Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Capps dealt to Twins for Testa and Ramos

Threads : 1
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Matt Capps dealt to Twins for Testa and Ramos

According to Ken Rosenthal's Twitter account, the Twins have acquired Matt Capps and cash from the Nats in exchange for LHP Joe Testa and C Wilson Ramos. So, the Nats GM can get that much for Capps, eh? Personally, while being an NH fan, this puts him on the hot seat. Hated non-tendering Capps to begin with. Is Dotel worth that much less?
    Last edited by Van Slyke; Jul-29-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Threads : 135

Default Re: Matt Capps dealt to Twins for Testa and Ramos

The Nationals got a top 100 prospect for Matt Capps...and we non-tender him? The Pirates would NOT have gotten this return in the offseason...let me again repeat...the Pirates would NOT have gotten this return for Capps in the offseason. However, you have to wonder about the coaching that he can go elsewhere and at least go back to the way he'd pitched before...and getting a top 100 prospect in return? Nice work.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Nationals got a top 100 prospect for Matt Capps...and we non-tender him? The Pirates would NOT have gotten this return in the offseason...let me again repeat...the Pirates would NOT have gotten this return for Capps in the offseason. However, you have to wonder about the coaching that he can go elsewhere and at least go back to the way he'd pitched before...and getting a top 100 prospect in return? Nice work.
    I agree with us not getting that return for Capps in the offseason. A bag of balls would've been a surprise. the complaint will be that we should've extended him andf then flipped him this offseason.

i'm still not that bitter nor can I be. Capps had a season and a half worth of woeful numbers and injury issues along with his weight that he hadn't overcome. I didn't think he would turn it around
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Agreed we wouldn't have gotten anything close this past off-season. But, it begs to question: What if we had re-signed the guy for $3.3 or 3.5 and he had a similar season here? There's no way of knowing that, obviously. But, what if? Would NH have been able to get that kind of return? That's a strong deal for Washington. How and why did Capps rebound enough to warrant that return? Was it simply a change of scenery? Is it better coaching? What? I said then and I still say...this organization cannot afford to just give away a commodity. Capps struggled, but did it before and has now shown he still can. A lost opportunity, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I agree with us not getting that return for Capps in the offseason. A bag of balls would've been a surprise. the complaint will be that we should've extended him andf then flipped him this offseason.

i'm still not that bitter nor can I be. Capps had a season and a half worth of woeful numbers and injury issues along with his weight that he hadn't overcome. I didn't think he would turn it around
    I didn't think he was that good either...however, you have to wonder about the coaching here again too. I'd hate to see what Maholm and/or Duke could do if their problem is our coaching.

Capps isn't anything special...but he was better than the last year and a half here...and I am not sure about the "no sell" on him. Again, the coaching thing is the biggest issue I see.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by Van Slyke View Post
    Agreed we wouldn't have gotten anything close this past off-season. But, it begs to question: What if we had re-signed the guy for $3.3 or 3.5 and he had a similar season here? There's no way of knowing that, obviously. But, what if? Would NH have been able to get that kind of return? That's a strong deal for Washington. How and why did Capps rebound enough to warrant that return? Was it simply a change of scenery? [HIGH-LIGHT] Is it better coaching? What? I said then and I still say...this organization cannot afford to just give away a commodity. Capps struggled, but did it before and has now shown he still can. A lost opportunity, IMO.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Completely agree about missed opportunity...and I think the problem is that it very well could be a coaching problem...we've had really bad luck with losing players for little or nothing and finding out later it was a coaching problem.

The Pirates need to find some coaching luck.
    Hidden Content

What would Hanrahan or Meek bring? Both have far superior stuff to Capps. Just a thought.

I think it's time to stop going cheap on coaching. We're spending in the draft, which is cheaper than buying overpriced free agents. Well, so is coaching. I like the fact the O's hired Buck Showalter. The O's and Bucs have gone the cheap route with managers and coaches over the years. Let's bring in a veteran manager this off-season. Let's call Leo Mazzone. Hell, he lives in Cumberland, MD, doesn't he? As far as a manager, I'd seriously consider bringing back Gene Lamont. If you look at what he did as a manager in both Chicago and here, he'd be an excellent choice. Call me crazy, but Lamont did a lot with very little here.

What would Hanrahan or Meek bring? Both have far superior stuff to Capps. Just a thought.
    I am not sure...probably more...but neither has closer experience which I think would cause some teams to be leery of giving up the high return on unproven closers.
    Hidden Content

I think it's time to stop going cheap on coaching. We're spending in the draft, which is cheaper than buying overpriced free agents. Well, so is coaching. I like the fact the O's hired Buck Showalter. The O's and Bucs have gone the cheap route with managers and coaches over the years. Let's bring in a veteran manager this off-season. Let's call Leo Mazzone. Hell, he lives in Cumberland, MD, doesn't he? As far as a manager, I'd seriously consider bringing back Gene Lamont. If you look at what he did as a manager in both Chicago and here, he'd be an excellent choice. Call me crazy, but Lamont did a lot with very little here.
    I'd rather have Fredi Gonzalez or Jose Oquendo...and I'd love to have Leo Mazzone, but I am not sure that he's really looking/wanting to come to a team like the Pirates.
    Hidden Content

Just as another example, while Snell didn't improve...Gorzelanny has improved...Capps has improved...you just gotta wonder.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Just as another example, while Snell didn't improve...Gorzelanny has improved...Capps has improved...you just gotta wonder.
    Snell just had emotional issues, and still likely does. Actually it's a shame. Really thought he was going to be something. Had the ability to simply take the ball and dominate. Still remember that night a couple seasons ago in Miami against the Marlins. He was simply a beast.

Same with Paul Wagner from the mid 90's. Remember him? Wagner threw a one-hitter, and I think a couple of two-hitters with the Bucs. Just fantastic movement on his pitches. Yet, could never put it all together.

Before that, Jose DeLeon. Ugh!

Now, we have Charlie Morton. Gosh, I hope he breaks the trend but he reminds me of all the aforementioned.

Threads : 197

I was always kind of indifferent towards non-tendering Capps. The big things that seem to be helping him this year is that his walk rate is back to his normal range (a full walk per 9 below last year), and that he's getting more groundballs than he ever has. A 7% increase over last year and a full 10% over his career rate. Seems like he must have made some sort of change to his fastball where he's getting some downward movement on it.

Looking at it from the Twins perspective, this is the kind of deal where if Dayton Moore makes it everyone makes fun of him forever, but because it's the Twins no one will. Capps is a slightly above average reliever, much like he has been all of his career except last year. After the season he's had here he's probably due more than $5 million through arbitration after this season. There's no way the Twins want to pay Capps $5 million plus and pay Joe Nathan $11.25. Almost no one spends that kind of money in the bullpen. They're going to be looking to deal him and it's very unlikely they get back something close to what they gave up. The value of Wilson Ramos was probably declining, but he's the kind of player who could bounce back up.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Personally, I think Capps has outpitched his abilities this year. I think he will get pounded by AL batters throwing his no movement fastball. I think the Sox just won that division and By next spring, Joe Nathan becomes the most popular pro athlete in Minnesota.
    Last edited by Steelreign; Jul-31-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: misspelled word
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There has to be a coaching shake-up in the off-season.

Keep Don Long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information