Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Aftermath

Threads : 17
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Aftermath

Well after a day of aquireing Chris Snyder and a few others there are some questions. Whos gonna be are closer? and id assome snyder is gonna be our starting catcher now.

Threads : 158

Default Re: The Aftermath

Hanrahan has experience I expect everyone to move up an inning.

Threads : 691

I would think Hanrahan and Meek will share the job. I really like today's deals,the Bucs moved some relievers,and bench junk for some interesting players.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 215

For once in a long while, I'm reasonably happy. We didn't throw away Maholm.............It's easier to say "we" right now.........."We" actually received a return for the good guys that "we" traded.

Doumit will still be a "find" for a big city team. Jaramillo has been disappointing, but I hate to lose Kratz's playing time. I was becoming a fan of his. Catcher could be better than Snyder, Kratz was as good IMHO.

Players that play in the future look pretty good:Snyder/Kratz/Sanchez, Jones/Doumit/Clement, Walker, Cedeno (we hope), Alvarez, Milledge/Jones/Doumit, McCutchen, Tabata..........LaRoche on the bench with Delwyn....

I am hoping the starting pitching gets better with experience, but I have hoped upon hope, in this area. Our Buccos could still use a go to guy on the staff. The bullpen, once a strength, may still be good enough.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For once in a long while, I'm reasonably happy. We didn't throw away Maholm.............It's easier to say "we" right now.........."We" actually received a return for the good guys that "we" traded.

Doumit will still be a "find" for a big city team. Jaramillo has been disappointing, but I hate to lose Kratz's playing time. I was becoming a fan of his. Catcher could be better than Snyder, Kratz was as good IMHO.

Players that play in the future look pretty good:Snyder/Kratz/Sanchez, Jones/Doumit/Clement, Walker, Cedeno (we hope), Alvarez, Milledge/Jones/Doumit, McCutchen, Tabata..........LaRoche on the bench with Delwyn....

I am hoping the starting pitching gets better with experience, but I have hoped upon hope, in this area. Our Buccos could still use a go to guy on the staff. The bullpen, once a strength, may still be good enough.
    I think that entirely is up to the starting pitching. We did lose 3 pretty dependable arms out of the pen, and Lord knows the way we have been pitching, they were all needed. Time to step it up fellas.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    I think that entirely is up to the starting pitching. We did lose 3 pretty dependable arms out of the pen, and Lord knows the way we have been pitching, they were all needed. Time to step it up fellas.
    Pretty accurate. Without Carrasco you're losing the reliable guy in your pen that ate the 2nd most innings and a reliable lefty in Lopez and replacing them with MLB failures like Ledezma and Jackson. Our Starting rotation has major issues getting through 6 IP's especially when they are giving up free bases. I'm going to say that because of our Starting Rotation, the bullpen results are going to get worse and we'll have to hold on until free Agency to fix the BP. Basically I anticipate pitching results being worse than they are and fully 110% welcome being completely flat out wrong.

I'm not really concerned either. I'm happy to see flips and the returns we had for guys that we can (one of the few cases) replace in Free Agency - bullpen
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i think NH is setting us up for some very interesting winter meetings. NH has proved he can put together a bullpen again. The lineup is starting to show potential. We are 2 or 3 pieces from being a legit productive offensive team. I also think we are only 2 arms away from being a .500 team. From there a little tweaking could net us a winning season. Its close, way closer than we have been in the last 17 years

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with Smizik here....I think NH got LUCKY with his bullpen. There's no guarantee that he can bring in bullpen arms again like he did this year.

However, to flip what he had (outside of the Lopez deal) for prospects is great. However, once again we get someone else's failed prospects. Outside of Tabata (and the jury is still out on him), none have come through. I doubt if these will either.

However, I do hope I am wrong. But I have had hope for the last 18 years. I'm thinking of taking up a summer hobby that doesn't involve baseball.

Bottom line is that we were losing 3 out of 4 games with these bullpen guys, so what's the difference if they're here or gone? We suck.

Thank God Steeler camp started. Now the only question I want answered is: What parent, in their right mind, would name their boy "Flozell"? Johnny Cash should've wrote another song about him, "A boy named Flozell".

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just trudged through the dregs of the internet that is the Bob Smizik blog.

I never cease to be blown away by the fact that the same five guys go on there everyday to whine and attack Pirates management and each other.

Anyways, people that ***** saying that the bullpen trades made the big club worse forget one thing... the big club doesn't really matter right now.

While the Bucs are obviously on the clock with the young guys now that they're up, the team is still 30-plus games under .500. They're not storming out of the basement anytime soon.

What Huntington did was trade a few pieces of a good, not great, bullpen for more pieces towards the future.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Threads : 138

I wonder if releasing Brendan Donnelly was a mistake. He was adequate and a veteran. I suspect that when he was released, NH did not expect to be able to trade all three of those guys (Dotel, Lopez, Carrasco).

I am on board with all of the trades. However Donnelly could've been a stabilizing influence and I think this might prove to be a mistake.

Threads : 45

Matt Morris was a stabilizing influence as well. The bottom line was, Donnelly was not getting the job done and a move had to be made. They flipped 3 and released one, not bad in my opinion. If one or two of the players they traded for succeed, it will have been a successful trade deadline.

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    I wonder if releasing Brendan Donnelly was a mistake. He was adequate and a veteran. I suspect that when he was released, NH did not expect to be able to trade all three of those guys (Dotel, Lopez, Carrasco).

I am on board with all of the trades. However Donnelly could've been a stabilizing influence and I think this might prove to be a mistake.
    In what way was Donnelly adequate? He was terrible in just about every way a pitcher can be terrible.

Threads : 1817

[QUOTE=LeeFoo;94760]
    I agree with Smizik here....I think NH got LUCKY with his bullpen. There's no guarantee that he can bring in bullpen arms again like he did this year.
    That's bad for your health. Bob Smizik is a moron and the guy would be best off writing for some Cleveland newspaper.

Huntington didn't get lucky with the bullpen at all. Carrasco, Dotel and Lopez all performed at expectations. Meek has overachieved but at the same time I felt like Brendan Donnelly was a disappointment and more was expected out of him. So it's a wash there. Hanrahan has performed very well since we traded for him.

Bottom line is that Bob Smizik is a dip**** that usually doesn't know **** about players, stats, expectations, sports etc... He's not knowledgeable in sports. He's a "columnist" which has nothing to do with having a strong background in sports knowledge. It just means that he can formulate sentences and paragraphs

However, to flip what he had (outside of the Lopez deal) for prospects is great. However, once again we get someone else's failed prospects. Outside of Tabata (and the jury is still out on him), none have come through. I doubt if these will either.
    So just because some prospects have failed we should never make trades or flip AGING short term players that were signed EXACTLY for the sole purpose of providing short term help and being flipped? How do you improve? Sit back, do nothing and act like you're scared ****less to do something because of past failures? Holding onto a 36 year old reliever and paying him $4 million isn't exactly the answer except to Smizik and his moron minions that were and still do think we should've extended Jason Bay for the ridiculous price he's getting now for hitting far below average and retaining garbage like Nate McLouth who is now taking buses to games in the minor leagues.

These are ALL low risk moves by Huntington. If the return fails it doesn't hurt in the long term. Decisions are made for the long term, not short term.

Bottom line is that we were losing 3 out of 4 games with these bullpen guys, so what's the difference if they're here or gone? We suck.
    Now you're getting it! There is no difference. Sure we probably got a little worse in the short term because the guys that are replacing these bullpen arms we just got rid of are career minor leaguers (Ledezma and Jackson). However a Bullpen is one of the few areas that teams can successfully build in the offseason. There's more available bullpen arms at great rates in the offseason. It's WHY Huntington didn't get lucky. It's WHY Littlefield always looked like a Bullpen genius. Minus injuries or complete fall offs, bullpens are fairly easy to build in the offseason.

I have no doubts that we can replinish the bullpen needs in the Offseason. What we did was took replaceable parts and flipped them. If every person in these trades fail, we still lost nothing because none of these bullpen arms we traded were long term solutions anyways.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post

However, I do hope I am wrong. But I have had hope for the last 18 years. I'm thinking of taking up a summer hobby that doesn't involve baseball.

Thank God Steeler camp started. Now the only question I want answered is: What parent, in their right mind, would name their boy "Flozell"? Johnny Cash should've wrote another song about him, "A boy named Flozell".
    Actually, there's no guarantee that the bullpen arms we traded will be worth a **** next year. Bullpen arms are a volatile group. You never know from year to year what they will do, except for an elite few. Huntington took 3 arms and 2 bench pieces that had no future here and flipped them for players that may or may not pan out. In the offseason, there will be several Dotel's, Carrasco's and Lopez' to plug in where needed. These weren't ground breaking trades, but I like the return for these short term pieces.

Threads : 138

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    In what way was Donnelly adequate? He was terrible in just about every way a pitcher can be terrible.
    He wasn't doing well obviously, but he was holding opponents to a 234 batting average. I'd rather see him out there than Steven Jackson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information