Thread: The Circus Has Started In Cincy

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Circus Has Started In Cincy

Here's some of the junk that has already started innundating the media outlets here in Cincy... These are some of the better (stupid) stuff I've read today....
    ----------------------
    Adam Jones knows he has work to do
    By Kevin Goheen • Enquirer contributor • July 29, 2010

Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochcocinco (left) and cornerback Adam Jones go at each other jokingly after a play during Thursday's morning practice.

[IMGR]http://i26.tinypic.com/2z551sx.jpg[/IMGR]GEORGETOWN, Ky. - Adam Jones doesn't mind all of the attention being paid to the arrival of Terrell Owens at Bengals training camp. He's got enough to worry about regarding his own comeback attempt.

he cornerback and former first-round draft pick of the Tennessee Titans, who previously went by the nickname "Pacman," has been suspended two times by the NFL for violating the league's personal conduct code.

He was on a practice field for the first time in two seasons Thursday. He was admittedly rusty.

"I've got a lot to work on," said Jones.

Jones sat out all of last season after playing in just nine games for Dallas in 2008, in part due to a league suspension. He is competing for playing time behind starters Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall and got right into the mix Thursday going head-to-head against wide receiver Chad Ochocinco.

"Chad killed me today," said Jones. "It was my first time playing press coverage in two years, so it was a tough first day. I was on the ground way too many times. But it's good to have a first day."

Ochocinco caught eight passes for 135 yards against Tennessee in 2005, including a 15-yard touchdown over Jones in the fourth quarter that helped the Bengals to a 31-23 win on the road.

"I'm going to keep on killing him," said Ochocinco Thursday. "But he's real good. We're going to keep going at it. It's all about the competition and getting better."

Coach Marvin Lewis isn't ready to pass judgment on Jones or any player after just one day of practice.

"His transition will be to play snap-after-snap football and prove that he can do that in a competitive environment all of the time," said Lewis.

"He needs to be a disciplined player play in and play out and execute the techniques and things we're asking him to do."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...has-work-to-do

T.O.'s arrival slightly delayed
    The Enquirer - 7/29/2010

Joe Reedy reports from G-town that TO missed his flight (gee, what a stunner) and will not be around for the media interview session and weenie roast at noon. Projected arrival now: 4 pm. Ah, the heart palpitates.

Terrell Owens gets hero's welcome at CVG
    Newest Bengals receiver: 'It's gonna be awesome'

By Shannon Russell • srussell@enquirer.com • July 29, 2010

Bengals wide receiver Terrell Owens arrived in Cincinnati with fanfare that would befit a king.

Decked out in pure black - from his ball cap and sunglasses to clothes and backpack - Owens navigated a path out of the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport as about 75 fans and media members tried to get his attention at about 2:55 p.m. Thursday.

Once he emerged in the greeting area, fans screamed "T.O.!" and "Who-dey!" Owens raised his hand in acknowledgement and initially remained quiet as the spectacle grew to include nearby airport workers and passengers.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...na-be-awesome-

Bryant surrenders No. 81 to Owens
    By Joe Reedy • jreedy@enquirer.com • July 29, 2010

No. 81 was out on the field for the first Bengals Thursday morning practice at Georgetown College, and for the most part didn't look as dire as some might have suspected.

At least for one session, No. 81 was Antonio Bryant.

Bryant said that he has agreed to give Terrell Owens the number in return for a donation to one of his youth programs in Miami. Owens arrived from Los Angeles Thursday afternoon and was on the field for the evening session.

"I talked to him. To be honest with you I'm a realist. Like I told him, I said I was not going to make no spectacle out of it," said Bryant of the number switch. "You've got a bigger legacy with the number than I do. I've changed my number several times while you've had the same number."

Bryant has worn 81 (Cleveland, San Francisco), 88 (Dallas) and 89 (Tampa Bay). Whatever the number is, it won't be 88 or 89 since they are spoken for.

To Bryant though it doesn't matter. When asked what his new number would be, the eight-year veteran said: "I really don't care. You know my name, right?"

Even though Bryant practiced, all did not go smoothly. He slipped on some routes, as did some of the other receivers, and dropped a couple of passes. He also wasn't running at full speed as he tries to recover from the left knee that he injured twice last year.

"He's back to playing football," coach Marvin Lewis said. "He's been away working with the trainer, and we're going to have to keep working with him to keep the strength around the knee. He's going to have to continue practicing ... to keep the stress off his knee and joints."

On days when the team practices twice, he will sit out one of the sessions.

"How do you tell a person not to be hurt? I don't know how to not be hurt. It's something you have to be able to play with," Bryant said. "There are a lot of guys around there playing with these injuries but for the position that I play it's a lot more difficult because of the movement."

It's gradual process, but frustrating.

"It's just a matter of being able to go. If you feel like you can't go and doing everything with the right leg it's just an uncomfortable situation. Then you start compensating," Bryant said. "At the end of the day I'm probably the most vulnerable receiver on the field because I'm dealing with something that's nagging me but everyone is dealing with something."

When Bryant signed his four-year, $28 million contract, many wondered if he would be the receiver who had a career-high 83 receptions for 1,248 yards in 2008 or the one who had 39 receptions for 400 yards last year while dealing with injuries.

With the addition of Owens, though, Bryant's role will change. Chad Ochocinco and Owens are more suited as outside receivers while Bryant could line up in the slot, which would be a new spot for him. But Bryant is a physical receiver who is not afraid to go over the middle.

Whatever the role, he says he'll be comfortable with it.

"It depends on how you look at it. ... I'm a team player and it's all about having the best team," Bryant said. "I would definitely go after the best players possible especially in the way that they acquired him. I respect his game as a player. When you look at the Bengals now and when you go in the division and look at the secondaries on every team, you can sit there and fantasize and mention matchups."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...No-81-to-Owens
    Last edited by Palmetto Steel; Jul-30-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Circus Has Started In Cincy

I saw comment on Facebook where a Bengals fan said "Is there a better receiving corps in the league than "Bryant, "Ocho-Stinko", "Owens". It's a good question. That's 3 WR's that can stretch the field and all 3 of them have garnered double coverage... So someone replied "I might hate the team but I'll take "Moss, Welker, Crumpler" .

The big question there is that Tom Brady has proven that he can be a prolific QB and win in the clutch. Carson Palmer has proven post Kimo ACL that he's a choke artist whose deeper passing ability has vanished and lacks touch on shorter passing routes.

I personally love that Cincinnati is bringing in all of this WR talent to go along with a successful 2009 running game and putting it all in the hands of Chokeson Palmer.

If the running game and Defense for Cincinnati wasn't a fluke (and I personally don't believe it was) and Carson Palmer and those WR's light it up ... outside of not having any video tapes, cincy on paper looks as strong as the 07 Pats, maybe stronger since the 07 pats lacked an above average defense and running game
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Y'know, it almost seems like an attempt at self-immolation, putting Jones, Owens and Ouco-smego in the same locker room. But who am I to judge?
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Y'know, it almost seems like an attempt at self-immolation, putting Jones, Owens and Ouco-smego in the same locker room. But who am I to judge?
    That's a TON of ego. With the Pats of 2007 you just had Randy Moss's ego and the world got shocked to see Moss to kill that team and locker room... but it WAS only 1 guy.... I mean Stinko and Owens together themselves is more ego than you see in half of the league
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

The circus rolls on and the plot thickens. According to the Bengals' ****ter, "Bryant not working for fourth straight practice".

Too many clowns, looks like someone's for the chop.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too many clowns, looks like someone's for the chop.
    They actually have a fair amount of depth at the position... If anyone gets "chopped", I would guess it would be Crosby, Simpson, Jones, Purify, or the rookies... But who knows? ... Especially if Bryant isn't spending too much time on the field.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Frankly, we've had such a slings-and-arrows offseason, I'm taking a perverse pleasure (all the best ones are!) in seeing other franchises looking as if they might possibly not have all smooth sailing.

Schadenfreude (German - the language of love!).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information