Thread: steelers sign lineman

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Default steelers sign lineman

flozell adams 2 yr contract.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: steelers sign lineman

I'll be happy if he stays healthy. That's all I'm expecting.

I refuse to get caught up in what this guy did in the past, I'm more concerned about what he can do at age 35. If he can stay healthy and stay onsides and block a ****ing guy every now and then, I'm ok with it.

What did he sign for? Value is a concern of mine.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Steelers sign Flozell Adams
    Thursday, July 29, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10210/1076270-100.stm

The Steelers came to terms on a two-year contract with veteran tackle Flozell Adams this afternoon and he will arrive in training camp with them this weekend.

Adams, 35, is a five-time Pro Bowl left tackle with the Dallas Cowboys. The Steelers signed him in response to losing starting right tackle Willie Colon for the season with an Achilles tendon injury.

It's unsure whether the Steelers will use Adams on his natural left side or the right. Max Starks, their starting left tackle, started in 2005 and 2006 at right tackle for the Steelers so if they put Adams on the left side, Starks would move back to the right.

Adams, nicknamed The Hotel because of his 6-7, 338-pound frame, Adams, last made the Pro Bowl for his play in the 2007 season. The Cowboys, who drafted him from Michigan State in 1998, released him in April.

The Steelers will have to release someone to make room on their 80-man roster for Adams.
    More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10210...#ixzz0v8GDtxLs

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll be happy if he stays healthy. That's all I'm expecting.

I refuse to get caught up in what this guy did in the past, I'm more concerned about what he can do at age 35. If he can stay healthy and stay onsides and block a ****ing guy every now and then, I'm ok with it.

What did he sign for? Value is a concern of mine.
    i dont know what he signed for yet.

I hope that, considering he floated around for a while out there presumably looking for coin, we signed him for a bargain, all things considered for free agency.

But again, this guy's pedigree inflates his value even for his age. I just hope we didn't blow a load on him.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Information about the Steelers new veteran OT

Woodley_tiny by prophicide on Jul 29, 2010 7:02 PM EDT Comment 5 comments
    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...e-steelers-new

I combed the web for information because I wanted to make sure this is good news. Adams will make the team better this year, but I think we'd be better off if Colon were on the line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the basics from NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/players/flozellad...e?id=ADA280969

Flozell is entering his 13th season in the league with 178 career starts and 5 Pro Bowl appearances. He missed 10 games in 2005 but other than that has started every game since 1999.

Here's a statistical analysis of the individual starters on the Cowboys' 2009 O-Line:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/...ine-individual

In 2009 he was penalized for holding 3 times and was called for 5 false starts. As LT he gave up 6.6 sacks, 9 QB hits, and 24 pressures. This article is a decent read because it's a fan's take on the man. They got their data from PFF...

Here's the nitty gritty from ProFootbalFocus:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_p...s&playerid=354

ProFootballFocus ranked Willie Colon the 3rd best tackle in the league last season behind Joe Thomas and Jake Long. Max Starks was ranked 25th and Flozell was ranked 49th out of 77 tackles.

And finally here's an excerpt of a table from footballoutsiders.com. They ranked the Dallas O-line 3rd in the league at run blocking. This data is the most promising because it shows that Dallas (who ran well all year) ran most effectively when Flozell was involved.

LEFT END LEFT TACKLE MID/GUARD RIGHT TACKLE RIGHT END
    TEAM ALY Rank ALY Rank ALY Rank ALY Rank ALY Rank
    3 DAL 5.21 3 5.03 4 4.19 13 4.16 15 4.80 6

The picture of Flozell that I'm getting is that he's a hardened veteran, an OK pass blocker and still a good run blocker. I've heard rumors that self promotion and his high profile team got him into those Pro Bowls, so maybe there are some attitude issues. He was cut by the Cowboys and he's entering his 13th season, so he should just be happy to be here. If he fits into our O-line then the Steelers should be fine next year, but Willie Colon would probably have been better.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I will probably receive some arguments here but maybe not. I do not think this is an upgrade from Colon. In fact he may be Colon except old as **** but what choice do they really have? Hell who knows if he even makes the team. It would be really great if someone can step up and claim a starting position over him at very least. Would rather have this guy as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I will probably receive some arguments here but maybe not. I do not think this is an upgrade from Colon. In fact he may be Colon except old as **** but what choice do they really have? Hell who knows if he even makes the team. It would be really great if someone can step up and claim a starting position over him at very least. Would rather have this guy as a backup.
    You could be right, I'm not going to argue with you on this one.

It goes back to what I've been ragging about for years, the Steelers have neglected the line for what - well over a decade?

Think about it, if we decided to develop a line - starting with the 2011 draft, how long does it take to put together? 5 years minimum considering all the right moves and the luck of the Irish is involved?

This is what we get by neglecting this line. We have been lucky the last couple years by getting by with an over-performing line that played marginally, but when one of these guys goes down there's zero depth to fill the spot, so we have to go out in FA and get some washed-up overpaid has-been and cross our fingers.

We have nobody to blame for ourselves if this turns out disastrous.

You could be right, I'm not going to argue with you on this one.

It goes back to what I've been ragging about for years, the Steelers have neglected the line for what - well over a decade?

Think about it, if we decided to develop a line - starting with the 2011 draft, how long does it take to put together? 5 years minimum considering all the right moves and the luck of the Irish is involved?

This is what we get by neglecting this line. We have been lucky the last couple years by getting by with an over-performing line that played marginally, but when one of these guys goes down there's zero depth to fill the spot, so we have to go out in FA and get some washed-up overpaid has-been and cross our fingers.

We have nobody to blame for ourselves if this turns out disastrous.
    I don't ***** about it because top shelf lineman are extremely expensive and have a few of those guys would mean guys like Miller or Mendy or Woodley or someone would have to be let go. It's the cap and so you have to pick where you want your weaknesses, where you think you can get away with it. And I think the Steelers have proved a few times already that you can win it all with a mediocre to bad O-line.

I don't ***** about it because top shelf lineman are extremely expensive and have a few of those guys would mean guys like Miller or Mendy or Woodley or someone would have to be let go. It's the cap and so you have to pick where you want your weaknesses, where you think you can get away with it. And I think the Steelers have proved a few times already that you can win it all with a mediocre to bad O-line.
    Again, I won't argue this point but that was then and this is now.

Stars align sometimes, and sometimes you have to accomplish your goals in the trenches. Not sure we can bank on the stars aligning every year.

Stars align sometimes, and sometimes you have to accomplish your goals in the trenches. Not sure we can bank on the stars aligning every year.
    Well of course not but at the same time no one wins every year anyway you know the stars kind of have to align regardless

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Personally, I like the signing! Seems like we may have hard-balled him into taking a deal below his "perceived" market value, based on the time frame (cant wait to see the specs of the deal). We need some dirt dogs on our passive line...regardless of their age and/or diminishing skills! Definately more newsworthy than that last lineman we signed...****, I already forgot his name?

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    Personally, I like the signing! Seems like we may have hard-balled him into taking a deal below his "perceived" market value, based on the time frame (cant wait to see the specs of the deal). We need some dirt dogs on our passive line...regardless of their age and/or diminishing skills! Definately more newsworthy than that last lineman we signed...****, I already forgot his name?
    Attitude and toughness is one thing but this guys is going to kill some drives for us.

Well of course not but at the same time no one wins every year anyway you know the stars kind of have to align regardless
    Here's my concern though, and I appreciate your position. Ben's window isn't going to be open forever and guys like Ben don't come along every decade. Hell, it might be closed right now but for the present I have to assume he continues to be a top rated QB regardless of his off-field issues.

I don't buy into the dumb luck theory and while we may have benefited from it in the past, banking on it for the future is a bad gamble IMO. Our line is what it is and O-lines have consistently been the anchor of successful teams, and we have neglected this area of the team and still stepped in **** and came out smelling like roses.

If we're going for #7 anytime soon, doing so with a patchwork line is putting us a few steps back.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Then and now. Colon stunk when we won a Super Bowl in 2008. I'm not looking for much As long as Flozell doesn't get injured we shouldn't see a downgrade ... that would be difficult unless Sean Mahan comes in....
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information