Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starkey: NFL justice a joke

Threads : 440

Default Starkey: NFL justice a joke

Starkey: NFL justice a joke

By Joe Starkey, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Sunday, August 1, 2010

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell sent a strong message to players Wednesday: It's OK to get in a fight at a strip club as long as it's your first offense under the make-it-up-as-we-go-along personal-conduct policy.

Apparently, it's not that big a deal to drive drunk multiple times, either, but we'll get to that in a minute.

Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young had to be jumping for joy when news broke that he would not be suspended for his dust-up at Club Onyx, an "upscale urban gentleman's club" in Dallas. There was nothing gentlemanly about Vinny's behavior that mid-June night. He was caught on video assaulting a man who had used a hand gesture to insult Young's alma mater.

After executing a flawless swim move on a woman seated behind an office door, a raging Young went for the sack. He swung at his insulter. They proceeded to lock horns, you could say, before Young was held back from possibly inflicting serious damage.

Under normal circumstances, I'm not sure I would have issued a suspension, either, but the NFL hardly is operating under normal circumstances these days. Goodell has turned his league into a police state.

Part of the time, anyway.

Other times, anything goes.

Three years ago, players gave Goodell the freedom to act as judge, jury and executioner in administering the personal-conduct policy. Unfortunately, he has abused his power, dispensing punishments as erratically as Jake Delhomme delivers passes.

Consider the wild inconsistency in Goodell's dealings with Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Oakland Raiders coach Tom Cable.

Roethlisberger twice was accused of sexual assault within a year. He was not arrested, let alone charged with a crime, though a civil suit out of Nevada remains unresolved. Goodell hit Roethlisberger with a conditional six-game suspension for a "pattern of behavior" and "bad judgments," which apparently included furnishing alcohol to minors.

What about Cable? How did he avoid a suspension despite exhibiting a "pattern of behavior" at least as disturbing as Roethlisberger's?

Four people have accused Cable of inflicting violence upon them, though, like Roethlisberger, he was never prosecuted.

ESPN reported last year that Cable's ex-wife and ex-girlfriend each said he hit them. The report uncovered divorce documents in which a third woman, Cable's second-wife, said "in the past he has been physically and verbally abusive to me."

Finally, assistant coach Randy Hanson accused Cable of breaking his jaw in an unprovoked training-camp attack last summer.

Anyone detecting a pattern here?

Other assistant coaches present for the incident did not corroborate Hanson's story, thus helping their boss avoid prosecution.

Which raises a question: Should be players and coaches be treated differently under the personal-conduct policy?

According to Goodell's wicky-wacky code, the answer is yes and it is coaches who should be held to a higher standard.

Yeah, I'm confused, too, but bear with me while we read Goodell's latest punishment letter, delivered Friday after he suspended Detroit Lions president Tom Lewand a first-time offender for 30 days on account of a DUI.

Wrote Roger: "Those who occupy leadership positions are held to a higher standard of conduct that exceeds what is ordinarily expected of players or members of the general public."

I believe coaching, too, would be considered a leadership position, but let's get back to the DUI dilemma.

Drunken driving, according to a San Diego Union-Tribune report, is the most common crime committed by NFL players. A player has been arrested for DUI more than once a month, on average, since 2000.

The situation prompted the league to join Mothers Against Drunk Driving in a partnership, one that is not to be confused with the NFL's $1.2 billion deal with Anheuser-Busch.

Anyway, when then-Cleveland Browns receiver Donte Stallworth pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter after a crash in which he struck and killed a man, Goodell suspended him for the 2009 season (Stallworth now plays for the Baltimore Ravens).

That contrasted markedly to Goodell's handling of star defensive end Jared Allen, who was issued a four-game suspension in 2007 after a third DUI charge (anyone detecting a pattern there?). Goodell reduced the suspension to two games in July of 2007, three months after the personal-conduct policy was instituted.

Meanwhile, Goodell recently announced that San Diego Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson, coming off a second DUI conviction, will be suspended for a measly three games.

Call me crazy, but shouldn't the NFL's punishment for DUI be based on what you do before you get behind the wheel and not what happens after?

If you drink and drive, you're liable to kill somebody. Period. What happens before you turn the ignition is controllable; what happens afterward is random. The punishment for a DUI even a first one should be a one-year suspension.

Yeah, a standard policy.

Imagine.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_692918.html

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Starkey: NFL justice a joke

I love Joe Starkey.

I've always said that Joe Starkey was about the only Pittsburgh media writer that I enjoy reading. I don't always agree with him but he generally doesn't write in order to pander. If Jim Wexell and Dale Lolley wrote for one of Pittsburgh's 2 media rags I'd include them with Starkey.

Just a fantastic piece by Starkey the whole way that nobody with any reasonable logic can disagree with.

As much as I could go on and on and on and ***** about Roger Goodell and kiss the *** of this article, the main issue lies with the leagues owners who all appear to be in 120% favor of roger Goodell's fascist rule when it comes to conduct policy. Look at your very own Rooney's. They ****ing offered up Ben Roethlisberger on a silver platter. They didn't contest the absurdity of a 6 game suspension, the money they could lose if the suspension costs the Steelers games and a shot at the revenue generating Post Season. Not a **** thing. They encouraged the ******* and then stood behind the inconsistent commisioner more than their own player.

It's not just the Steelers either. Players of various teams are getting suspended by Goodell and it's being done based on a set of rules that DON'T EXIST. the rules don't exist, the lengths don't exist. nothing. Roger Goodell can do whatever the hell he wants and that's nothing but BAD for the NFL and of course the fans
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

This whole thing has become a joke!

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Boom! Starkey hits the nail fairly and squarely on the head. This is the problem with discretionary "justice" - it was reasonable in a feudal system, but within any modern context...
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

BRAVO to Joe Starkey.He summed up what we all feel PERFECTLY!!!This article should be picked up by a national paper and Goodell's reign of bull**** should be thrown under the microscope.Guy has been making up two sets of rules since he's been in office.............and it all started with the Spygate fiasco and NO suspension.Pathetic.

Also,I am in complete agreement with Kipper's post as well.

Threads : 5

I agree with Kip & Les about the fluctuating penalty Goodell imposes. And "fluctuating" is probably the best term we could use here.

IIRC, didn't the NFL talk with the Steelers prior to suspending Ben? If so, maybe the NFL was going to suspend Ben for 4 games, but the Steelers (ie: Rooneys) added the additional 2 games to make sure Ben got the message that the organization has a little higher standards. The team seemed be constantly getting into trouble the last two season (not nearly as often as the Bengals or other teams) and Ben's second sexual assault charge (which was dropped) was the proverbial "straw breaking the camels back"?

Threads : 164

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BRAVO to Joe Starkey.He summed up what we all feel PERFECTLY!!!This article should be picked up by a national paper and Goodell's reign of bull**** should be thrown under the microscope.Guy has been making up two sets of rules since he's been in office.............and it all started with the Spygate fiasco and NO suspension.Pathetic.

Also,I am in complete agreement with Kipper's post as well.

Yeah, no two ways around this fact.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 271

Goodell is a ARROGANT *******

Threads : 87

I don't even want to get started on my hatred of that goat ****, dil****** godell. Godell is nothing more than a botched abortion and will totally **** up the NFL if he is allowed to continue his incompetent rule for long.

Threads : 691

I'm anxious to see the reception Goodell receives when he visits Latrobe on Thursday.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 5

BRAVO to Joe Starkey.He summed up what we all feel PERFECTLY!!!This article should be picked up by a national paper and Goodell's reign of bull**** should be thrown under the microscope.
    If only...

The players union needs to step up with getting these inconsistencies in the media. They are the ones being directly affected.
    Guy has been making up two sets of rules since he's been in office.............and it all started with the Spygate fiasco and NO suspension.Pathetic.
    There was something there... and the Owners - through the League, was in on it. The owners could have forced the issue- and brought light upon the evidence, but they let the whole thing just slide under the carpet. Without a peep.

Whatever degree of collusion existed to allow for that - seemingly allows for the ridiculous disparities in standard of behavior and punishment.

I put up a post on PS, that I'll put up here- I think the Rooneys had to be the driving influence behind Ben's suspension. Meaning- I think they essentially told Goodell: "We wan Ben suspended for at least 4 games- and up to 6 games.".

The post is long- so I'll put it in another thread.

.... and in summation... I think Goodell is an effing arsewhole...

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

I think the crux of the matter is that the league and the owners don't want players and coaches leaving the NFL and forming their own league. Can't beat a government sanctioned monopoly.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GeoPittsburghFan View Post
    I agree with Kip & Les about the fluctuating penalty Goodell imposes. And "fluctuating" is probably the best term we could use here.

IIRC, didn't the NFL talk with the Steelers prior to suspending Ben? If so, maybe the NFL was going to suspend Ben for 4 games, but the Steelers (ie: Rooneys) added the additional 2 games to make sure Ben got the message that the organization has a little higher standards. The team seemed be constantly getting into trouble the last two season (not nearly as often as the Bengals or other teams) and Ben's second sexual assault charge (which was dropped) was the proverbial "straw breaking the camels back"?
    this could be very true-the 2 games from rooney

Threads : 137

Starkey's saying what we've known all along, the NFL's personal conduct policy is an absolute ****ing joke.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by anpsteel View Post
    If only...

The players union needs to step up with getting these inconsistencies in the media. They are the ones being directly affected.

There was something there... and the Owners - through the League, was in on it. The owners could have forced the issue- and brought light upon the evidence, but they let the whole thing just slide under the carpet. Without a peep.

Whatever degree of collusion existed to allow for that - seemingly allows for the ridiculous disparities in standard of behavior and punishment.

I put up a post on PS, that I'll put up here- I think the Rooneys had to be the driving influence behind Ben's suspension. Meaning- I think they essentially told Goodell: "We wan Ben suspended for at least 4 games- and up to 6 games.".

[HIGH-LIGHT]The post is long- so I'll put it in another thread.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

.... and in summation... I think Goodell is an effing arsewhole...
    Waiting to read your post! ...and please don't put a link to that ******* crook's site (Planet Steelers) for me to read either

The Rooney thing is something that's been going through my head. They would be STUPID enough in 2010 to get their franchise QB suspended more games and cost them potentially the season and playoff revenue just so they could continue to try and "fool" some of the "dumb" Steelers Fans into believing that it's the 1950's and "golly-gee willickers" we just won't tolerate any of them there hooligans unless you do it in the name of God (James Harrison)
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information