Thread: Week 1 QB is priority

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Week 1 QB is priority

Steelers coach Tomlin: Week 1 QB is priority
    By Mark Kaboly, MCKEESPORT DAILY NEWS
    Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mike Tomlin hasn't yet tipped his hand whether or not Byron Leftwich or Dennis Dixon will be the starting quarterback for the Steelers Week 1 of the season.

But one thing Tomlin made clear Friday as the Steelers reported to St. Vincent College was that he is more interested in getting one of those guys ready for the beginning of the season rather than keeping Ben Roethlisberger sharp for his eventual return.

[IMGL]http://i29.tinypic.com/292smqr.jpg[/IMGL]"We are going to make sure at the end of this thing that Ben has had a productive camp," Tomlin said. "But as we see it at this juncture, our focus is going to be who our quarterback is going to be the week of the opener."

Roethlisberger is suspended for as many as the first six games of the season. He is allowed to participate in training camp but will not be permitted to be around the team after the final cut-down day, which is set for Sept. 4.

Leftwich will run with the first team, followed by Dixon. After that, Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch will fill in for the remaining snaps.

Tomlin did leave himself some wiggle room for adjustments as camp progresses.

"We are not going to lock ourselves down to any prescribed rotation," Tomlin said. "Our job is to not overanalyze the situation but to deal with the situation."

Leftwich, an 8-year veteran, said he doesn't need No.1 reps in camp to be ready for the season opener.

"It is a new situation for everybody, and I am quite sure I will be ready," he said.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] When Dick LeBeau is inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Aug. 7, the entire team is going to Canton, Ohio, with him. Tomlin said the Steelers will make the couple-hour bus ride to Ohio to support their beloved defensive coordinator.

"What a great opportunity to have a field trip for a football team," Tomlin said. "It is a very special day for him, and by no means do we intend to miss it."

The Steelers have a night practice Friday at Latrobe High School and are scheduled to leave for the induction ceremony at 2 p.m. the next day for the 7 p.m. ceremony.

The team will return to St. Vincent that night.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Newly acquired offensive lineman Flozell Adams played every game over the past 11 years at left tackle. But the man they call "Hotel" will be in some unfamiliar territory when the Steelers hit the practice field for the first time. Adams, who signed a 2-year deal Thursday, will make the switch to right tackle and compete with Jonathan Scott for the starting position, which came open with the season-ending injury to Willie Colon last month.

"He is committed to fit it, and those are his words, not mine," Tomlin said.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Even though Max Starks, who spent his first three years in the league at right tackle, offered to switch to the other side, Tomlin declined.

"We have an issue at one position, and that is right tackle," Tomlin said. "I am not going to make it an issue at two positions unless I absolutely have to."

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Everybody who took part in the annual run test at St. Vincent College had little difficulty. However, Tomlin did excuse a handful of players from taking part, including James Farrior, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, Hines Ward and some other "30-something" guys.

"There were some veteran players excused at my discretion," Tomlin said. "I offer no explanation for that other than say they are (exempt due to) their years of service."

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] LB Andre Frazier (knee) and OL Chris Scott (foot) will start camp on the physically unable to perform list.

[HIGH-LIGHT]QUOTABLE[/HIGH-LIGHT]

"He told the young guys the first day of minicamp: 'I don't know if you know this, but I am going into the Hall of Fame.' The very next day, he said the same thing." defensive end Brett Keisel about defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

[HIGH-LIGHT]DIGITS[/HIGH-LIGHT]

6 Years in a row the Steelers first round pick did not hold out
    43 Years the Steelers have held training camp at St. Vincent

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_692840.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Boomerang

Default Re: Week 1 QB is priority

We didn't bring Leftwich back because we knew Dixon was our starter. Let's just name Leftwich the starter and move on already. One position you don't play games with is the QB position.

We already have a bunch of question marks going into this season let's not add the QB starter to it too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information