Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Jeff Reed kicking up a fuss over contract

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers' Jeff Reed kicking up a fuss over contract

Jeff Reed will have to wait at least another year before possibly signing a long-term contract that would keep him with the Steelers until his career is over. And he is not happy about it.

Reed, who will earn $2,814,000 in 2010 after signing a one-year franchise tender, said he is "extremely" disappointed that the Steelers did not sign him to a longer contract before the start of training camp.

What's more, he believes he was misled by unspecified members of the organization about their intention of wanting to sign him to a multi-year deal.

"I'm not going to point anyone out or any statement out, but, yeah, I was told one thing and another thing happened," Reed said Saturday after practice at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. "I understand business moves, but I'm not a big fan of lying."

Reed, who converted 87 percent of his field-goal attempts in 2009 (27 for 31) and 83.3 percent in his eight-year career, said he was told by team president Art Rooney II on Friday that the Steelers would not be able to complete a long-term deal with him before the start of the 2010 regular season.

Part of the problem is that the Steelers had to sign tackle Flozell Adams to a two-year, $7.5 million contract after the season-ending injury to right tackle Willie Colon.

"I'm really disappointed ... extremely ... little bit bitter," Reed said. "That's probably not a good choice of words. I'm not here to burn bridges. I got to play football. I'm not happy, but I'm happy to be with all these guys and be a part of the organization.

"It's one of those things, life is not really fair. I've experienced that a few times in this league. I honestly feel that if you perform, no matter if you kick at Heinz field or a dome, as a kicker, you deserve to get compensated for it."

Reed was designated the team's franchise player in February, meaning he would earn the average of the top five kickers and punters in the National Football League in 2010. At the time, Rooney and director of football operations Kevin Colbert indicated they would like to sign Reed to a long-term deal that would allow him to finish his career with the Steelers, the only team for whom he has played.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213/1076855-66.stm

Colbert said Saturday it is the team's policy to not publicly discuss a player's contract status.

"I've talked to guys in the organization personally, one on one, about how I feel; that's the best way to do it," Reed said. "To get my business out in the media, out in public, is not the best way to portray yourself. But it hurts. I want to retire here. There's a possibility I still can retire here. But it looks like it's getting tougher."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213...#ixzz0vMFRyMvb
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers' Jeff Reed kicking up a fuss over contract

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jeff Reed will have to wait at least another year before possibly signing a long-term contract that would keep him with the Steelers until his career is over. And he is not happy about it.

Reed, who will earn $2,814,000 in 2010 after signing a one-year franchise tender, said he is "extremely" disappointed that the Steelers did not sign him to a longer contract before the start of training camp.

What's more, he believes he was misled by unspecified members of the organization about their intention of wanting to sign him to a multi-year deal.

"I'm not going to point anyone out or any statement out, but, yeah, I was told one thing and another thing happened," Reed said Saturday after practice at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. "I understand business moves, but [HIGH-LIGHT]I'm not a big fan of lying."[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Reed, who converted 87 percent of his field-goal attempts in 2009 (27 for 31) and 83.3 percent in his eight-year career, [HIGH-LIGHT]said he was told by team president Art Rooney II on Friday that the Steelers would not be able to complete a long-term deal with him before the start of the 2010 regular season.
    [/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Part of the problem is that the Steelers had to sign tackle Flozell Adams to a two-year, $7.5 million contract after the season-ending injury to right tackle Willie Colon.

"I'm really disappointed ... extremely ... little bit bitter," Reed said. "That's probably not a good choice of words. I'm not here to burn bridges. I got to play football. I'm not happy, but I'm happy to be with all these guys and be a part of the organization.

"It's one of those things, life is not really fair. I've experienced that a few times in this league. I honestly feel that if you perform, no matter if you kick at Heinz field or a dome, as a kicker, you deserve to get compensated for it."

Reed was designated the team's franchise player in February, meaning he would earn the average of the top five kickers and punters in the National Football League in 2010. At the time, Rooney and director of football operations Kevin Colbert indicated they would like to sign Reed to a long-term deal that would allow him to finish his career with the Steelers, the only team for whom he has played.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213/1076855-66.stm

Colbert said Saturday it is the team's policy to not publicly discuss a player's contract status.

"I've talked to guys in the organization personally, one on one, about how I feel; that's the best way to do it," Reed said. "To get my business out in the media, out in public, is not the best way to portray yourself. But it hurts. I want to retire here. There's a possibility I still can retire here. But it looks like it's getting tougher."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213...#ixzz0vMFRyMvb
    I've said it before and I will say it again Art II and company aren't doing a very good job of maintaining the Steeler way. Beware, lest you be caught unaware when Art II ruins this organization.

This is in no way an endorsement of that ding bat Reed, just my suspicion of the competence of Art II and his band of miscreants.

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Someone ought to tell Reed that "I'm Not a Fan of Drunken MORONS beating up defenseless Paper Towel Dispensers & trying to Fight Police either" Get rid of this Room Temperature IQ ******bag

Threads : 186

If I were a kicker in the NFL with his conversion percentages I'd love to be tagged for a year and make the big bucks. Even if the Steelers let him go next year I'm sure some team will pick him up fast and give him a long term contract. He should count his blessings the ungrateful prick.

Threads : 85

im pretty sure we can find someone to replace reed no problem. We have just been brainwashed into thinking that reed is the only one who can kick in heinz field.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    im pretty sure we can find someone to replace reed no problem. We have just been brainwashed into thinking that reed is the only one who can kick in heinz field.
    The brainwashing has not worked on me. I hope they do get rid of him next year. **** head would rather have a long term contract than begin the season with a starting right tackle. WTF does he care, he isn't throwing the ball. Not sure I have ever seen a kicker as selfish as he is. **** him.

reed is about one more alcohol related incident from being fired. I dont think he realizes it.

Threads : 88

Reed isn't irreplaceable. A good kicker would be able to learn the nuances of Heinz in a few weeks, given 4-6 hours a day.

Not rocking the boat would have been a really good idea. Sitting down and shutting up right now might work equally well for him.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 3263

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

thats a lovely skirt he is wearing. It really matches his whining

Threads : 5

That is definitely not the most flattering of pictures...

He looks like he is about to cry.

Threads : 3263

Exactly... Combine that with his rolled-down socks, and that little scowl on his face, it's a mighty telling photo.

... I've been one of the guys supporting him, but basically he just needs to STFU.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 0

As a kicker he should be glad he is even making 2.8. Whats with these players who seem to think they are above everyone else? There is a ton of uncertainty with labor negotiations you cant just throw money to everyone without knowing what the future lies for everyone.

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    "To get my business out in the media, out in public, is not the best way to portray yourself.
    Ummmm,isn't that EXACTLY what you are doing here,Jeff??Do me a favor and STFU about your "low" contract.I'm worrying about how to feed my kids while you are worrying about having to downgrade from a Ferrari to a Porsche.Whiney little bastard.

Threads : 31

A kicker who ranked dead last in the NFL in kickoff distance to be whining about getting a long term contract ? HAHA HAHA! I was 100 million percent against him signing the tender. They can sign a kicker off the street to do a better job on kickoffs than this guy. Yeah he is accurate on his field goals but last year he dropped off slightly. Open the competition !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information