Thread: McCouth Demoted

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default McCouth Demoted

EDIT- of course that should say "McLouth"

Must those god**** eye exams again.

DENVER -- Nate McLouth went from being one of the Pirates' cornerstone players to the primary piece in what probably was this management team's most controversial trade to ... the minor leagues?

Yes, really.

The Atlanta Braves demoted their opening-day center fielder to Class AAA Gwinnett Tuesday, after he batted just .168 with three home runs in 14 RBIs. He recently missed a month to a concussion but went 1 for 15 in his return, and the first-place Braves, clearly not in a position for additional patience, optioned him out despite a $5 million salary -- part of the three-year extension he signed in Pittsburgh -- that he will continue to collect.

McLouth's decline and demotion was a topic in both Coors Field clubhouses.

"Honestly, it's something I can't fathom at all," Colorado manager Jim Tracy, formerly of the Pirates, said. "I can't even wrap my head around it. The Nate that I knew and the one I've seen this year ... it's tough to get."

Don Long, the Pirates' hitting coach, oversaw McLouth's breakout 2008 in which he batted .276 with 26 home runs, 94 RBIs and 23 steals.

"When Nate was here, he was a guy who was on the edge of doing some really good things," Long said. "He'd been in the big leagues, but then he got the opportunity he could be an everyday player and, obviously, had a great year."

The reference was to 2008, although McLouth's career path through the minors and even into 2009 did not make 2008 that much of an aberration.

"Nate was never really high-maintenance in his thinking or his approach," Long continued. "I don't really know what's transpired with him since then, but I hope he can get back on track because I sure enjoyed working with him, and I enjoyed the successes he had when he was with us."

McLouth told Atlanta reporters he would welcome some pressure-free at-bats.

"My confidence or anybody's confidence certainly takes a hit when you've struggled for as long as I have," he said. "But I'm going to go rebuild that, too, and, hopefully, hit a bunch of balls hard and get back here."

On the Pirates' end of the trade:

• Starter Charlie Morton, 26, went 1-9 with a 9.35 ERA before his May demotion to Class AAA Indianapolis, where he is 3-4 with a 4.82 ERA after his victory Tuesday night in Syracuse, N.Y.

• Center fielder Gorkys Hernandez, 22, rode a July surge toward a .266 average with Class AA Altoona, as well as two home runs, 26 RBIs and 17 steals before his right ring finger was fractured Sunday. He is out indefinitely.

• The best of the trio this season has been starter Jeff Locke, 22, at 10-3 with a 3.22 ERA, including a 1.59 ERA in three starts since being promoted to Altoona from Class A Bradenton.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10209...#ixzz0uxKixjkd
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Threads : 29

Default Re: McCouth Demoted

I have no idea how the 3 guys we got are going to turn out but they definitely traded Nate at the right time.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no idea how the 3 guys we got are going to turn out but they definitely traded Nate at the right time.
    It appears so, but I still remember those who complained because we just signed him to a big contract as one of our "cornerstone" players and this obviously was a salary dump.

It's a perfect example why you can't really evaluate a trade immediately and have to see haow things pan out.

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wonder if Bob (BOZO THE COLUMNIST) Smizik & his Ilk are STILL *****ing about the Pirates trading McLoser

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    Jeff Locke appears to be the only one from that trade amounting to anything but IMO if we can get a reliable/good LEFTY SP who can strike guys out above average... then it was a great deal
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpens View Post
    Wonder if Bob (BOZO THE COLUMNIST) Smizik & his Ilk are STILL *****ing about the Pirates trading McLoser
    Someone here I believe threw out some numbers on what the "traded" 2008 Pirates players have done this year, what we'd have done record wise etc.... and Smizik said that he stil wouldn't have torn apart the 2008 Pirates.

So, next time that ******* *****es about anything regarding "money" someone needs to tell him that if he had his way the 2010 and beyond Pirates would be sitting comfy in last place except we would be paying nearly or just at about $75 million $70-75 million for last place results?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information