Thread: LB Jared Barber Commits to WVU

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default LB Jared Barber Commits to WVU

LB Jared Barber Commits to WVU

Jared Barber gave WVU its first linebacker commitment Wednesday evening.

By Geoff Coyle for wvillustrated.com
    http://www.wvillustrated.com/wvufoot...opstory/id/951
    July 29, 2010

West Virginia got their first linebacker commitment for the 2011 recruiting class late Wednesday when Jared Barber picked the Mountaineers over offers from the likes of North Carolina State and Wake Forest.

Barber had been on campus recently, and he says the moment he left Morgantown he already knew he would be committing to WVU, but he needed one more visit to make it official. This time he brought along his mother, his brothers, and his best friend to be certain that he had each one’s stamp of approval before giving the coaching staff his word.

“Before we came up here, my mom was pretty iffy about the situation because it’s six hours away and she wants her son to be close to home so I can come home and see her,” says Barber. “But once she got up here and met the coaches and saw what I saw in West Virginia, she was really happy with the decision. She really thinks I can be successful here in academics and in athletics.”

Barber had another reason to revisit his future coaches.

“I believe that if you’re going to commit somewhere, you need to be face-to-face with the coaches and be there to shake their hands,” he says.

The 6-1, 220-pound middle linebacker has made a name for himself as a hard-hitting force on the Davie County (N.C.) defense, bursting onto the scene with over 150 tackles as a freshman. He says last year he had 148 tackles, including over 20 for a loss, and six forced fumbles for Coach Doug Illing’s War Eagles. The type of football he loves to play at Davie is the same brand he sees himself succeeding in under WVU defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel.

“The way they play defense, it’s hard-nose, hit you in the face, smash-mouth football and that’s what I like,” he says. “I’m not the biggest guy, I’m not the fastest or the strongest on the field, but I do have a really good work ethic. I bust my butt every day on the practice field, in the weight room and I have a lot of drive.

“It’s not what I do, but how hard I work that makes me excel the most. I love the game, I love playing football and I love hitting people.”

Barber’s lead recruiter was WVU receivers coach Lonnie Galloway, and he admits that the family-like atmosphere that Galloway and the rest of the staff created became the major determining factor in his commitment.

“The family atmosphere with the coaches and players is awesome. I haven’t seen that at any other university,” he says. “I can definitely see myself being a Mountaineer and fitting in up there.”
    So Wednesday, after gaining his real family’s approval, they all stepped inside Bill Stewart’s office to give the Mountaineers the word they had been hoping for when they first began speaking to Barber months ago.

“My mom just told the coaches that I had something to tell them, and I said I think it’d be a great fit for me to be here and I’d like to commit,” Barber says. “They just jumped up, gave me a hug and said congratulations and that they’re happy for me to finally commit because they were waiting on me.”

Now that the visit is over and the decision is made, Barber and his family will get a taste of what it will be like to make the drive to and from Morgantown to see their son suit up for the Mountaineers on game day.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: LB Jared Barber Commits to WVU

Dante Campbell, a 6-foot-4, 195-pound WR at Clermont East Ridge, committed to West Virginia on July 27.

By Chris Hays | Orlando Sentinel
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,4746304.story
    6:42 p.m. EDT, July 27, 2010

Clermont East Ridge wide receiver Dante Campbell (6-foot-4, 195), the No. 1-ranked wide out in Central Florida, has committed to West Virginia for the 2011 recruiting class. He picked West Virginia over offers from Bowling Green, Colorado State, FAU and FIU.

But it was more about the fit that drew Campbell to Morgantown. His parents grew up about 2 hours north of WVU in the Sharon, Pa., area and getting back closer to family was certainly a drawing point.

"It feels good. I'm excited. I just came from my unofficial visit," said Campbell, who was just leaving the campus. "I just like the campus, the coaches … coaching staff is great and it's close to home."

For father Diondrae Campbell, "He's close to home, Western Pennsylvania is where we are originally from and so I can fly up their, pick up my father and pick up his car and drive down to the games. Kill two birds with one stone ... see the family and watch my son play football."

Dante's mother still lives in Sharon, while the father lives in Orlando and is an actor, appearing mostly in commercials and other spot roles.

Campbell, the 25th-ranked player in the Sentinel's 2011 Central Florida Super60 caught 31 passes for 486 yards and three touchdowns last season for East Ridge.

"I didn't really have a top two," Campbell said. "Not that (West Virginia) was that much better, it was just what my family and I felt more comfortable with right now."

Dante and his father had a great meeting with head coach Bill Stewart.

"When I told coach Stewart, he got excited, jumped up and gave me a hug," Dante said.

"Coach Stewart, what an awesome guy," said Diondrae. "They even said he'll have an opportunity to play as a freshman.

"We've come a long ways. With the help of the coach Lo Wood and his speed training, with the help of Coach O (East Ridge coach Bud O'Hara) … We got a long ways to go still though ... gotta finish this year out."

Chris Hays is the Sentinel's recruiting coverage coordinator and can be reached at chays@orlandosentinel.com.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information