met them yet so I can't say if they are worth hiding, but my wife and I like privacy, so the trees will come in handy in a few years).

Essentially, we are working with a blank slate, landscape-wise. Right now, we are looking at putting a tree in the front yard. The house faces South, so the front will get the sun (and shading the deck in the back, WOOT!). I'd like a tree to shade most of the front of the house (maple), but my wife would like to put a in dogwood. I'm definitely putting in azaleas in the front to add color. Not sure what else we are doing. We'll talk about this, this winter and once Spring comes, we'll be ready.

Any suggestions from the resident greenthumbs would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: There is a few deer that have taken residence in the lot below us, so I'm not sure what any garden (vegetable) will produce. That's another suggestion/advice: What vegetables can we plant that won't be eaten by the wildlife? Also, what can we do to prevent the wildlife from eating any vegetables we plant?
    Last edited by GeoPittsburghFan; Dec-01-2009 at 10:35 PM.

and then planted a bunch of pine trees in the back of the lot. Good thing is in a few years they will have grown up to "hide" the neighbors behind us (have not met them yet so I can't say if they are worth hiding, but my wife and I like privacy, so the trees will come in handy in a few years).
    I'd take them pines out of the ground and spare yourself later aggrevation. I HATE pine trees or anything in the evergreen family with a passion but especially those trees. Ridiculously weak, brittle, shallow rooted, are useless in any amount of wind storm, like to get really ugly looking in no tme. It's no wonder you can go around and see people cutting these trees down if they are anywhere near something on their property that can be damaged.

Sorry needed to vent a little bit

Dealing with deer is fortunately something I haven't dealt much with. I know they love eating up annuals

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What is it with these people who are obsessed with maintaining their lawns?....

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information